• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SPOILERS! Fledge Side Quest Controversial?

The Fledge side quest makes me kind of uncomfortable. In order for him to become stronger, Link gives him two stamina potions. He then goes from struggling to do less than ten push-ups to thousands. Is this sending a bad message to the kids who play the game? For his stamina to increase that rapidly, the potion must contain a supplement far stronger than just the normal over-the-counter stuff. Isn't it our responsibility to teach children not to just "take something" for them to get better instead of practice? The side quest could have been done differently to increase his confidence rather than taking the easy way.

Last edited:

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I didn't even really think anything of it until you pointed it out. I think most kids wouldn't really catch it either- if anything, they might think of stamina potions as energy drinks or something.
But who knows. I do agree you have a good point.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Come to think on it, perhaps the side quest IS supposed to mean something deep. It could be an allusion to everyday life where people are just grabbing whatever they find to see adverse effects rather than going to the proper place--the doc's office--and getting prescribed medicines. :)

I don't see much of a problem; it is a fantasy game, after all. There are many other potential issues that one could bring up (although I wouldn't) with some more mature themes such as kidnapping, violence, and death. Again, I don't see these themes as much of a problem since Zelda is only a fantasy game, but even so, they are much more serious than using supplements to become stronger. And besides, Fledge still did all the work he could while drinking the Stamina Potions.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Moral of the story: Go buy some steroids, kids. Japan doesn't want you to be fat.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Um... no. The Stamina Potions were just something to restore his energy so he could keep going. It's basically like a senzu bean from Dragon Ball Z. And it's not like we don't drink things like Gatorade to help us keep going during some sort of exercise. I can sort of see why you had this train of thought, but I really think you're looking way too far into this.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Have you ever seen "Game Theory" about potions in Zelda. The stamina potion is on there and it's quite intriguing (though probably not true). Anyways, getting back to this, I wouldn't really say this is teaching kids to do drugs/cheat to get better. There is a slight suggestion, but it is overridden with other notions.

1. Fledge continues to exercise even without the potion. Its just that without it he lacks the necessary energy which is a shout-out to real life because you need to keep yourself replenished in order to properly train.

2. As its been said, its not so much seen as a drug as it is a pick me up. Essentially, Fledge is drinking a power drink.

Whatever comes after 2. Fledge's main encouragement is not the drink, but Link himself. Fledge is inspired by Link to improve himself. Even after getting the potion, the boy is unsure if he'll ever reach his potential goal, but each time Link tells him something that inspires him. The drink allows Fledge to catch his second wind, yes, but what really keeps him going is the example Link leads. A friendly gesture of sharing followed by encouraging words and/or advice keeps Fledge from giving up.

I don't think I'm looking too far into it so much as I am philosophizing. I've drunk many a bottle of gatorade and it didn't get me into shape.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I don't think I'm looking too far into it so much as I am philosophizing. I've drunk many a bottle of gatorade and it didn't get me into shape.

As mentioned, the potion is not what got Fledge into shape, it gave him the proper energy to continue training. After drinking the potion, he doesn't suddenly get stronger, he just feels less fatigued physically. The potion lady says "If you drink this up, your stamina gauge won't drop as fast as usual!" when describing the potion, meaning you will have more energy. When you train, you lose certain properties from your body (water, electrolytes, etc) which make it harder and harder to continue. There are certain concoctions out there which restore these necessities. Without them, you could keep going, but it will be much more difficult and much less healthy. You may even cause a negative effect on your body because you pushed it too far without replenishing it. The lesson here could actually be proper training methods rather than steroids/drugs. With a positive attitude, the right coach, and proper nourishment, you'll do much better than if you had simply pushed your body to its limit.

But the second time Link visits Fledge, the first words out of his mouth are "Is that a stamina potion?" Not like, nice to see you, I hope you can encourage me. That's the beginning of an addiction, bro. One could argue that he starts the pumpkin game to fund his stamina potion habit. I have studied abnormal psych extensively and understand the process of addiction and it, again, I stress arguably, follows the pattern of addiction. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question and I appreciate hearing opposing theories.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
But the second time Link visits Fledge, the first words out of his mouth are "Is that a stamina potion?" Not like, nice to see you, I hope you can encourage me. That's the beginning of an addiction, bro. One could argue that he starts the pumpkin game to fund his stamina potion habit. I have studied abnormal psych extensively and understand the process of addiction and it, again, I stress arguably, follows the pattern of addiction. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question and I appreciate hearing opposing theories.

Yeah, your entitled to your theories and all that jazz. (lol, no seriously, you are)

You could call your example the start of an addiction... or you could call it "he's thirsty." If you exercise, drink a Gatorade, and then do better... naturally, you'll get excited the next time you see a Gatorade while you're exercising. Don't get me wrong, I understand that it could be a sign of an addiction, but I don't see enough evidence to support that. Fledge starts mentioning pumpkin throwing because push-ups just don't do it for him anymore, which is understandable. He still wants to improve himself but he can't get a good workout with push-ups, so he's trying something new. Not to mention, he looks up to Link which would make me assume he enjoy's Link's company. This is a great way to show off to the guy he looks up to as well as just spend time with him and see him do cool things. Paying for it does seem a bit odd, but I would Personally mark that under "it's a video-game." After all, Fledge already has a job working for the kitchen lady so why does he need Link's money? And if he really wanted to exploit this, why does he give Link valuable rewards for getting a certain number pumpkins? Wouldn't he use that to fund his little addiction as well as the money Link gives him? You could argue it's a marketing strategy, or a badly thought out plan, but then we're getting into heavy assumptions. I honestly can't see this as an addiction with what's been presented in the game.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I made a joke about Fledge taking roids and me being the supplier, and that was that. I didn't really think too much on it, he's just getting his energy back, it's not actually boosting his strength. Some people might take that and think deeper into any possible implications, but I think most people don't.

I'm a thinking woman and I make no apologies for that. I question everything because it frees my mind to endless possibilities. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

well if you think of it that way how about that little girl that goes off to a stranger's creey house to have a " screaming contest" i would think that is more controversial then fledge taking stamina potions. teaching kids to go off to other people's houses is ok..then yet again this is a game and parents should do what good parents do and teach their kids that this is only just a game and not reality..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom