• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Speculation About the Mysterious Jester Character

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Deja vous. Just like with the buildup to Skyward Sword, we've been shown a pale character with a jester outfit in a piece of concept art for A Link Between Worlds. We haven't seen any in-game footage of him, unlike with Ghirahim, but the vibe is all too familiar. This not to say it feels like Nintendo is just rehashing Skyward Sword's story -- far from it. I actually find what we've been shown very intriguing. It's just a piece of art with no information about it. It's pure speculation as to who and/or what this mysterious character could be.

It's kinda funny, really. He looks a lot like a cross between Ganondorf and Ghirahim. I doubt that means anything, but it's pretty humorous. But that's negligible; it's everything else that's so captivating about him. He's wearing the exact same style of earrings that Ghirahim did, and he has the upside-down Triforce mark on his outfit, which is also surrounded by the bird part of the Hylian Crest, further hinting that there may be a whole other kingdom in the Dark World this time around. There might also a connection to the upside-down Triforce on Demise's sword.

There are multiple things this character could be, including another extension of Ganon like Aghanim and even Ganondorf himself (although I find that unlikely), but given the circumstances, I'm thinking he's one of the Demon Lords like Ghirahim -- just, you know... without also being a sword. It makes sense that the Demon Tribe would be further expanded upon in a game where the Dark World is a factor, not to mention one that is coming hot off the heels of Skyward Sword. I certainly hope this is the case, because expanding the lore on this mysterious tribe even further would (most likely) help accentuate Demise's canonical influence, as well as give us the pleasure of learning more about a group of evildoers that has constantly been referenced throughout the series.

As for what he really is, only time will tell. We'll just have to wait and see for ourselves.

2l9imuh.jpg

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'll just re-post my thoughts that I raised in another thread since it applies here as well.

Wow, didn't even realise this was released.

Well on first sight this villain-like-figure looks female and actually it looks like a female counterpart to Ganondorf himself. However, this isn't just as simple as there being a counterpart to Ganondorf, we need to look a little deeper.

First off, I don't want to get into this whole counterpart thing, for one, we don't know the origins of this "other world" - so I don't want to enter the realm of full speculation. Let's instead start with the time placement; this game takes place many years after A Link to the Past, so it does sort of connect into that mini-legend if you like. So here you have A Link to the Past -> Oracle of Seasons/Ages -> Link's Awakening (And now) -> A Link Between Worlds.

So in the original game of this legend we have Ganon using the Dark World to his advantage and causing trouble in Hyrule once again, eventually he is defeated and the Dark World is restored to its original form (the Sacred Realm). Some time later, the same Link is sent on a mysterious journey by the Triforce--to Holodrum and Labrynna--where he undergoes two seperate quests to save the lands. Eventually, Twinrova's plan comes into fruition and they resurrect Ganon (an unintelligent one however). Link eventually defeats Ganon, while previously, Twinrova scarified themselves. Link then heads on his next journey (Link's Awakening). Some time later, we have a new Link, enter this new instalment.

---

I'm slightly baffled right now, but I see a few similarities. I want to start with Twinrova, these two sorceress are Ganondorf's surrogate mothers, so no directly related. However, I'm starting to see some correlation between them and Ganondorf with this villain right here, here's a concept art of Twinrova as one:

150px-OoT_Twinrova.png

Now one can probably pick out non similarities than similarities, but they seem to have somewhat similar clothing around the leg area and they both carry magical staffs - possible for sorcery. Now I'm not basing this just off of visual similarities, but instead the whole connection between the two. Twinrova play a pretty big part near the end of the Oracles, but they seemingly died. However, could this be some sort of missing link between both Twinrova and Ganondorf? Who knows...

Secondly we have Agahnim, a powerful wizard, but also Ganondorf's alter ego. Now this is starting the make sense to me as I'm thinking mora about it. I originally thought of Agahnim as a simple disguise for Ganondorf, a lifeless, almost meaningless figure in which Ganondorf used to manipulate the King of Hyrule, now though I think differently. This "other world" seems to be the later ego to Hyrule itself, so far we know it has its own Kingdom, possibly it's own Triforce (which has been stated), so could this figure simply be the alter ego of evil?

Before I jump in I want to talk visual similarities between the pair - keep in mind, the two won't look like carbon copies, concept art does change over years. Anyway here's the concept art for Agahnim:

260px-Agahnim.png

A somewhat similar robe of sorts, the theme seems to be purple and red; both have this in common, although it isn't entirely the same. Visually, Agahnim is quite covered up in the facial area, so it's hard to tell if they are the same being or not - although it is a possibility. However, notice the hands, the skin colour is quite pale and the hands and claws alike look very alike. Maybe one can also make a brief connection to choice of footwear; the point I'm trying to get across though is that both are actually similar, visually.

They look quite alike, this figure seems to be wielder of magic, which Agahnim coincidently was, so is this figure Agahnim? Well who knows... There are many theories surrounding the connection between Agahnim and Ganon - is this simply a wizard who Ganon took control of? Some have even said that Ganon split himself in two; the other half being Agahnim. Now we know that there is this other world, which could play a pivotal role in determining the link here. Agahnim is stated to be an alter ego, well this figure here looks somewhat to be an alter ego of Ganon himself, but didn't Agahnim die? Well not exactly, he is stated to be defeated, but Agahnim's body simply falls while Ganon faintly appears. Truth be told, we don't know if Agahnim did die, which means it's perfectly possible that he could exist in this new instalment.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Call it a hunch, but I feel like this guy is going to be the main villain rather than a right-hand man like Ghirahim was. It still is likely, but I just get this feeling he is the main villain. Like I said, hunch.

Salem

SICK
I mentioned this in another thread just now, but here's my speculation on how this character might fight you in the game.

I get the feeling he is the type of boss that laughs a lot and jumps around or warps all over the boss room. Possibly summoning other enemies or fake forms to toy with you.

It's really possible that we will fight this guy multiple times throughout the game, a minimum of 2, but I doubt more than 3 times.

As for his personality outside of battles, maybe the kind of villain that likes to make cruel jokes every now and then. He's probably prone to anger. idk

That's the impression I get from this character.

I have a feeling his plans involve collecting the Triforce.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I would agree with that this villain, if it be a villain, will most likely follow suit of Zant and Ghirahim. What I essentially mean is rather different personality types to the typical cliché villain.

Nintendo love to keep some form of continuity and this is there way of showing it, this villain is most likely not Ghirahim but it will probably relate, in character, and in his/her particular role.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Sound to me that JJ has come to the same hypothesis as I. In that he thinks they will continue this idea of a "Demon Tribe", i like it and hope we are both right!

I also agree that if i were to judge by looks, this character looks... devious at the least! I really like Ghirahims attitude in SS with his confident, yet feminine if not annoyed attitude! He reminded me of some of the Villains in the show Bleach! But back to this jester character, im guessing the attitude will be a lot like Ghirahim, in that it will toy with you and make a lot of funny lil comments! Im excited to see how it plays out! Im not convinced this will be the Main Villain of the game though!

I would agree with that this villain, if it be a villain, will most likely follow suit of Zant and Ghirahim. What I essentially mean is rather different personality types to the typical cliché villain.

Nintendo love to keep some form of continuity and this is there way of showing it, this villain is most likely not Ghirahim but it will probably relate, in character, and in his/her particular role.

Yeah, I actually prefer the creepy, unhinged type villains to the stereotypical mwa-ha-ha-ha (can't think of a better description) villains. This jester character looks like he/she could be far creepier than either Zant or girahim. all he/she needs is a creepy cackle.

Haha, Kefka was the first thing to instantly pop into my mind when I read the "jester" part. Which would be cool, having a Kefka-esque villain..... but then you stop and think about it, and you realize that it probably wouldn't fit in a Zelda game at all. That's actually a really interesting question, whether or not a sadistic madman would make a good villain. You could argue that Majora was, but I don't think that was anywhere close to Kefka as far as characterization or just in-game feel went.

But on the topic.... I don't know anything about this new game at all. From the little I've figure out, it looks like a true top-down old-school Zelda type of game, which I welcome with arms wide open. But I don't know anything about the plot or story, so I don't have a very well-constructed opinion. However, I do think that design could work. I'll admit, I'm not much of a fan of Ghirahim. I think he was pretty shallow and predictable as a character, and I'm not really the type of person that sees his off-the-wall-almost-random actions and mannerisms and thinks to himself, "Wow, this guy is awesome!". Actually, it did the opposite for me, haha..... So I can't say that a new character just like him for this game would be a good idea. And it's probably safe to assume that with a design like that, he's meant to be pretty off-the-wall-almost-random.

Of course, this is a new game, so you can't apply assumptions for other past characters too well. I guess you could just call it a first impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom