• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony Doesn't Expect Big Day 1 for Move

Sony has always been a company that doesn’t win the 100 meter dash. Instead, they’re more in tune with winning the marathon over a longer period of time. Though in the past, they’ve held the lead for the majority of that marathon, this generation, they’re having to play catch up and they’re doing so very well. What does this have to do with anything? Well, with recent comments from an SCE executive about PlayStation Move expectations, it goes along perfectly with that analogy.
Ray Maguire, SCE Senior Vice President, isn’t expecting millions upon millions of PlayStation Moves to sell on day one. Instead, he believes that word of mouth, much like with the EyeToy, will spread like wildfire and that the Move accessory will pick up and grow over time. However, after visiting and calling in to most GameStop within a 50 mile radius in the Dallas, TX area, I believe Sony is going to be quite surprised with how well the Move actually sells (as will I). What I was told by most managers is that the PlayStation Move is actually exceeding Kinect preorders by a pretty healthy margin at these locations (almost all 50).
I realize this is a small sample size, but if it is a trend, Sony is going to be happy with Day 1 results.
“Move is a natural extension in the same way as we brought EyeToy to PS2,” Ray Maguire told Eurogamer. “Exactly as with EyeToy in the PS2 days, it’s a product that needs to be sampled. You need to get your hands on it. You need to understand it. You need to try it. Am I expecting a massive day one? Not particularly. We didn’t with EyeToy, either. It went on to be massively successful.
“As people saw the value when they tried it they told their friends. Their friends bought it. They told their friends. Word of mouth grew the marketplace. That’s what I expect from Move as well.”
I suppose that taking this stance publicly will make things a lot easier for the company if things don’t go too well. In fact, gamers may appreciate the lack of arrogance that Sony usually portrays with its products. How many of you guys have PlayStation Move on preorder? I know that I have 3 Starter Kits preordered to give away to our readers — but that’s about it!

Source: http://www.playstationuniversity.com/sony-doesnt-expect-big-day-1-for-move-4353/

Comments?

Nice. But I still think Nintendo PWNed E3 this year. I like all 3 game systems and the Move will probably be good, but it looks like some weird toy that one would do secret things with. :angel:

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
I have a PS3, but don't care much about Move and won't be getting it anytime soon, unless I need it.

I remember that one weekend almost four years ago when people were camping outside for both PS3's and Wiis. I don't exactly remember how well the Playstation hardware sells, but then again, Move could become popular. I just don't like the fact that some call Move a "Wii Remote for hardcore gamers" type thing.

@bradley: I watched both the Sony and Nintendo press conferences for E3, and with Sony's, there were only a few things that were of interest to me. Nintendo's on the other hand, was great compared to years before.

As an owner of a PS3, the Move doesn't interest me at all. Why should it? No amazing games are scheduled to be released for it, and my PS3 library accepts only the best because of the price tag on new games. Plus, why would I even want to use it? I got enough of that back in 2007 when I played Wii Sports all day; I'm really not interested in motion control gimmicks anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom