• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tears of the Kingdom [SPOILERS] Tears of the Kingdom story discussion

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Wait, really? Someone else lives in your house from BotW? Pretty nonsense. Hope Link at least got a decent payout for it.
Yup. One of my big gripes with the world so far is that it does its best to pretend that Breath of the Wild didn't happen. Storylines are ignored and almost everyone acts like it's their first time meeting Link.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Ugh. Even the new champions? Like, key characters? Or are we just talking random NPCs?
Almost every character. The new champion of the Rito is totally disregarded in favor of a different character. Major NPCs will act like they haven't met Link before.

Last edited:
Almost every character. The new champion of the Rito is totally disregarded in favor of a different character. Major NPCs will act like they haven't met Link before.
As usual, Nintendo assumes that first time players are idiots that can't just look up the story of BotW.

Warning: Heavy spoilers for Tears of the Kingdom:

I'm about 15 minutes into the first video and I have a question. Yes, I have a question and I demand an HONEST ANSWER, ok? Is this a Tear of the Kingdom in his forehead jewel at 15:54 and 16:21!? I didn't hallucinate that, did I, you all see it too, right? Isn't this the same kind of jewel as the one Zelda just picked on the ground a minute earlier? What in the world!? And if it's a Tear of the Kingdom in his forehead jewel, who put it there!? What the heck!? Please post some explanations if you think you have any. I'm just baffled. Please, answer the question if you want to and DON'T watch the rest of the video IF you don't want to be exposed to any more spoilers or any part of the game you haven't played through yet.

As for me, I don't have a Switch and that's not going to change any time soon, also I haven't played Zelda games in years (for many reasons), but I always watch the Livestreams or videos when a new Zelda game come out, out of curiosity. So I'm currently watching part 1 of a let's play/walkthrough and I intend to watch at least one full let's play or full Walkthrough just to get at the bottom of the mysteries in this new game. I might not play Zelda games anymore, but I always watch a Let's Play of the new game out of curiosity and I still love theorizing (whether it's coming up with my own theories or discovering other people's theories).

Thanks and have a nice day,

Kat23.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Warning: Heavy spoilers for Tears of the Kingdom:

I'm about 15 minutes into the first video and I have a question. Yes, I have a question and I demand an HONEST ANSWER, ok? Is this a Tear of the Kingdom in his forehead jewel at 15:54 and 16:21!? I didn't hallucinate that, did I, you all see it too, right? Isn't this the same kind of jewel as the one Zelda just picked on the ground a minute earlier? What in the world!? And if it's a Tear of the Kingdom in his forehead jewel, who put it there!? What the heck!? Please post some explanations if you think you have any. I'm just baffled. Please, answer the question if you want to and DON'T watch the rest of the video IF you don't want to be exposed to any more spoilers or any part of the game you haven't played through yet.

As for me, I don't have a Switch and that's not going to change any time soon, also I haven't played Zelda games in years (for many reasons), but I always watch the Livestreams or videos when a new Zelda game come out, out of curiosity. So I'm currently watching part 1 of a let's play/walkthrough and I intend to watch at least one full let's play or full Walkthrough just to get at the bottom of the mysteries in this new game. I might not play Zelda games anymore, but I always watch a Let's Play of the new game out of curiosity and I still love theorizing (whether it's coming up with my own theories or discovering other people's theories).

Thanks and have a nice day,

Kat23.

Yes, that is one of the gems. Unfortunately, they're never referred to as tears.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yup. One of my big gripes with the world so far is that it does its best to pretend that Breath of the Wild didn't happen. Storylines are ignored and almost everyone acts like it's their first time meeting Link.
blatant lie
every major character says "oh link there you are I was worried when you and zelda disappeared!"

the game's story has pretty major implications as to the origins of the dragons and the costume found along the "dragon" river in faron being a zonai costume supports that implication even further

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
blatant lie
every major character says "oh link there you are I was worried when you and zelda disappeared!"

the game's story has pretty major implications as to the origins of the dragons and the costume found along the "dragon" river in faron being a zonai costume supports that implication even further
A lot of major characters do, but virtually every character you might have interacted with during a sidequest has totally forgotten you. Even the Terry Town residents act like they've never met you before.

Mikey the Moblin

Even the Terry Town residents act like they've never met you before.
Hudson and rhondson? Even the other -sons felt acquainted with me when I spoke to them
Random nobodies sure they don't remember me but I don't remember them either so like understandable? Could also argue that the minor side quests weren't canon and the major ones were

I really can't disagree more here; I was surprised at how much the game expected you to have played botw already. It's probably the most sequel-y sequel in Zelda history

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Hudson and rhondson? Even the other -sons felt acquainted with me when I spoke to them
Random nobodies sure they don't remember me but I don't remember them either so like understandable? Could also argue that the minor side quests weren't canon and the major ones were

I really can't disagree more here; I was surprised at how much the game expected you to have played botw already. It's probably the most sequel-y sequel in Zelda history
Honestly, I see it the opposite. The game seems hesitant to ever really acknowledge anything that happened in Breath of the Wild, to the point that Zelda is made to look like a ****ing idiot by not recognizing Ganon's name or his face despite being the one to do so in BotW.

Mikey the Moblin

There are weird aspects of it like the story in general not really seeming to line up with botw and basically all traces of ancient tech being completely gone, but at the same time the game starts mid stride, which is only really the case for Majora's mask, and that ends up covering it by taking place in another dimension

Usually sequels just make cheeky references at best to their precursor, but there's enough dialogue mentioning link saving the world a couple years ago that it's clear it still happened, and a lot of stuff just doesn't even bother getting explained. There's definitely an assumption by the game that the player has already beaten botw

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
There are weird aspects of it like the story in general not really seeming to line up with botw and basically all traces of ancient tech being completely gone, but at the same time the game starts mid stride, which is only really the case for Majora's mask, and that ends up covering it by taking place in another dimension

Usually sequels just make cheeky references at best to their precursor, but there's enough dialogue mentioning link saving the world a couple years ago that it's clear it still happened, and a lot of stuff just doesn't even bother getting explained. There's definitely an assumption by the game that the player has already beaten botw
You can be a sequel to a game while still acknowledging the stuff that came before. That... feels like the purpose of a sequel. TotK is more of a "sequel" in that it just pretends the events of BotW didn't happen. Heck, Age of Calamity is more of a follow-up to BotW than TotK is.

Kogasa

desu desu desu desu
It seems that those developer comments of Breath of the Wild taking place "such a long time in the future that the other games don't matter" tracks, as Tears of the Kingdom has more or less completely written its own origin for Hyrule and the existence of Ganondorf. They don't even know what the triforce is and the idea of a legendary hero did not seem to exist in the glimpses to the past that I've seen so far. I'm also left wondering where the hell does the master sword fall in all of this, Rauru seemed to be unaware of it's existence as well (or else he would have used it).

It seems that in this "founding of Hyrule" era shown in the memories, Ganondorf showed up with no one around to oppose him (Link, Zelda, and the master sword), to a Hyrule with no real knowledge of the goddesses, the triforce, or the master sword.

Mikey the Moblin

You can be a sequel to a game while still acknowledging the stuff that came before. That... feels like the purpose of a sequel. TotK is more of a "sequel" in that it just pretends the events of BotW didn't happen. Heck, Age of Calamity is more of a follow-up to BotW than TotK is.
I think the main difference is that there are bits of tears that I think wouldn't have made sense if you didn't play botw and I would love for someone who knows nothing about botw to play tears and share their experience to help

Usually a sequel, especially one in a YA series, takes the time to rehash old points from the previous book that become relevant again, like where we met this character or the last time our hero was in this town. I can think of a bunch of Holmes stories that casually reference older cases, implying a loose timeline, but otherwise they stand alone. If the reader needs to know something from a previous book, they're told it again

Tears doesn't do that all the time it felt like so I'm surprised because I want to say video games tend to go even farther in the opposite direction and have the only through line between a series be characters

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom