• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony DID NOT Copy Nintendo

Majora's Cat

How about that
Many may not believe me, but it's true. Many of you think this is Sony's attempt to cash in on Nintendo's broad crowd of casual gamers. While it may seem like it, it is probably not true. Here's why:

"When Sony debuted a prototype of Move at last year's E3, many gamers dismissed it as an attempt to cash in on Nintendo's success in motion-based gaming. However, the developement of Move goes back much further than people realize. Sony began experimenting with tracking colored spheres as early as 2001, before the release of the original Eye Toy for the PS2. The earliest prototype was simply a ball on a stick, but Sony couldn't solve other color recognition problems created by inconsistent lighting. Around 2004/2005 the company began experimenting with glowing spheres, but were limited to one color - if a player's lights or walls used a similar shade, the camera still couldn't detect it. Three years ago, the LEDs used in Move became cheaper, allowing for a device that can change colors on the fly and accomodate all different lighting situations. Although Move features many similar abilities to the Wii remote, many of the parts - such as a six-axis sensors and rumble components - were taken directly from the DualShock" (Game Informer, Issue 209 Page 69).

So you see, Sony's Move controller was not just a clone of the Wii remote - Sony has been working on it a long time, perhaps longer than Nintendo had been working on the Wii.

P.S. I am not some PlayStaion fanboy - I don't like Sony's game consoles at all. I just want to show some people that things are not always what they seem. :P

Zarom

The King
Yeah, but you have to remember that Nintendo had already worked with motion controls during the 80's. They created the Power Glove, an accessory for the NES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_glove And beside that, I don't think Sony would have ever dare to release a console solely based on motion controls. But now that Nintendo did it and succeeded, they want to attract the casual players back.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yeah, but you have to remember that Nintendo had already worked with motion controls during the 80's. They created the Power Glove, an accessory for the NES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_glove And beside that, I don't think Sony would have ever dare to release a console solely based on motion controls. But now that Nintendo did it and succeeded, they want to attract the casual players back.

Just what I was about to say.;) And you're forgetting the Duck Hunt Gun too.

Last edited:

Kybyrian

This is exactly what many people are trying to tell everybody, but they don't listen. They are not copying Nintendo, they are simply using technology that is available.

It would have happened even if Nintendo hadn't created motion controls. The gaming industry is evolving, and we'll be getting these kinds of things. Sony was building up for motion controls for a while, and people just don't realize that. People also don't realize that using a technology is not the same as completely copying something. People want to say that the PS Move copies the look of the Wii Remote, but what else could they do? They have clear differences, and it's really the only design that works well.

If Nintendo never made the Wii, we would have still seen the PS Move eventually. Granted it may have been later, but we still would have seen it. There's no doubt that the gaming industry will evolve, and it's just a matter of who does it first. Wii got motion controls first, but that doesn't mean that everybody who uses motion controls is copying right off of Nintendo. That's like saying whatever company came up with a video gaming system first has been copied by every other company that created a system. The argument is invalid. It's simply technology that people are using, and it will happen one way or another. Everybody just likes to complain when some other company grabs the technology second.

When it comes to technology, why does it even matter if they copy another company or not? It's nearly impossible to be original in technology, since everything from phones to computers, and so on, builds on the previous technology. Trying to be entirely original and never using any other ideas could actually hinder progress in some cases.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This is exactly what many people are trying to tell everybody, but they don't listen. They are not copying Nintendo, they are simply using technology that is available.

It would have happened even if Nintendo hadn't created motion controls. The gaming industry is evolving, and we'll be getting these kinds of things. Sony was building up for motion controls for a while, and people just don't realize that. People also don't realize that using a technology is not the same as completely copying something. People want to say that the PS Move copies the look of the Wii Remote, but what else could they do? They have clear differences, and it's really the only design that works well.

If Nintendo never made the Wii, we would have still seen the PS Move eventually. Granted it may have been later, but we still would have seen it. There's no doubt that the gaming industry will evolve, and it's just a matter of who does it first. Wii got motion controls first, but that doesn't mean that everybody who uses motion controls is copying right off of Nintendo. That's like saying whatever company came up with a video gaming system first has been copied by every other company that created a system. The argument is invalid. It's simply technology that people are using, and it will happen one way or another. Everybody just likes to complain when some other company grabs the technology second.

Well still, Sony needs to be more original. If you think about it, Nintendo came up with a lot things that is still being used today. For example, the vibrating controller was used on the N64 as an add on, the Wavebird Controller was wireless on the Gamecube, and now the Motion Controls are of course on the Wii. I'm not saying that Microsoft didn't copy either because I'm not one of those Playstation bashers. But even Microsoft is staying more original then Sony. They were the first to have the guide button and the whole achievement thing. But then Sony has to copy with the Trophy thingamajig, on top of that Microsoft is one-upping motion controls with Kinect. Yeah I don't mind that companies are "stealing" from each other, because it's just advancing in technology, but all I ask for is to be original and have something that is different from all the rest. I mean come on, Nintendo was creative enough to have Double Screens with touch screen, Motion Controls, and now 3D gaming, and Microsoft has the whole Kinect thing now. So why can't Sony offer something different that makes there system one of a kind?

Last edited:

Aelic7

The Young Drifter

That's true, but you would think they would have made it a bit more different. The controller shapes are almost identical, it uses a both a remote and nunchuck, and the button layouts are very similar. It's fine if Sony wants to use motion control, but they shouldn't copy Nintendo on the layout of the controllers.

Kybyrian

That's true, but you would think they would have made it a bit more different. The controller shapes are almost identical, it uses a both a remote and nunchuck, and the button layouts are very similar. It's fine if Sony wants to use motion control, but they shouldn't copy Nintendo on the layout of the controllers.

Covered it... there really isn't much choice on the layout of the controllers. What are you going to have, a box? A complete rectangle? That's like the Wii Remote too, though. What other design could you have aside from a wand? A little box you hold in your hand leaves no room for buttons and is completely stupid... everything else doesn't work, either. It's hard to be completely original when there's few options and all are like the other in some way or another.

Also, Turo, I see what you're saying. Sony is quite unoriginal... they seem to use everything that everybody else uses, and have very few things to make them unique. I will say this, though. The PS3 has better graphics than both the Xbox 360 and the Wii. It also has a Bluray player. I'm not a Playstation 3 owner myself, so I don't know of any other things that make them a little more unique and original, but those are a couple. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could find more, whether it be in past consoles or the present.

Well, in the beginning I was mad at Sony for "copying" Nintendo, but then I though it throught and I realised that, even if it was just a way to steal a piece of Nintendo's cake, it was a completely different technology, and if companies didn't try to create new technologies to reach the public of other companies, technology would never envolve. Now I think that it might be something positive, and I think that how the move works is brilliant! It found a way to make a motion controller withouth the need of a thousants of different sensors (liike in the wii remote + motion plus) that would make the controller heavy, big and expensive (even though it needs a camera to work).

What is important is to develop further old technologies without stop to create new ones, and that is the point where Sony is wrong. As other have already said, recently, Sony's technologies have just been an improvement from old ones, without creating anything completely new!

And I think in the end Sony won't use it in casual games, but mainly in hardcore games, because the PS3 is an expensive console, and casual gamers don't care much about graphics, so in the end they will still preffer to buy the Wii. Being unable to steal Nintendo's audience, they will concentrate in developing hardcore games using the Move that appeal to the audience they already have.

Austin

Austin
I agree, Sony didn't copy Nintendo so much as they took a cue from them and started to direct their products in the way the market seems to be heading. Why not take advantage of something that's more or less guaranteed to make a profit? Furthermore, I'm sure if the positions were reversed Nintendo would be "copying" them as well. Nintendo has always seemed to be ahead of the game, but I'm sure that if Sony or Microsoft beat them to the punch for once, they wouldn't hold back in mimicking them.

But, my real question is, does it really matter? That's the thought that came to mind when I saw this thread and the other pro-Nintendo thread. I mean, seriously, why would you get mad at a huge corporation that will not be aware or affected by your emotions? I've never understood this fanboy garbage, if another company comes along and makes better games, I'm extremely happy and I buy those instead. If they come along and make worse games, I ignore it. If you show "loyalty" to a gaming company, you'll most likely end up hurting yourself as you torture yourself as a result of their misfortunes and ignore any quality releases from their competitors. Bit of a stupid thing to do, in my opinion.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Im not trying to be a Fanboy with this but,
My question is, what is more important, who brought the motion controls/finished product first in the market, or who first began experimenting it?
Either way, Nintendo was first. Not only the concept or shape, but the software innovations to back it up as well.

Not to mention that Eye Toy wasn't Sony's idea either. Sega with the Dreamcast already had that hardware called Dreameye.
It was only released in Japan as a Webcam and Digital Camera. Sega had plans to make games with this. But then it got bankruped.

Sega had the hardware but went down simply because they didn't have the software to back it up.
So now that that Sony has brought the move to the market, lets see if they don't make the same mistake as Sega.

A picture of the Dreameye:
dreameye.jpg

Last edited:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I don't think the main reason why people get so upset is that it seems like Sony copies.... the big upsetter is that Sony usually just hops on the bandwagon instead of being innovative on their own. Even if Nintendo didn't make the Wii, yeah, we'd probably see something like the Move eventually... but probably not from Sony, heh heh. They're not necessarily copying, just using available technology like somebody else pointed out. Unfortunately, this makes them seem like they are copying. Still, I feel like Sony isn't very creative and should start coming up with their own stuff instead of just doing what other companies are doing.

But, that's technology for ya.

Im not trying to be a Fanboy with this but,
My question is, what is more important, who brought the motion controls/finished product first in the market, or who first began experimenting it?
Either was, Nintendo was first. Not only the concept or shape, but the software innovations to back it up as well.

Well, in my opinion, neither of those are the most important. I think that the most important is who deliver the best product. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't buy the one that came first or after. I would just buy the best one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom