• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Infraction Policy - Keep It or Loose It?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Tentative Rule 1.b
Failure to warn about Spoilers - Infraction 2 points
Spoiler is any piece of information that gives: story line details, solutions to quests or dungeons, new characters or characters' secret identities, or secret items or items' locations that are meant to be revealed at a certain point during the game (excludes box, manual, and exposition). Failure to warn happens when a user doesn't use a spoiler prefix in the thread title, doesn't use spoiler tags to hide said content in a thread without a spoiler prefix, or includes a spoiler (for any Zelda game) in a thread title. This rule affects the following boards: Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, World of Zelda, Pocket Zelda, Classic Zelda, and Modern Zelda. All other boards will not be affected. This rule will only be enforced for the following games: Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword.
[we can debate which games to include later. the point of this rule is to limit enforcement to specific games.]
[it may need to be reworded to avoid confusion of whether the spoilers in thread title part applies to all games or just the ones listed at the bottom]

Tentative Rule 2.b
Spoiler is any piece of information that gives: story line details, solutions to quests or dungeons, new characters or characters' secret identities, or secret items or items' locations that are meant to be revealed at a certain point during the game (excludes box, manual, and exposition). Failure to warn happens when a user doesn't use a spoiler prefix in the thread title, doesn't use spoiler tags to hide said content in a thread without a spoiler prefix, or includes a spoiler in a thread title. This rule affects the following boards: Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, World of Zelda, Pocket Zelda, Classic Zelda, and Modern Zelda. All other boards will not be affected. This rule will be enforced for all Zelda games.
So in addition to these two, three more options come up:

Tentative Rule 3.a
Spoiler is any piece of information that gives: story line details, solutions to quests or dungeons, new characters or characters' secret identities, or secret items or items' locations that are meant to be revealed at a certain point during the game (excludes box, manual, and exposition). Failure to warn happens when a user doesn't use spoiler tags to hide said content that relates to a game other than the topic of the thread, or includes a spoiler in a thread title. This rule does not apply to the Zelda Theory section, where references to other games is expected and encouraged in the spirit of theorizing. First and minor offenses will be met by a PM from a moderator reminding the user of this rule. Repeat offenses may result in a warning, and a full infraction will only be given out in very rare and extreme cases.

Tentative Rule 3.b
Failure to warn about Spoilers - No Infraction
Spoiler is any piece of information that gives: story line details, solutions to quests or dungeons, new characters or characters' secret identities, or secret items or items' locations that are meant to be revealed at a certain point during the game (excludes box, manual, and exposition). This isn't a strict rule and will not be punished as such. Users may be reminded via PM to be mindful of the common courtesy of hiding off-topic or spontaneous spoilers. Moderators reserve the right to edit posts to include spoiler tags at their discretion and issue at most a PM asking the user to be more cautious in the future.

And the third option is to remove the rule altogether and just enforce it as described in 3.b and in DuckNoise's most recent post.

Any of these three make sense to me. I guess I'll vote for 3.b, keeping 3.a in mind if we get too many complaints and people aren't heeding the PM warnings.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
So in addition to these two, three more options come up:

Tentative Rule 3.a
Spoiler is any piece of information that gives: story line details, solutions to quests or dungeons, new characters or characters' secret identities, or secret items or items' locations that are meant to be revealed at a certain point during the game (excludes box, manual, and exposition). Failure to warn happens when a user doesn't use spoiler tags to hide said content that relates to a game other than the topic of the thread, or includes a spoiler in a thread title. This rule does not apply to the Zelda Theory section, where references to other games is expected and encouraged in the spirit of theorizing. First and minor offenses will be met by a PM from a moderator reminding the user of this rule. Repeat offenses may result in a warning, and a full infraction will only be given out in very rare and extreme cases.

Tentative Rule 3.b
Failure to warn about Spoilers - No Infraction
Spoiler is any piece of information that gives: story line details, solutions to quests or dungeons, new characters or characters' secret identities, or secret items or items' locations that are meant to be revealed at a certain point during the game (excludes box, manual, and exposition). This isn't a strict rule and will not be punished as such. Users may be reminded via PM to be mindful of the common courtesy of hiding off-topic or spontaneous spoilers. Moderators reserve the right to edit posts to include spoiler tags at their discretion and issue at most a PM asking the user to be more cautious in the future.

And the third option is to remove the rule altogether and just enforce it as described in 3.b and in DuckNoise's most recent post.

Any of these three make sense to me. I guess I'll vote for 3.b, keeping 3.a in mind if we get too many complaints and people aren't heeding the PM warnings.

I could live with either of those two. They make a bit more sense. You'll only get a punishment if the Spoiler was not something you would expect to find in such a thread (e.g. it spoils a Zelda game other than the one mentioned in the OP), or if it's in the thread title.

That seems fair to me.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Finally! I think either of those two rules will work, but I like the first one the best. So, yes...

Vote: Rule 3.a.

I think that is a great idea, plain and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom