• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SS Bokoblins. Did You Dislike Them Too?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This thread is dedicated to the most common enemy in SS. The Bokoblin. I want to find out what everybody thinks about them in SS. I personally have an intense dislike of them and I want to explain why.

Since the very first trailer I have never liked the design. I think they look absolutely ridiculous. I liked the design of the wind waker Bokoblin, so far it is my favourite design for Bokoblins in the series. I think their design was very fitting for the toon style of the game,they had pig snouts just like Moblins, which makes sense as they are the primary unit in Ganon's army. This made them look like a legitimate enemy which could be commonly found but still be some kind of threat.
Wind waker bokoblin.jpg

In TP we had Bokoblins with a more goblin/imp like appearance, they fit in with the more realistic style of the game like WW's Bokoblins fit in with the toon style. These guys were not pretty and there is probably no way you would actually want to encounter one. Again they looked like they could be perhaps a bit of a threat. They definitely looked like the bad guys even if some carried only wooden swords.

tp Bokoblin.jpg

And now we come to the SS Bokoblin. There is absolutely nothing about their design which fits in with the game. SS generally used character models that would fit in with TP's more realistic look but with the less realistic colour scheme and art style. Most characters in SS would look quite in place in TP's world with a tweak to the textures. Not the SS Bokoblin design though, that would look silly in any world, even in the heavily stylised world of the Wind waker were things look good when they are disproportionate the SS Bokoblin would look ridiculous. In no way does it look threatening, it has a rounded bulbous nose like Mario has, a pot belly and an oversized head. The facial expressions displayed by the Bokoblin are quite laughable and the rounded eyes make the Bokoblin look more sad than angry. And those teeth that come from its lips instead of its mouth, and that silly tuft of white hair on it forehead *shivers*

SS bokoblin.jpg Now that really churns the stomach.:sick:

What makes the whole thing worse is that these Bokoblins are everywhere in SS. This is the most common enemy in the game, and instead of having lots of different types of enemy such as Bulblins or miniblins, they simply use bokoblin recolours and have them a bit stronger or weaker or have them wield electrified swords, each of them looking just as ridiculous as the last. I dislike the SS Bokoblin because we should have had much more enemy variety besides them. There were so many enemies that I wanted to see in SS that never appeared. Darknuts, iron knuckles etc.

When you descend the sealed grounds battling the hoards of enemies, that would have been so much cooler had the Bokoblins looked different. They don't even compliment Ghirahim, they are not fabulous enough. WW Bokoblins complimented Ganon because he can become piglike and they resembled pigs. I JUST DON'T GET THE SS BOKOBLIN DESIGN! IT'S HORRIBLE!

That is enough complaining from me for now. I want to hear your thoughts on the SS Bokoblin. Do you hate them for the same reasons I do? Do you hate them for a different reason? Or do you actually like them and their design? Post your thoughts.

at first, I hated the design of the bokoblins too.
however, I somewhat just go over it.

yet, I agree when you say they are everywhere.
it's sort of like they didn't want to think of other enemies, so they spammed them.
the worst ones are probably the electical bokoblins.
annoying. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I really dislike Bokoblins. They look dumb, and I HATE the noises they make. And they were EVERYWHERE. And they are sooooooo annoying in the horde battle at the end. They look like grumpy old men!

Last edited:

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
About all the Skyward Sword enemies looking like they fit in Twilight Princess... well, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that initially, SS WAS supposed to look like TP. The 2009 concept art picture that we got, at least, seems to indicate that.

I guess I can see where you're coming from with the Bokoblins, haha. They did kind of overuse their design everywhere... but I honestly never had a problem with them. They're annoying, yes, but I didn't think any less than them of the Bokoblins from other games. I never considered them as looking out of place in the game's style.

Well, I didnt like their underpants... A tiger and zebra underpants? They should have looked a little more badass too. Not a Mario nose (agreed with that), they should not look so wimpy. They werent in good shape neither. They should have had som muscels and not a little fat belly hanging (the big ones too, they belly was creepy to slash).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
(the big ones too, they belly was creepy to slash)

Yeah the Moblins. I think that Nintendo really put allot of effort into the physics on their bellies. It's kind of disturbing really, although I found it hilarious that they would actually put something like that in. Belly physics. I don't know any other game that has that.

Yeah, I really dislike Bokoblins. They look dumb, and I HATE the noises they make. And they were EVERYWHERE. And they are sooooooo annoying in the horde battle at the end.

Wow, I was gonna say something along the lines. XD Their overall look, the noise they make when they attack you, the fact that they are the most common enemy in the game....augh! They get in my nerves soooo much!! XD Technoblins are the WORST, using weapons with electricity to try and intimidate you.... >: ( I mean I guess it makes sense that they are everywhere because Ghirahim is their leader and he's using them to find Zelda, but really? >_>

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Honestly, I think their new design fits SS better than their original design. Can't explain exactly why, though. I just do. That said, I actually like the Bokoblins in SS. They were really good prototypical enemies and provided a nice challenge when in a group, especially when one of them had a monster horn.

personally i hated them, they did not look or sound cool in any way. and they where just so annoying when the kept blocking your sword, and you would actually have to try to hit them, when all you wanted was to get past them :(

Im ok with the bokoblins overall, but not how they look in Skyward Sword. Looks like they are taken out of a cartoon for kids under 6.

I don't dislike the bokoblins, but they aren't my favorite type of enemies.
What i do dislike is the fact that there isn't a variety of enemies, that is what bothers me.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh I didn't dislike them. In fact I thought they were funny in some occassions. I like the Bulblins more though. They are very dumb. You can easily sneak up behind them and fall asleep and they won't notice you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom