• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SS Symbols - New Script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
We've seen TP-Hylian on the box art, but there are several other sets of symbols that I don't think we've seen before. Surprisingly, none of these correlate to OoT-Hylian. None of them look quite like the Sky Language either. Here are a few to get a collection started...

dowsing.png
item.png
ss_pedestal.png

These all look similar, and one of them is actually repeated between the dowsing screen (bottom of the leftmost image), item screen (top of the middle image), and the Skyward Sword pedestal (second symbol from the right on the rightmost image), so I think these may represent a new written language used by pre-Hylians. Another one appears twice in the dowsing image.

There's another set of symbols on the box art and the big cogwheel behind Zelda in one of the trailers. Post any other symbols you find, too.

Last edited:

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Hmm some of them do resemble Japanese Katakana and Hiragana to me, similar to how TP's "Hylian" is a somehow distorted Latin alphabet.
So in the left image I can see following resemblances (starting from top and going clockwise):
1. a bit like ヨ or alternatively コ with an extra line in the middle.
2. Can't really tell, maybe a very distorted and mirrored ゆ.
3. same as 1
4. ???
5. Vaguely(!) タ
6. A bit like ち
7. Like フ with a misplaced (han)dakuten.
Second pic (from top clockwise again):
8. Same as 5
9. ???
10. A bit like ケ
11. A bit like チ
Last pic from left to right:
12. Like ス with an additional horizontal line.
13. Like て with an additional diagonal line to the right.
14. Quite a lot like ル
15. Same as 5
16. ???

Of course those are just guesses and it doesn't fit 100%, but maybe that's where they got the idea from.

Ganondork

goo
Well, I don't see exactly how there wouldn't be a pre-Hylian language. The Gerudos had a written language, and so did the Hylians. For whatever reason, other, non-humanoid-type species don't have a written language, like some of the more primitive Natives in the Americas.

Like I said earlier, I'm not sure why they wouldn't have their own language. It could serve as a more universal language that every group speaks, and then it deteriorates to a set of other languages. This makes me reminiscent of Latin, and Zelda has shown some instances of following more Historical things. One such thing includes the form of "Dark Ages" Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link went through, where there weren't any technology. This idea is only confirmed by the large amount of technology in Skyward Sword, very much like how areas like Egypt were more technological, and then lost all of their technology.

As blubb has already stated, there are instances of Latin, so Zelda is more than likely trying to keep a small historical basis. And all of this information about history may even lead us to figuring out the time line, just by matching Zelda with historical events.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've collected all the Zelda scripts known to me, and can safely say these are new.

Skyloftian text maybe?
Skyloftian's some how may speak a different language from Hylian. Which would make a lot of sense since the game starts off before Hyrule was Hyrule...

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Maybe when you collect the 7 shards you form a word on the goddess statue and can enter a temple.

vcdomith

Mad Artist
For me it just seems something like "decorations", decorations to make these things not just plain and "ugly"(for a lack of a better word XD), but it would have no sense for placing words/symbols on the items/dowsing menu

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
For me it just seems something like "decorations", decorations to make these things not just plain and "ugly"(for a lack of a better word XD), but it would have no sense for placing words/symbols on the items/dowsing menu

But since when does the Zelda series just put symbols that look like some sort of syllabary on important places like those? ;D

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
looks like ZI was more motivated to decipher the language.

EDIT: wish I could bump this...on the second page already =/

GTTV trailer had some more writing. Plenty of recurring symbols from before.

ss-writing.png

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sarinilli

looks like ZI was more motivated to decipher the language.

Not just them. If only I'd found out they were in on it before I put out all the effort on my own a week later than they did. *laughs* Only missing four letters. Here's the most up to date mapping chart, courtesy yours truly. ♥

SSHylianChart_BySarinilli.jpg

I have screenshots to reference most if not all of it if anyone's curious. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
K

KHHero

The first pic says "Dowsing", the second says 'Item" and the third says "Hylia". Some of the letters share the same symbol but I know what they say. So, there you go. Translated for you ^^

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I would consider the true Hylian language to have been created post Skyward Sword.

After the events of Skyward Sword we perceive that the people of Skyloft gradually returned to the surface. I think it was mentioned that the time between when Hylia sealed Demise and when Demise was defeated was 1000 years. This would have been a large disconnection between when Hylia watched over them, so in my opinionlanguage and symbols may have been lost. I would pin point the time when the Hylian language was founded to be at the startof the Era of Chaos or the Era of Prosperity. Within the Era of Prosperity, this is where the Kingdom of Hyrule was founded and it could be an indication of a unification between the Hylians.

What I am prospecting that the symbols we see are very much ancient even in present Skyward Sword, this could have been the symbols that the God's left or created by the Goddess Hylia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom