• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass?

Whiich is better?

• SPIRIT TRACKS IS WAAAAY BETTER!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PHANTOM HOURGLASS IS SOOOOO AWESOME!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
Also, is anyone but me noticing how freaking awesome it is when you get close to a demon train??? :xd:

Awsome? How about FUSTRATING! When getting close it means that you can't outrun them and you die at only one hit. I went through Phantom Hourglass without dieing once, and you won't believe how many timesI died on Spirit Tracks!

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
I LOVE PH SOOO MUCH! I also liked ST but it wasn't as fun as PH. I felt the main reason I liked PH more was the boat. The train was just kinda stupid :( Also it was really slow. But the boat rocked! So imo PH was better than ST :)

B

Bocaj910

I thought Spirit Tracks did a better job at showcasing the artstyle, and it also had more memorable music, but I thought the gameplay of Phantom Hourglass was better. Spirit Tracks felt a lot more... empty. Overall, though, I would have to choose ST because the game is much more sentimental to me, as it was my first DS game.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I 100% agree with Mases, PH is much better.

[video=youtube;vXeqghyLkkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXeqghyLkkQ[/video]

[video=youtube;tBq31BZL38M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBq31BZL38M&feature=related[/video]

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I like Spirit Tracks more than Phantom Hourglass. The game just felt more...magical because we get to see the New Hyrule. Although the train REALLY limited exploration, it was still a nice break from the boat. The story showcased a "new ganon" which I thought was pretty darn cool. Even though we didn't really see Malladus it was still cool to face him as the demon king.

The only problem I have with both Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass is that there really wasn't any emphasis on the main villain at all. It was just kind of : "Hey! Did you hear about this Bellum/Malladus guy? Ya he's pretty bad"....that's really about it. They just weren't there and it was kind of an empty spot in both games as I didn't look forward to fighting them because I didn't really know much about them. There wasn't any interaction between Link and the main Villains in those games like there are in most Zelda games.

So those being the cons, I still believe that both games were amazing with Spirit Tracks doing a better job on the overall story and REALLY connecting it with Wind Waker. That brought back some nostalgia from the first time I played Wind Waker. The gameplay was like Phantom Hourglass and it took some time getting used to but it worked out. I loved the train instead of the dreaded boat from Phantom Hourglass because the locomotion and music really got me in the mood to continue through the game. The characters were A LOT more memorable and it was really cool to play a new instrument and learn new songs (albeit in a limited way).

To me, Spirit Tracks was a lot more memorable and the ending made me fuzzy inside :P

T

ToonLinkGaming

I can't say I disagree, but you have to look at each game individually before you can compare them as a whole. For instance, I really like the idea of a train, and Toon Link being an engineer, where as in Phantom Hourglass, you're steering a boat, which we've seen before in Wind Waker. Mases has a few good points, and I almost completely agree, but when it comes down to it, I really can't decide which is better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS OPINIONATED, PLEASE, DON'T TROLL!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
(PH)Music: (9)
(ST)Music: (10)
(PH)Dungeons: (10)
(ST)Dungeons: (9)
(PH)Overworld: (10)
(ST)Overworld: (10)
(PH)Replay Value: (8)
(ST)Replay Value: (9)
------------------------------------------------------------------
These are my opinions on some of the few great things about these games, and, well, I love both of these games equally, like any Zelda title.
If I HAD to choose, I'd probably go with Spirit Tracks. The game just feels funner to me, the music is mesmerising, and Phantom Hourglass just feels like an experiment to test out the console and it's capabilities. Don't get me wrong, I love Phantom Hourglass, but, that's how I feel.
Thankyou for reading. :)

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
The Main Villain Bellamu (I see, you call that thing Bellum) in Phantom Hourglass totally sucked. He was just a fridgin ugly piece of you know what I mean. His backstory was pretty poor. And overall, for me, he is the most boring main villain in a Zelda game. Compared to Malladus, he totally lost the game. Challening the final boss of Phantom Hourglass was a big disappointment for me. He was more like some kind of side boss you challenged near the end of the game. So please. Feel free to compare both new main villains of the New Hyrule with each other.

Yes there wasn't even an fabulous artwork of Bellum available.

bellumboss.png

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
Well, if there was one thing of PH that I liked more than ST, It was traveling. I agreed with Mases on that one. The train moves a whole 2mph on top speed! But in PH, although the train moved slow, you had freedom and warp points. You could go anywhere and get whatever. If you knew there was some big enemy here or you'd have to do something there, you could trace a path away from it. In ST you're constantly changing tracks running from demon trains that are UNSTOPPABLE. When I said I liked it, I meant the music and sound. Not the actual playing part:P. But anyways. I shot canon balls at a demon train and it broke. Then after not dissapearing for a minute. It fired back up. That was annoying.

L

linebeck

I didn't like Phantom Hourglass as much because 1 thing: The Temple of the ocean king.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
None of the games belong at the top of my list, I am sorry to say! But I have had an urge to "re-play" Phantom Hourglass, I guess I will never have the same urge when it comes to Spirit Tracks and that is my main reason for choosing: Phantom Hourglass.

(I might change my opinion in the future, I have a tendency to change my mind :)).

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
ph because it was my first zelda and when st came i was disapointed by the simalarity

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
I suppose, reading the last comment, that people usually side with their first ever game, that might actually be half the reason why I chose Spirit Tracks. The game has a level of nostalgia for me, as it was my first ever Zelda game.

In Spirit Tracks, I really did like the story alot, because not only do you want to save the kind person that you just met that happens to be a princess, you also have the fate of the entire world on your shoulders from the beginning of the game, wheras in Phantom Hourglass you origionally start just to save your best friend that ALSO happens to be a princess. It's like that in many games, such as in the Wind Waker you start the quest to save Aryll, and in Twilight Princess you start to save the Ordon kids and Ilia. Also, in Spirit Tracks, you are presented with the main enemy quite early. This disappointed me in PH, because you get the spirits, then get Tetra, then have to continue your wild goose chase and then finally you are presented with the main enemy. Although, I suppose this storyline could have been used to make the game longer, it wasn't what pleased me most.

A major point in the argument would be the center dungeon of each game, the Tower of Spirits, or the Temple of the Ocean King. Almost NO ONE liked the TotOK, me included. It was WAAAY too repetitive, and the time limit and inability to kill phantom's just p'd me off. In the ToS, you not only had no time limit and the ability to kill [possess] phantoms, but the Phantoms had different qualities, you could possess them, and YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO REPEAT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!

The companion of the game also made a big difference to me. Zelda hasn't accompanied Link on any adventure before Spirit Tracks, which gave it a totally new feel to it. Ciela was basically a copy of Navi, but aquiring a whole bunch of annoying fairy buddies. I think here, Nintendo just ran out of ideas.

To me, Phantom Hourglass was just a re-make of Wind Waker, but with different characters. The quest starter, either Aryll or Tetra, is taken away, you chase, then have to go through a couple of dungeons, then you find the quest starter but somethings wrong, either you can't take her or she's turned into a rock. Then you have to do a couple more things, go through more dungeons and chase around after things, then you can go and defeat the final boss.

The difference in controls between the two titles isn't very different, as many things were the same, but the things that were different were major. In Spirit Tracks the roll controlling was much easier, as I'm sure everyone can agree. The train was slow, and the boat got you around faster, not to mention the ability to warp from anywhere in the Great Sea. The item selection control was better in Spirit Tracks, especially when in battle, the ability to stop everything and get what you need was much better.

The graphics and music in Spirit tracks were also much better than Phantom Hourglass, in the later game the graphics became more refined and smooth, wheras in Phantom hourglass everything wasn't as nice, to me, it was as if they were achieving a handheld, cel-shaded Ocarina of Time. The music was also much better in Spirit tracks, including the dungeon music. It got extremely annoying in Phantom Hourglass, to be repeated every time you went underground or in a dungeon. This was improved in Spirit Tracks, as the final dungeon's music changed from the earlier ones. I loved the Tower of Spirit's music, and especially loved the Sacred Duet. I mean, who couldn't? The Lokomo's songs were also very well done, the village music was different, but similar at the same time, the haunted realm music was incredible, the final boss battle's music was amazing, and yeah, I think I'm just starting to rant now. I'm not saying that Phantom Hourglass' music wasn't good, in fact I quite liked Oshus' theme, but the audio from Spirit Tracks just stood out for me.

I havn't quite finished Phantom Hourglass yet, because I want to 100% the game and I still can't quite catch a Neptuna, but from what I have seen of the boss battle, it doesn't look as fabulous as the three-part one of Spirit Tracks, not to mention the bonus little song in there.

I just have to point out here, that I really liked the little easter egg type things that were in Spirit Tracks from Phantom Hourglass. An obvious one would be Tetra's appearance on the stained-glass window above Zelda's throne and the mention of Tetra from Zelda when she merges back into her body, "Tetra! Please give me your blessing!" Another obvious one would be Linebeck III, and Alfonzo's similarities to Gonzo. Makes you wonder, they're probably related, aren't they?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing Phantom Hourglass, I thought it was definetly up to Zelda standards, but I have to say I prefer Spirit Tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom