• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony E3 2014 Press Conference

Fig

The Altruist
Today was the live press conference for Sony and the PlayStation staff. The games that we saw throughout the press conference included the following:
  • Destiny
  • The Order 1886
  • Entwined
  • Infamous: Second Son First Light Extra Content
  • Little Big Planet 3
  • Bloodborne
  • FarCry 4
  • Dead Island 2
  • Diablo III Infected Souls
  • Battlefield Hardline
  • Disney Infinity 2 Collector's Edition
  • Magicka 2
  • Grim Fandango
  • Developer Games
  • Let It Die
  • ABZU
  • No Man's Sky
  • PlayStation camera and Project Morpheous
  • PS4, PSN, Streaming, PS Now Beta
  • PS Vita
  • PlayStation TV & Bundle
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Powers
  • Ratchet and Clank The Movie
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Uncharted 4
Sony kicked started their Press Conference with Bungie's latest title, Destiny! I for one am very interested for Destiny and I know that Bungie is talented enough to make this game very well! It was also confirmed that PS4 owner July 17th A bundle for a while PS4 bundled with Destiny game was confirmed to be available to the public on September 9th 2014! How cool is that! The Order 1886 was also shown off after the Destiny bundle was announced and it looks incredible! You can really feel the dark atmosphere of the game and it did give me chilling goosebumps. I can't wait to see more about The Order 1886. The third game revealed was a new IP known as Entwined and while we only got a small glimpse of the game, if you are a PS4 owner you can now purchase the game from the PlayStation Network for only $9.99! I think this title looks intriguing and I wish I could have a first-hand experience with the game as it does look my kind of game! We also got extra content for Infamous: Second Son and the extra content will be available starting August 2014!

Little Big Planet 3 was also revealed today! We got a detailed look at the game and it looks incredible! New character was also revealed to be part of the game better know as Oddsock, Toggle, and Swoop to assist Sackboy in his adventure in his latest installment of Little Big Planet. Oddsock, Toggle, and Swoop and special abilities to help out Sackboy and provide a lot gameplay elements that help entice the game that much more! The gameplay looks like a lot of fun and I do hope we get more information about the game as E3 continues! A new IP has also been announced entitled known as Bloodborne. From the trailer we get a very dark and grim environment. From the start we see the main character explore this dark environment and while not much was shown, form my perspective it appears to look like some form of survival/horror game. It really gave me shivers down my spine and I do hope we get to see more about Bloodborne in the future.

FarCry 4 also got a better look at Sony's press conference and based on the trailer presented, the game seems very large and open. We also get a look at the co-op multiplayer for a while later on during the gameplay trailer and I really do enjoy what I am seeing. While I may not know that much when it comes to the FarCry series, this game really looks well done and I'm sure it is going to be a blast to play. It was also confirmed that even if your friends don't have the game, you can invite your friends to play with you! That's impressive as most games don't offer that kind of functionality and that's a great way to allow players to play the game and then eventually buy the game for themselves.

We also got a new zombie game revealed for the first time entitled Dead Island 2. The trailer looked rather nice and at first I thought it was funny and witty, but eventually you can see the personality in the game as the trailer continues on. Speaking of zombies, we knew that The Last of Us was coming for PS4, but there is going to be extra content for Diablo III that will have dungeons with clickers and the rest of the zombie crew found from The Last of Us. I'm really interested to see how those dungeons will be made!

Battlefield Hardline also got a better look in after the announcement of Dead Island 2. Honestly, I like the action and atmosphere for Battlefield Hardline. I hope more information can be provided during this year's E3 convention. We also got a look at special and exclusive content for Disney Infinity 2 only available for the PS4. Magicka 2 was revealed today and while the trailer was comical, the personality is there and it looks like my kind of game.

Starting off as a little inside joke between Adam Boyes and "Sally T.", Grim Fandango will be remastered after 15 long years. Fans were going crazy and happy to see this game be remastered after such a long time. Just like with Microsoft, Sony showed off their own shares of developer games that will coming to the PS4 and most of these games look incredible even with only a few seconds of gameplay scene within the trailers.

We also got to see a new title known as Let It Die and it looks very cool! Not much could have been scene of the game, but it does intrigue me and I would like to see more of Let It Die. The developer studio Giant Studio has joined Sony to bring a new game better known as ABZU. It looks gorgeous and with its aquatic atmosphere, it just looks so great!

We get a look at the title known as No Man's Sky from indie developer studio Hello Games. No Man's Sky promises to not allow two people to have the same experience! That's insane and the game does really look like it promises that statement! Sony also stated that they are trying make the PlayStation camera and Project Morpheous a better way to enjoy what the PS4 has to offer. In fact, Project Morpheous is available for demo at the Sony booth at E3.

PSN was also discussed near the end of the press conference and one thing that brought a lot of attention is simply that the PS4 is joining forces with YouTube and players not only have easier access to stream their own games, but now they can interact with other users who are streaming and what you say to the scream, those people you are watching their stream will get the message. You can either help or hurt them,the decision is yours but you are able to interact with them in real time! That's amazing and I do believe this feature has a lot of potential for Sony. PS Now was also mentioned and will be available for the PS3, PS4, and PS Vita for the United States and Canada starting next month. It seems Sony also have faith for the PS Vita now that PS Now will be a part of the system. Hopefully this can help out the system even more. Only time will tell. Hopefully the PS Vita will do much better this year.

PlayStation TV is the new console that will be launching in the United States, Canada, and Europe this upcoming fall. There's over 1000+ titles that PlayStation TV will be able to play at launch and the price will be only for $99.99! There's also another bundle for $139.99 that comes with a DualShock controller, a 8 GB memory card, a PS3, and a copy of the The Lego Movie: The Video Game.

Mortal Kombat X also got its very first gameplay footage at the conference and it looks gorgeous! The animation of each of the characters look amazing and game just takes my breath away. The stages look glorious and really captures the atmosphere of Mortal Kombat! I can't wait for this game to come out!

Powers is a television series based on the comic graphic novels based on the same name and focuses on two characters that solves crime dealing with "powers". Concept art has been revealed about what the show will be about and I am actually interested to see this show to air. We will get more information on the show as summer continues to linger and the show will be able to to every PSN user starting this December and will get to view the first episode for free. Anyone who is a PlayStation Plus subscriber will get to see the entire series for free. Ratchet and Clank The Movie was also announced and it looks amazing! I really want to see this movie as the animation looks incredible!

The Last of Us Remastered will be available for PS4 on July 29, 2014. We know what the The Last of Us is and I'm sure it will play the same as it did on the PS3. Moving on, we got a look on Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain. From the trailer we get to see what Phantom Pain will have to offer and it looks stunning! The music playing with trailer really added a sense of personality and a dark atmosphere in which we are sure to see in Phantom Pain. Grand Theft Auto 5 will also be making its way to the PS4 this upcoming fall.

From the publishing giant Warner Bros., we get a better look at Batman: Arkham Knight. The gameplay looks amazing and as always the atmophere is just beautiful! Can't wait to see more about Arkham Knight in future days!

One last title that was shown to close the press conference which was developed from Naughty Dog. The rumors can end as Uncharted 4 has finally been confirmed for the PS4! The trailer looks amazing and I really love the design of the game. Simply a 30 second for the game is satisfying enough since we know the game is going to play and look gorgeous in the process.

What were your thoughts for the entire press conference? Do you think Sony did an excellent job or was not excited for i? I personally thought that Sony did an excellent job with their presentation and so far this E3 is looking much better than last year's, not that it was a bad experience for them last year but every year should be done better and I do believe that Sony did just that! I personally think that Sony did better than Microsoft simply because of the sheer amount of content that was shown throughout the press conference. Discuss on what you thought about Sony's press conference.

Last edited:
Being a big fan of Bungie's original Halo games, I'll definitely pick up Destiny, yet after several iconic adventures with the Master Chief, I'm unsure if this game will hold the same place in my heart. Single player has always been an important game aspect for me, and this year's E3 placed heavy emphasis on multiplayer being the future. Maybe I'm starting to panic too early.

Little Big Planet 3 was the most pleasing announcement from the Sony's conference. As a huge Mario fan, LBP offers something unique with its physics based puzzles and focus on physics. Perhaps it's too familiar although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Even though I should have expected more ports considering the PS4 hasn't been out for long, I remain conflicted about late ports from games released last year such as The Last of Us and GTA V. If people wanted to buy those games, I imagine they already would have on the previous consoles which have an established software base.

The other thing I wanted to comment on is Playstation TV. It's a bit steep on the cost, but playing remotely on a second TV is a huge convenience. It seems Nintendo's ideas are rubbing off onto its competitors. That's one thing I love about technology industries; they're so quick at reacting and adapting to changing consumer needs.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Where can I find Nintendo's conference tomorrow? It's on TV, right? Please tell me it's of TV. It's not on TV, is it? Damn, it's not on TV.
I will say that Metal Gear Solid attracted my intention. Pretty cool game. I'm surprised they didn't announce God of War. That's Sony golden calf.

Fig

The Altruist
Where can I find Nintendo's conference tomorrow? It's on TV, right? Please tell me it's of TV. It's not on TV, is it? Damn, it's not on TV.
I will say that Metal Gear Solid attracted my intention. Pretty cool game. I'm surprised they didn't announce God of War. That's Sony golden calf.

Sadly Nintendo's Direct will not be viewed on the television but on it's own site, which the link to the site will be here. I do hope that Nintendo does bring a lot of hype and give the fans a lot to discussion and speculate on! There's such much that Nintendo could talk about but with directs usually being aroudn the 30-40 range of length, perhaps is why they will be streaming using their stream server Treehouse that will be streaming coverage after the direct for another eight or so hours until E3 has concluded.

Ganondork

goo
It was a really good presentation. The problem is I don't own a PS4, and I now really feel like I should consider getting once.

I am stoked for Destiny, but I feel like I need to get it on PS4, as I'll be missing out on so much if I get it on 360. This bothers me how much they made it seem that PlayStation 4 players will get all of this great exclusive stuff, and everyone is **** out of luck. That really didn't sit well with me, but I am very interested in the game. I guess I'll be getting it anyway, so I am kind of stuck.

I have no interest in The Order: 1886. It's so bland looking and the color palette is so boring. The Evil Within is very guilty of this as well, and I have lost all interest in both games. Unity is continuing to disappoint me as Ubisoft continues to ruin the series that I once loved.

Far Cry 4 is looking great. I noticed during Ubisoft's presentation that the main antagonist is actually decently written, which is very strange for a company as incompetent as Ubisoft. I think I will end up picking that up, but I have no interest in purchasing the UBIWORKSHOP ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION BROUGHT TO YOU BY SPRINT.

What little bit of Bloodborne that we've seen is keeping me interested. I was bashing the palette of The Order and The Evil Within about two paragraphs back, but I feel like this game is going to work well with the color scheme. It seems awfully edgy, but I am willing to give it a chance.

The big game that has my interest, and has for the better part of nine months, is No Man's Sky. I love all of the exploration that is going to be in the game, and the art style is so refreshing. I've been following it for quite awhile now, and I was so happy to see it greenlit on Steam. Watching more information for it be unveiled to the public was amazing for me, and is beyond exciting for me.

ABZU and Entwined both look great, as well. I don't know much about either, but they all have my attention. That's more than enough to get a purchase out of me when we are talking indie. That is, if I ever get a PlayStation 4.

The rest I can't say I care about. Good job Sony - you're the only one not to be cripplingly disappointing thus far.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm with Keith, the only downside is that I don't own a PS4, but that's the point, this presentation was basically drawing me in and sold me on a console like never before.

In my opinion they balanced out games and software perfectly, which is something that Microsoft have trouble with for some reason. Last year MS focused more on the console and it's software and that miserably failed while this year it was 100% games. Sony had the right balance. They started out introducing a few existing IP's, multiplats, new exclusives and they gradually introduced bigger more eye catching titles which is the perfect way to keep The viewer's attention. Then they switched to the console and it's features but still finished with a bang. What a great, well set out, and captivating presentation. Now that I think of it, MS did pretty bad in comparison.

Anyway let's focus on games, more specifically IPs. The first two I wasn't really fond of (The Order and Bloodbourne). I actually like the dark tone, but there wasn't enough shown to make me go "I want that game". There were a few others like this to be honest and you're bound to not have interest in every title that was shown.

The games that really captured my interest looked pretty amazing, I'll list them below:

• Uncharted 4
  • Little big Planet 3
  • No Man's Sky
  • ABZU
  • Entwined
  • Let it Die

The top two speak for themselves, they're Sony juggernauts in a way and some of my favourite games on the PS3, wait no, of all time, came out of those two series. Uncharted is just a beautiful looking game with immense detail, with a captivating story and interesting characters. Little Big Planet on the other hand is a completely different entirely; it's fun, creative, interactive, and it has endless possibilities.

The other games really stood out to me just because they looked so fresh. Entwined at first looked kind of odd, but once they revealed that the concept was using both analog sticks that really got me interested. I just like the idea that it's a fast paced, stylistic puzzle game. Will it be a world beater? Probably not, but it looks stunning and fun. Another stylistic game that I enjoyed (as listed above) was ABZU. Honestly I was really hoping the people behind the masterful Journey would show up. Obviously not much was shown, but I'm a big fan of these types of games, it's like playing art in a way, so hopefully it lives up to its predecessor. Oh and Let it Die looked... innovative too as Suda 51 is a pretty well known, well, out there game designer.

The game that really got me excited though was No Man's Sky. I can't even put into words how great I think the idea of this game it. See this is the kind of scale and grandeur that developers should strive to achieve in this new generation of games. It's ambitious, beautiful, expansive and just different. I'm a big fan of exploration, endless exploration even more, the idea that you can go literally anywhere in vast--what was the word they used?--ah infinite, world. It's like they've plucked two of my biggest wants and put them into a game. I'm fascinated with the universe and all it's weird mysteries while open exploration-like games are possibly my favourite. If this game is executed to even a fraction of my expectations then I think I might have a new game to put in my top ten.

---

Overall it was pretty impressive. They started slow but it gradually got better, better, and then even better. I wasn't fond of their constant emphasis that PS4 is better, I'll be the critic on that, but it showed that this generation Sony is in charge. Apart from a lot of great games shown, they also showed some really neat features on the actual console: Sony TV? Yes please. Free to play? Yes please. Upload vids straight to YouTube? Yes please. I really want a PS4 now damn :I

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Just woken up so not going to do a game by game discussion, but it was awesome! Bloodborne was leaked and looked amazing even in those really early, short gameplay clips and screenshots, and it still looks incredible now, definitely want that game! And Grim Fandango. <3 And Ratchet and Clank! Came out of nowhere but I'm so glad to hear about them. So many games announced that I really loved the look of. And just like Microsoft's presentation, there was no 'Bad' to it. Everything ranged from "I WANT IT" to "Looks cool!" which is a very accurate way of rating game announcements, I'll have you know. Nothing but good makes me a happy bunny!

One thing I don't really do is compare who has the best conference; all I think is "Did they sell me their console?" Because that's really what E3 is all about. Microsoft came in swinging and did it. And Sony did it too I feel! Really puts the pressure on Nintendo to follow-up 2 very awesome conferences, and I really enjoyed EA's to boot. They gave me a lot to look forward to and I'll definitely be buying a PS4 somewhere along the line, that's been pretty much confirmed. I already have an Xbox and Wii U and I don't think we can really afford a full-price PS4, but, dat white Destiny PS4... may need to splash out on that.

Overall, good stuff. I liked the balance of new IPs, continuing loved franchises, and bringing back a few lost gems, specifically Grim Fandango. That's pretty much exactly what I want the industry to do! :D I think Bloodborne is sitting happy just behind Sunset Overdrive in my list of new IPs I'm most excited for.

8/10, Sony. Very impressed! :)

octorok74

TETTAC
I just watched a brief recap of Sony's thing and mainly only focused myself on Destiny and Far Cry 4. I'm really excited for both of those games, but even more so for Destiny. Bungie is such an amazing company and know how to make a game great, Destiny I have no doubts will sell incredibly well. It's actually funny to read YouTube comments about how Bungie is abandoning their Xbox fanbase. I'm an Xbox guy, but I like this reaching out to the other side. As for Far Cry 4, all I can say is another crazy bad guy is on the way. One thing I will commend Sony for is having a console that companies love beta testing with. Xbone got Titanfall, but that was exclusive to us. PS4 gets pretty much every other beta and that just amazes me. Nice job on securing that.

From the recap of Sony's presentation I feel they did a great job. Both major companies hit it out of the park this year at E3. Congratulations to both and may they both have a good year.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's actually funny to read YouTube comments about how Bungie is abandoning their Xbox fanbase.

Even though Destiny is also coming out on Xbox One, wat? :P Well, I guess you don't look for rational thinking in Youtube comments...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom