• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks Afterthoughts

I thought this was a pretty good game, but it wasn't one of the best ones. Certain parts of the game were awesome such as temples, the Tower of Spirits, and the new items. The Flute and Whirlwind blew me away. I always had fun using those items just so I could interact with the DS more than in PH, which made me kinda feel as if I was being Link for a moment.

Puzzles in the game were right in the middle. There were some that were really easy, and have been in other games. Other puzzles were amazingly challenging such as the Sand Wand puzzles to get a Heart Container. You had so much space to flip blocks around. That is classic Zelda if you ask me.

The best part of this game in my opinion is the fact that you can play as Zelda. It was really different to control 2 different characters in the game compared to 1 in every other Zelda game (besides FSA). This made much more puzzles challenging, and unique to the game itself.

Other parts of the game were not so great. The story would be one. The beginning of the game had an amazing advance in story. You start off trying to the engineer certificate, and then Zelda ends up getting her soul taken. This part of the game, according to me, was the best part of the entire game. The first time, I had no idea what was going to happen because you really had no time to think about it. Then later on in the game, after you beat the Forest Temple, you can go back to the Tower, but the story hasn't really evolved at all. This was the same all the way to the Fire Temple. So basically, after the first part of the game, you don't get any new story plots. After the Fire Temple however, you hear more about the demon, and the Compass of Light. Now the story started to come back, and they nailed the ending part as well. Overall, the story was alright, but there needed to be ALOT more of it during the course of the game.

Also, if your going to name a Temple after an element, like Forest, Snow, Ocean, Fire, and Sand, that temple better have puzzles based around those. The Forest Temple was alright, but it really had nothing to do with forests. It was basically a stone temple with purple gas all around. The Snow Temple was a little bit better. The dungeon focused on freezing water, and melting snow. This was a perfectly themed temple. The Ocean Temple was the worst one like this. First, the temple is located UNDERWATER! And what is inside the temple? NOTHING BUT STONE TRAPS! It was a horrible theme for the temple. I mean, you can't name it an Ocean Temple if it has nothing to do with Water. The Fire Temple was great with this as well. There were quite a few puzzles based around fire. The Sand Temple was the best designed Temple for this category. Everywhere you turned, looked, or didn't look, there was something to do with sand, and or the Sand Wand. I think that the Temples were very fun to play through, but the themes for some of them needed to be a lot better.

Another thing that wasn't so great was the train, and the Collectible Item, the Rabbits. First, the train in my opinion is just too slow. I think the speed of the steamboat in PH was just perfect, but ST had to take it down a step. Like say if you were down in the Forest Realm, and you wanted to go the Fire Realm, it would probably take 10 minutes at least if you had no warps, and no extra tracks from the Force Gems. If it were PH speed, it would still take a long time, but not as long. The rabbits were a cool new addition to the series, but there are a few flaws. If you were in the middle of a realm, and you found a rabbit, and hit the rock with the cannon, and you didn't catch the rabbit, you couldn't just move a little, and then come back. You had to completely stop at a station, and go back to it. This was horrible especially in the Fire Realm, since there is not a lot of stops and there are tons of different ways to go.

This is my last point. In Phantom Hourglass, to warp to other places you had a slate that you can use at any given time. However, in Spirit Tracks, you don't have something like that. You have SET warp positions that you have to pass through. They don't go to a location of your choice, but instead a set one.

Spirit Tracks is a great game, don't get me wrong, but the game has some core features that aren't so great for a Zelda game. The story could've been more deep, the collectibles could have been easier to get, and the train could have been faster with easier ways to warp. But they made the game a success. The temples were always fun to venture, and the Bosses were very unique this time, well, most of them. Playing as Zelda made the game a hit in my opinion, defiantly changing the role of her in a Zelda game. And I can't forget the last boss of the game, Malladus. The first part of the battle was incredibly challenging. Trying to stop every rock flying toward Zelda, and taking down the guy with 2 people was another first in Zelda.

Kybyrian

In my opinion, Spirit Tracks was one of the worst games in the series. I completely agree with your point about the temples, some of them had the right theme, but a majority of them were horrible and had almost nothing to do with what it said it was. That being said, I also thought the temples were far too easy. They were enjoyable, but just seemed too easy. There's not really a ton you can do to a temple in a game on a portable system, but I still think they could have been able to step up the difficulty on them. It was like I was just breezing through them.

I also agree with you on the story, it was great right at the beginning and right at the end, but very weak right in-between. A good game should have a good, developing story all the way through it, not just at the beginning and end.

The rabbits were absolutely horrible, as well. They weren't easy to catch and weren't exactly the best kind of collectible item, so it felt more like a task than any other collectible has felt like in all of the other series. It sort of made the train travel a little dull, but only a little. The rabbits were a bad idea, but really the only kind of idea you can have in a game like this. Adding on to that, the train travel was absolutely horrible. There were only warp points that were set to certain locations, and without them it still took a while to get where you were going. The game felt horrible right at the beginning when you have to hop on your train and travel 10 minutes to get somewhere, especially if you didn't know what you were doing and went around to different places a few times. They could have at least made the train go faster.

It was an okay game, but one of the worst in the Zelda series. Definitely hope they don't pull something like this again.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
All you say its so true the game was horrible in some aspects but want to know something ironic the wood train the very first train you use is faster then the golden one

What the.... Stupid if you ask me

Elfen

Call Me Robbi :D
Oh my gosh, i hated it, dont get me wrong it was ok, but i got bored of it, i hated the spirit temple because there where different floors, i liked teh same floor thign with shortcuts in PH, the sand temple was the only temple i enjoyed, i liked the sand wand alot xD like a ball ina cup, but overall it wasnt that great T=

The train was the worst part IMO it did go to slow, especially when you had a passanger you had to go a certain speed all the way D :< it sucked >_> The bunnies, were a pain in the A** i mean later on in teh game you couldnt even catch tehm cuz they kept moving so much, and when you missed it took like 2 or 3 seconds off and you only had 10 or 15 seconds to catch it???

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I like spirit tracks but i think the game should have been longer and have as many temples as phantom hourglass did. the rabbits are a nightmare to catch and some trasures are hard to find.
but i thought it was a good game plus zelda has a big role so that did it for me.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
I loved the Tower of Spirits! :D
You could play as a phantom and the puzzles did not focus on Link hiding from phantoms, but rather a mix of controlling Zelda and Link.

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
Spirit Tracks when I first started to play the game I personally was blown away over the improvement over Phantom Hourglass.
With better level design, more in-depth puzzles, and new characters. The few things I and most may have thought should had have a second look over like the spirit flute, and train riding. Out of all the things I was mystified on how Nintendo could screw up an easy concept like playing a wind instrument. They should have taken out the mic feature for the flute and made it buttons since we all know how hard the lokomo songs can get. Now the train aspect of the game was at first a good idea to me at the time, then later on though it was a mind wreck of an idea. The warping I think was slapped on last minute in PH we did not have this problem. But the most annoying part for me was trying to transport the dark ore to Linebeck, at first I thought the would help out but I so saddly wrong. For the most part I think this game was one of ones where if you were on the go and only had a ds
this might be your game, I enjoyed the sidequests (at least some) and overall is a good 8/10 experience.

Icetomeetyou

*brofist*
Spirit Tracks is one of my favorite games. It probably makes my top five. Of course I'm someone who's charmed by music and I think ST has an amazing soundtrack. Plus there was a redhead in the game and I sort of have this thing about redheads. And plus I don't really care all that much about game play or plot. But I DO care about graphics and I think the graphics could of been better.
But I do agree with the rabbit thing. They were a pain to collect and I didn't even bother with it. Same with the story, I thought it could have been a little deeper and the warping could have been much better.

ZeldaHam

Some Skyloftian Guy
Eh, I always thought they made it to stop us getting bored waiting for Skyward Sword.

Oh, and another thing. RESKINNED.

SS Linebeck- Spirit Train
Oshus- Anjean
Linebeck- Alfonzo
Ciela/Tetra- Zelda
Ghost Ship- Demon Train
Cole/Malladus- Bellum
Phantom Sword- Lokomo Sword
Temple of the Ocean King- Tower of Spirits
Ocean- Train Tracks
BUT WAIT YOU GET TO PLAY AS ZELDA AND SHE CAN POSSESS PHANTOMS OMFG

Eh, it's my 4th most hated zelda game. (The other 3 being Four Swords, Ocarina of Time and Zelda 2)

Last edited:
ST was a fun little handheld game that kept me entertained on long drives for a while.

Sadly, it never goes beyond that one sentence. It's not like MM or TP where I'll walk away thinking "Wow, that was good. I'm going to remember that for a looooong time, and replay through it again at least once." I've yet to play through it again once, because I've felt no desire to do so. Granted, it was far better than PH, probably just because PH was already inherently flawed because of its direct relationship to WW, both story and gameplay wise. I'm very glad ST broke away from that somewhat, pushing it ahead, but it never truly got any better than that. Soundtrack was amazing though. That aspect is easily the best part of the game. I just really wish Nintendo would start getting their handheld Zeldas in line; they've all sucked since the Oracle titles (which weren't even made by Nintendo....ha...).

Alright game, nothing special, didn't walk away with anything from it.

Zeanith

The Shadow Knight
It was a heck of a lot better than Phantom Hourglass.
Neither of them feel like a "Zelda" game, however.
They are good games, but when compared to others in the series, they lack.
Personally I think this is simply because they're portable and given the strange attacking scheme it just feels different.
Nevertheless, in my opinion it was still fun. Would I replay it? No. But I hardly ever replay my games.

RamboZelda

bullets of pure awesome
I, personally, loved ST. It had a great story, and yeah maybe the middle of the game didn't have much plot, but no one ever complained about that over the Oracles or, if you really think about it, MM. The goal was to rescue the four giants, and that was the entire game (not counting sidequests). It had a deep plot, but nothing huge happened plot-wise during the course of the game, except for the beginning and end. That said, ST had lots of other great features like the soundtrack and the Tower of Spirits. I'd give the game a 8/10.

Hero Of Spirits

Champion of Cyrodiil
I'd have to say... Spirit Tracks was pretty shallow, but it was a good game. What I mean by shallow, I mean really poor storyline. In my opinion, it has the perfect beginning & ending, but no middle to hold all together. Dungeons were great, & the bosses deserve some credit too.

The ONE THING that stands out in my mind about ST was... the music. God, I'm still listening to it now. :) Best music in a Zelda game so far, & OoT & TP are tied for close second.

B

Blizzard78

Spirit Tracks was a good game. Music was great too. The train thing was a little awkward for me, but still. Challenging puzzles, great way of using items, and using the phantom led up to a great game for the DS. I haven't played PH, and I don't plan on getting it for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom