• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tears of the Kingdom [SPOILERS] Tears of the Kingdom story discussion

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Spoiler-alert-news-feature.jpg

It should go without saying that this is a spoiler heavy thread. Since Tears of the Kingdom is now floating across the nebulous waves of the internet ocean, gameplay and story details have cropped up. There's a good chance that at least a few of us have dabbled in the game early thanks to a leaker that Nintendo was far too slow to clamp down on.

Seeing as the game doesn't properly release until May 12th, please provide some context for any big story or gameplay spoilers. It'd suck to be just starting out and then stumble across a spoiler related to the final boss fight against Punished Vaati.

Consider this a thread where the big spoilers related to specific aspects of the story and the game can be discussed. Myself? I'm only about thirty minutes in so far, and I've got one big thing to say:

I was expecting Zelda to be tossed in the closet within the span of an hour, but not within ten minutes. :eyes:

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Despite the game leaking nobody has even seen the final boss yet so I think it is safe to say that you can't just go up and beat the game right away without doing the story this time around. This is something which I am pleased with as I didn't like how BoTW's story was trivialised by not having to experience any of it and it all being meaningless

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Despite the game leaking nobody has even seen the final boss yet so I think it is safe to say that you can't just go up and beat the game right away without doing the story this time around. This is something which I am pleased with as I didn't like how BoTW's story was trivialised by not having to experience any of it and it all being meaningless
I do think being able to go and fight Ganon right away made the fight more of a thing that the player prepared for. Besides, he was gonna kill anyone who unknowingly approached him right away.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So, I'm out of the starting area and wandering around the main are of Hyrule. The biggest impression the game has left on me so far is the story. It's... kind of everything I was afraid the story was going to be. There are too many hard-coded objectives that just involve you running back and forth between characters. I don't like that Zelda is being treated like she was in Skyward Sword: a goal you keep having to chase without doing much.

I think my guess from way back about a much more narrative story with a similar background open world was accurate.{/ispoiler]

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
oh also, I kinda do want to know who the mystery woman in the trailer is if you came across that
simply put, is it hylia? zelda? or someone new? (if someone new, don't specify)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I do think being able to go and fight Ganon right away made the fight more of a thing that the player prepared for. Besides, he was gonna kill anyone who unknowingly approached him right away.
He was killed the first day by some players. Sure most would have been deterred but still the plot is actually pointless and doesn't have any effect on you finishing the game.
So, I'm out of the starting area and wandering around the main are of Hyrule. The biggest impression the game has left on me so far is the story. It's... kind of everything I was afraid the story was going to be. There are too many hard-coded objectives that just involve you running back and forth between characters. I don't like that Zelda is being treated like she was in Skyward Sword: a goal you keep having to chase without doing much.

I think my guess from way back about a much more narrative story with a similar background open world was accurate.{/ispoiler]
Sounds wonderful, back to the way the story should be as far as I am concerned. I'm gonna try and avoid spoilers from now on as I'm sold on this game.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
He was killed the first day by some players. Sure most would have been deterred but still the plot is actually pointless and doesn't have any effect on you finishing the game.

Sounds wonderful, back to the way the story should be as far as I am concerned. I'm gonna try and avoid spoilers from now on as I'm sold on this game.
Then those players did well and beat Ganon when they were ready and strong, not after hitting an arbitrary marker in the story. When a game props up an easy boss as some test of skill, it doesn't feel good to overcome. When a strong boss is propped up as a test of skill it becomes a more satisfying victory. :eyes:

I'd directly compare it to venturing into the Catacombs at the very beginning of Dark Souls. It's not the intended path, but you can cut your way into it if you're skilled enough and ration your resources. There's no closed door with a sign on it indicating that you need to go and ring the two bells before you can go inside.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So, I've played a great deal more since my last post. I've finally picked at the game's main plot, including its replacement for BotW's memories, and I've got one big gripe: Zelda's story is the story we should be playing. Her journey trying to return to the present while trapped in the past feels like the story we should be playing.

Is there any kind of return of musical elements? By that I mean is there an instrument we play or something? I'm guessing no, but I'm happy to be surprised, since that's something I really miss.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Is there any kind of return of musical elements? By that I mean is there an instrument we play or something? I'm guessing no, but I'm happy to be surprised, since that's something I really miss.
No, there aren't any musical elements returning. There is a sidequest involving a band, but that's about as close as the game comes to anything instrument related.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Just reached a side quest where you get to buy and build your own mini home near Tarry Town. Rings a bit hollow after going through a similar quest in BotW only to have that home be occupied by someone else in TotK..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom