• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Splatoon Switch

What do you think Splatoon NS is?

• It is a sequel to Splatoon

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • It is an enhanced port to Splatoon

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So, with the announcement of the Nintendo Switch last week, we also got to see Splatoon showed off!

That's super exciting. But what exactly is it?
Well, first off, we know a couple of things that will be coming to this version of the game.

1. Local multiplayer
2. Different Hairstyles
3. A new weapon
4. A new map

The question is though. Is this a full sequel to Splatoon, or is this a port of the Wii U version with more content?

Will you guys potentially pick this one up, or will you stick with the Wii U version, or just not even get it at all?

If Splatoon for the Switch is just a port with some extra content, I will stick to the Wii U version. Now if it's a sequel, then it is highly likely that I will pre-order the game before you can say "You're a kid now! You're a squid now!"

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
You forgot to add customisable pants to the list, truly the most exciting feature. :P The weapons so far just seem like new designs for the standard Splattershot, Splat Charger and Splat Roller. I just hope all the N-Zaps return, I'm in love with those.

I think it's too soon to tell exactly what this game will be, considering it's just a teaser. I'm leaning more towards a sequel, despite first game coming out less than two years ago. This footage has new animations that I don't think a mere expansion would change. If you look at the Mario Kart clip they showed, that was pretty much identical to Mario Kart 8 outside of King Boo and the item HUD. Splatoon has does more than that.

In any case, I'm excited.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
There was a lot of new stuff just in the small amount of footage we saw, so it seems like it could be a sequel. Numerous different hairstyles, new gear, addition of pants, a new map, and a different looking spawn point seem like a lot added for just a port. Either way, they're still going to have to rework the game somehow since we won't have a second screen for the map, so it will be quite a bit different than the Wii U version. It's pretty much a given that there will be a sequel to the game, it's just a matter of when. I'm still super excited about all the new things they showed, even if it is just a port.

1. Local multiplayer
2. Different Hairstyles
Thank you, Nintendo!

Personally, I never picked up a copy of Splatoon even though I own a wii U, and this the case for a variety of games, mostly due to monetary reasons. That said, I am really looking forward to getting Splatoon on the switch once it's out.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't think any of the footage they showed aside from maybe Mario were meant to be real games. More like a mock up of what to expect on the Switch given how similar both Mario Kart and Splatoon looked to their predecessors despite some minor differences. I doubt Splatoon on the Switch is going to be the same game with new content slapped on. If Nintendo started substituting original games for expanded Wii U games then the Switch will surely stumble or even fail. I think what we saw was a sequel in the early stages of development, same for Mario Kart. Otherwise, it's way too soon for another Splatoon game. With that said, I saw a lot of promise in Splatoon as a franchise despite its simplicity, so a sequel with tons more variety and options is quite exciting.

Never bought a Wii U, but Im pretty sure, from what Ive seen, that this is an extension of the Wii U version. I'll buy it, for sure.
I'm kind of on the same boat. I do own a wii U, but I didn't have the money to buy the game when it came out, then priorities and stuff kept me from buying it (and for quite a long time I wasn't sure if I wanted to, either) and when I finally decided I wanted it and had the money, I also realised I should just wait to see if there's a switch version :P So now I'm going for the upcoming one...

I don't think any of the footage they showed aside from maybe Mario were meant to be real games. More like a mock up of what to expect on the Switch given how similar both Mario Kart and Splatoon looked to their predecessors despite some minor differences.
The most likely answer, specially considering how much emphasis they have been showing regarding launch titles, is that what we are seeing is footage from games that are already half way in development. Splatoon may be footage from a port, but to be honest, I also get the feeling it is footage from new features. The Mario stuff I would bet my arm is actual footage from a game either in development or finished by now. The Zelda stuff is obvious, and the Skyrim stuff is probably from the new special edition, probably from the Switch version. Regarding the basketball thing, it's probably a port. So yeah, I don't think it's footage taken from elsewhere. In these cases it's usually footage from finished sections of unfinished games.

Most likely it will be a port with some enhanced features. Judging by the trailer it looks like they also may re-release Mario Kart 8 with some new features. It makes sense from a business standpoint. The Wii U undersold, so there are plenty of gamers out there who haven't experienced these great Wii U games, and it would be much cheaper to update them for the Switch and turn a nice profit instead of trying to develop complete sequels.

Personally, I'm not sure how they'll adapt the map functionality of Splatoon to a console without a dedicated second screen, but it's Nintendo, so I'm sure they'll think of something.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
If the switch doesn't have gyro controls, port or not, (which it didn't seem to, at least by advertisement, who knows at this point honestly), I likely won't pick it up. I loved the gyro controls in the game, they made it so easy and fluid to aim. Without them its back to right stick aiming, and that will...pretty much suck. But who knows, if they really nail it, I might check it out. I'm gonna hope for a more in-depth single player though.

Last edited:
If the switch doesn't have gyro controls, port or not, (which it didn't seem to, at least by advertisement, who knows at this point honestly), I likely won't pick it up. I loved the gyro controls in the game, they made it so easy and fluid to aim. Without them its back to right stick aiming, and that will...pretty much suck. But who knows, if they really nail it, I might check it out. I'm gonna hope for a more in-depth single player though.
Good point. I hadn't even thought about the motion controls, but that could be another game-breaking difference between the Wii-U and the Switch. I've gotten so used to motion controls and having a second touch screen on hand that I think I might feel a bit blinded and crippled without it!

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I didn't even know Splatoon was going to be on Switch! I don't really care if it's a sequel or what, I'm just excited about the idea of playing Splatoon on the go. I'll definitely get the new one.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer

Yeah, the gyro controls are pretty important. I think they know it would be a pretty big mistake if they didn't include that because a majority of people that play Splatoon use gyro controls. I know personally I would be awful at the game if they just had stick aiming.

I am kinda worried about not having the second screen though, which means no map to look down at and no touchscreen capabilities. I'm not sure how they're going to incorporate super jumping, beacons, inkstrikes, and the like without the second screen.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I honestly don't know if it's coming, or if Nintendo was just showing of "what ifs" to kind of advertise what the thing can do.

That said, I hope it's a sequel. I already own the original, and I don't want to rebuy it. I want SplaTWOn, not Splatoon NX, if you get my drift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom