• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors (spoilers) Hyrule Warriors: Gerudo Symbol on Villains Weapon

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You'll have to look closely to see this one, but at the top of one of the new villains weapon, there is a symbol that appears to be that of the Gerudo tribe.
to those unfamiliar, or who have just forgotten, here is the symbol:
lozgerudosymbolbycherry.jpg

And below is the image of the villainous Valga holding his weapon, if you look closely at the top, there is the familiar symbol
hw_44__large.jpg

This symbol is usually associated with Ganondorf. Valga is clearly not Ganondorf and due to his white beard, i don't think he is a Gerudo. I believe that due to the reuse of SS's bokoblins, that this game will take place after SS, but before Ganondorf has obtained the triforce. There is also something that looks suspiciously like the mirror of twilight behind images of the witch Shia

hw_35__large.jpg

If i were to guess this would mean the game takes place during the interloper war/civil war period. In FSA there is said to be a dark mirror that was used to seal away a demon tribe. It is unclear if the two mirrors are the same and Hyrule Historia leaves the answer ambiguous. I will assume they are the same thing and the mirror will be used to do some sealing in this game. Though I did not make this thread to discuss the mirror of twilight, I have needed to bring it up to clarify where I think this game takes place. Assuming i am right and this game takes place during the war mentioned in OOT, the presence of the Gerudo symbol on Valga's weapon could very well mean the involvement of Ganondorf. We know, he was involved in the war and fought against the king, and I see him manipulating events and people in this game. It is possible he has had a hand in corrupting Shia. And due to the presence of the gerudo symbol on Valga's weapon, he is probably in Ganondorf's pocket.

Those are my thoughts. I'd be interested to hear what everybody else thinks about the symbols presence.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm taking all this very lightly at the moment. Plus I'm kind of scared that, if all this is meant to be "canon", it will contradict the lore and events within the timeline. I'd be really annoyed if that was the case.

Part of me is kind of brushing this game away as something non canon to the main arc, with it being simply a spin off within its own self-contained universe free to explore any plot it chooses without interfering with the fragile set of events that make up the series we all know.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm taking all this very lightly at the moment. Plus I'm kind of scared that, if all this is meant to be "canon", it will contradict the lore and events within the timeline. I'd be really annoyed if that was the case.
Mr Aounuma is supervising so if it is canon, i doubt there would be any massive contradiction.

At the very least all this proves is that the Gerudo will most likely make an appearance in this game as well as Ganondorf and that this Valga guy has an alliance with the Gerudo or is a creation of Ganondorf's or whatever.

Regarding whether this is Canon or not... I don't particularly think it is. It's just a spin-off by it's own merit and wouldn't make sense if it was Canon because the player is gonna save Zelda and defeat the bad guys, Hyrule is saved etc.

The whole cause of the war mentioned in Ocarina of Time was that people wanted the Triforce and gain control of the sacred realm, yet the whole purpose of the quest in Hyrule Warriors is that Zelda has been kidnapped and the royal guard, including Link, is sent on a quest to save her. We've heard nothing about the triforce nor the sacred realm at this point, so it doesn't make sense for this "war" to be the same one in the core series, if the whole purpose of this quest is to save Princess Zelda.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Regarding whether this is Canon or not... I don't particularly think it is. It's just a spin-off by it's own merit and wouldn't make sense if it was Canon because the player is gonna save Zelda and defeat the bad guys, Hyrule is saved etc.
Hyrule was saved, the interlopers were sealed in the mirror of twilight and the king then unified Hyrule and made it into the peaceful land we see at the beginning of OOT.

The whole cause of the war mentioned in Ocarina of Time was that people wanted the Triforce and gain control of the sacred realm, yet the whole purpose of the quest in Hyrule Warriors is that Zelda has been kidnapped and the royal guard, including Link, is sent on a quest to save her. We've heard nothing about the triforce nor the sacred realm at this point,
The triforce has been mentioned. Shia's purpose was to 'protect the equilibrium of the triforce'
It could indeed start as a simple kidnapping, it generally does. But look at the amount of bokoblins there are storming hyrule. Surely if there was just a simple kidnapping why would they need to be trying to take over. There is some sinister forces at work here, i doubt the plot will be as simplistic as just rescuing zelda. If the story is anything like that of other zelda games, there will be a huge plot twist. The triforce is implied to be whole in this, which makes it a pre OOT game. If Ganondorf is in this, it would make sense to do the war story, since he fought against the king. It would also explain how the triforce came to be sealed.

Last edited:
As a spin-off, this game is non-canon (or is at least stated to be at this point), so a precise timeline placement may not exist at all. However, due to the low quality of the video screenshot, the marking on the weapon may or may not actually be a version of the Gerudo insignia. It has had some blatant, as well as really strange and abstract appearances throughout the series, and not all of them are directly associated with the Gerudo Tribe. The most fitting example to the topic at hand is the version that appeared on Zant's robes in Twilight Princess. I've had friends who've speculated that the design of the insignia itself is representative of Twinrova. I would elaborate on that, but I haven't the time right now--unless you want me to, then I can try later. I've never played the Oracle games, but it is observed that both Veran and Onox also wore the insignia. Did Kotake and Koume brainwash them, too? I wouldn't know as I haven't played the games, but Onox kind of looks "Iron Knucklish," either way.

But, I will go along with the rest of you guys and throw out some random speculation... why not? --What if this Shia person is actually Twinrova under an alias? Shooting in the dark over here.

Mr Aounuma is supervising so if it is canon, i doubt there would be any massive contradiction.
Mr. Aonuma knows little to nothing about avoiding contradiction. He doesn't care enough to carefully sculpt storylines so that they are able to support existing ones. And everything he lays out is improperly distributed by weight, and the top is far too heavy for the foundation to support. So everything crumbles into a huge mess. Which he then sweeps up and disposes of into a trash can called The Hyrule Historia, which is later delivered to the garbage dump by us theorists to be burned.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
But, I will go along with the rest of you guys and throw out some random speculation... why not? --What if this Shia person is actually Twinrova under an alias? Shooting in the dark over here.

Shia wears a mask which has a pretty prominent beak, so there could be a gerudo nose under there. Also Twinrova in her final form has a youthful appearance but has white hair, the same colour as Shia.

Mr. Aonuma knows little to nothing about avoiding contradiction. He doesn't care enough to carefully sculpt storylines so that they are able to support existing ones. And everything he lays out is improperly distributed by weight, and the top is far too heavy for the foundation to support. So everything crumbles into a huge mess. Which he then sweeps up and disposes of into a trash can called The Hyrule Historia, which is later delivered to the garbage dump by us theorists to be burned.
That is fair to say, but i think he knows enough to not let something be released that massively conflicts with the now established timeline.

A game being supervised by an official of the main series does not necessarily validate its canonicity. There are many important things aside from plot relevance (to the 'timeline') that may require supervision, such as basic, self-contained plot elements (i.e., how Link goes about saving Zelda), general geographical standpoints (i.e., "this place is called Death Mountain; this place is called Lake Hylia"), and authorization of which characters should be included (Hey, Midna...), among other things.

While it irks me to say this, this game can be seen as fanservice, and it—in the Dynasty Warriors franchise alone—is by no means the first of its kind. Believe it or not, there's even a One Piece: Pirate Warriors game—two of them, both of which were overseen by their main series' creator, Eiichiro Oda. And then there's this. Oh, and let's not forget Soul Calibur II, in which Link appears as a special guest character, with a background story. All of the aforementioned games have been confirmed as non-canon to their respective main series. If that is not enough, [ilquote=ign.com]Nintendo President Satoru Iwata stressed during the December 18 Nintendo direct that this game "is not the next installment of Nintendo's core The Legend of Zelda series." [/ilquote]Then again, however, there appears to be no surefire way to ascertain the game's canonicity at this point, unless Aonuma-san comes right on out and confirms it.

Fig

The Altruist
Just because Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off doesn't mean it isn't canon. Take Link's Crossing Training for example. This spin-off took place immediately after Twilight Princess where Link continues to the battle the enemies and bosses after Ganondorf has been slain. Back in the day, Mr. Iwata had an interview with Mr. Miyamoto and judging from the context, Miyamoto seemed to have compared Link's Crossbow Training with Majora's Mask, which is definitely a canonical portion of the Zelda franchise. The interview can be read here. If anything the game could be considered canon to a certain degree if you force it in. I always saw Hyrule Warriors as a form of collate ration for the Zelda franchise and at best, a side story to the Zelda lore. Considering what Mr. Aonuma stated not to long ago, it seems that Hyrule Warriors will not be a part of the official timeline so I believe people should not worry about Hyrule Warriors ruining the [official] Zelda timeline as it has been confirmed by Mr. Aonuma himself that the game isn't canon.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Just because Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off doesn't mean it isn't canon. Take Link's Crossing Training for example. This spin-off took place immediately after Twilight Princess where Link continues to the battle the enemies and bosses after Ganondorf has been slain. Back in the day, Mr. Iwata had an interview with Mr. Miyamoto and judging from the context, Miyamoto seemed to have compared Link's Crossbow Training with Majora's Mask, which is definitely a canonical portion of the Zelda franchise. The interview can be read here. If anything the game could be considered canon to a certain degree if you force it in. I always saw Hyrule Warriors as a form of collate ration for the Zelda franchise and at best, a side story to the Zelda lore. Considering what Mr. Aonuma stated not to long ago, it seems that Hyrule Warriors will not be a part of the official timeline so I believe people should not worry about Hyrule Warriors ruining the [official] Zelda timeline as it has been confirmed by Mr. Aonuma himself that the game isn't canon.

According to HH, Link's Crossbow Training isn't canon cause it's mostly just an expansion/parody/set of additional side-quests for Twilight Princess so think of it as like a side part of Twilight Princess. So basically, TP and LCT pretty take place at the time during the same adventure. Either that or LCT is direct aftermath side game to add to TP but has no major story significance to the timeline therefore the game didn't count as part of any of the essential canon(s) of the timeline as the game was only just about Link going on minor missions and trying out his new crossbow. Hyrule Warriors on the other hand has potential of having place(s) in the timeline even according Aonuma himself. Keep noted that Aonuma did say that there are places for HW in the timeline and that he said that HW is ONLY not part of main canon but that doesn't mean the game isn't essentially canon at all. Aonuma even compared this situation with HW with The Avengers. So Aonuma explained that in a way HW is canon just not main canon or part of main timeline as he explained that the game exists in it's own dimension/universe where it has it's own Hyrule, Triforce, Link, Zelda, etc as we've seen thus far and not only that but that the game connects to all the different parts of the main timelines/universes that we know of from the main games like SS's era, OoT's era, TP's era, and all that good stuff. I personally think of HW as another SSB type game or like FF: Dissidia. So HW is canon in a way in my book but just those canon aspects mostly comes from the main universe(s) of Zelda interacting with another universe. Anyways, that's my theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom