• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sonic the Hedgehog

.Remember how I said I would move on from Old School Sonic? Well I lied, because most of the Sonic games they make now suck. Sonic Unleashed is absolutely horrid. Sonic Heroes wasn't that bad, though.

I disagree about Sonic Unleashed. Sure, the night time levels are horrible, but I thought the day time levels did a good job attempting to get back to the old-school Sonic style. You're right about Sonic Heroes though. I thought the Chaotix levels were especially memorable.

Kybyrian

Well, you're right, the day time levels were better than the night time. I didn't like the whole werehog thing at all...

Most of the Sonic Heroes levels were pretty good, aside from the ones with the fat purple cat guy.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
The old sonic games were really good.

As for the 3d sonic games, well its not perfect but i still like it.
Not too long ago i decided to buy sonic and the black knight. IGN gave it a 3.9 but still i bought it, its not the first time i ignored IGN's ratings.

Anyway, i kinda liked the game. Sure it has its flaws but i still enjoyed it. They made a good improvement compared sonic and the secrect rings.

The old sonic games were really good.

As for the 3d sonic games, well its not perfect but i still like it.
Not too long ago i decided to buy sonic and the black knight. IGN gave it a 3.9 but still i bought it, its not the first time i ignored IGN's ratings.

Anyway, i kinda liked the game. Sure it has its flaws but i still enjoyed it. They made a good improvement compared sonic and the secrect rings.

I haven't bought it yet. I got Secret Rings when it first came out, and my expectations were quite low, but it was much better that I expected it to be.

On a side note, I just finished the Final Ending in Shadow the Hedgehog. If you put aside the fact that this game has nothing to do with Sonic, I think it's a bit enjoyable.

Kybyrian

I don't think that Sonic and the Black Knight will be all that good. I saw it at Gamestop on Saturday and thought I might get it, but I decided not to because I thought it wouldn't be very good.

I miss the days when they made good 3-D Sonic games like Sonic Adventure1 and 2.
Sonic Team has shown that they can make good 3-D Sonic games,so why can't they get back to making them?

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I don't think that Sonic and the Black Knight will be all that good. I saw it at Gamestop on Saturday and thought I might get it, but I decided not to because I thought it wouldn't be very good.

It depends on the person itself.
If you rather want a 3-D fast high speed sonic title (like the 2-D versions)
Well i don't know any 3-D sonic title like that, except the daytime missions on Sonic unleased. but the whole wherehog thing messed it up so i decided not to buy it.

Sonic and the black knight has rather a simple gameplay compared to the previous sonic titles. No more one long complicated list of skills like Sonic and the secret rings. There is a level up system but not as long and complicated like secret rings.
Also this time the game is a little longer compared to secret rings, i finished secret rings like within 2 hours.

Also it has some cool extra's like collecting items, and those items can be used as equipment or materials for forging/making weapons.
Those weapons can be used by shadow/lancelot, knuckles/gawain, blaze/percival.
yes you can play these characters in some missions.

as for sonic, he only uses one weapon but instead he has 3 different styles. (speed, power, balanced).

General Lee

Classic Gamer
I really do not like modern Sonic. Now before you disagree, make sure you have played the Genesis, Master System( yes there was a Sonic game on the Master System), Game Gear, Sega CD etc. games.

When I was a kid, I used to play Sonic at my aunts house alllll the time. I just loved how fast the game speed was, and how it was almost like a platformer, and a racing game combined.

Sonic 1, 2 ,3 is Sonic at its best. When these games were released, they were ground breaking in the processing speed that allowed Sonic to run so fast. The level design and 2D aspect was great for me. I also loved playing Sonic 3 with the Sonic and Knuckles add-on. Now, look at the modern Sonic games. 3-D veiw, different stages etc. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast, or Gamecube) is really where Sonic changed In my mind. If you ask me, It just didnt feel like a Sonic game. The whole Sonic 1,2,3 appeal just was lost and it took on more of a 3-D adventure role. I mean sure its fun, but its just not Sonic as I know it. (If your more of a classic gamer, you will understand what I mean)

When I think of Sonic, I think of the classic games, and I really think Sonic was a revolution in gaming. I mean there is many cartoons, games, action figures, and the modern gamers are attracted to it as well. I just wish everyone could play Sonic like it used to be so they could understand when people say "its just not the same."

C

CoolSpot

Well most of the sonic game now a days arent as fun as they used to i didnt really like sonic heroes i got bored of it really fast, i find sonic3 & knuckles really fun i cant stop playing some times. the ones on the ds are ok and the ones on the wii are just a joke sonic unleashed was alright i just didnt like the werhog thing.

SA1 and SA2 are just gold, SA2 i think is the best 3D sonic game yet. i wish sonic team would make the games they used to, sonic and the black knight come on is that the best you can do like this is a sad i game where you are a really fast hedgehog with a sword like wtf. i cant take these games.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
well, there is one fact, sega is being stubborn and not listening to the fans.
Now the fans want a 3-D sonic game that can really have that old classic feeling like the 2-D games. They can achieve it but for some reason they always experiment new engines. Its really weird. Experimenting is not bad, but still to listen to the fans is important. At least nintendo tries that with their own 1st party titles.

So with sonic and the black knight, finnaly i have collected all items and weapons. Now normally you can trade items with wifi. But its not impossible to gain all items witout trading. In fact, you will figure out that some items can only be gained in certain levels and not randomly.

One other sonic game i also enjoyed is Sonic raiders Zero gravity. I never played Sonic Raiders before and it was getting bad reactions, but i kinda liked zero gravity. But i would liked it better if it had more levels and a online wifi race rather then regestering and downloading ghost data record. But hey, at least sega takes the trouble to actually make use of the wifi. Still this game is nothing compared to Mario kart wii or even F zero GX.

well, there is one fact, sega is being stubborn and not listening to the fans.
Now the fans want a 3-D sonic game that can really have that old classic feeling like the 2-D games. They can achieve it but for some reason they always experiment new engines. Its really weird. Experimenting is not bad, but still to listen to the fans is important. At least nintendo tries that with their own 1st party titles.

So with sonic and the black knight, finnaly i have collected all items and weapons. Now normally you can trade items with wifi. But its not impossible to gain all items witout trading. In fact, you will figure out that some items can only be gained in certain levels and not randomly.

One other sonic game i also enjoyed is Sonic raiders Zero gravity. I never played Sonic Raiders before and it was getting bad reactions, but i kinda liked zero gravity. But i would liked it better if it had more levels and a online wifi race rather then regestering and downloading ghost data record. But hey, at least sega takes the trouble to actually make use of the wifi. Still this game is nothing compared to Mario kart wii or even F zero GX.

I don't understand it either. Why do they keep adding new elements and twists to the gameplay? I think it was fine the way it was SA2.

I think Sonic Riders is one of the better Sonic spin offs. Personally, I didn't care for Sonic Spinball or Robitniks Mean Bean Machine, but Sonic riders, the first and the second, proved to be much better than the other spin offs. I would buy the third one if they ever decide to make one.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Well since we are discussing about the sonic games.
Lets talk about the music. To tell you the truth, i think that the music is actually good with the 3-D games. Ok when it was 2-D it had this music melodie kinda thing. when they began 3-D, they made it rock themed soundtracks. Some people might dislike it but i really like the music they make.

Going a little off topic, if i look back at games that sega made and if i look back to the soundtracks, they are really masterpieces. Like Sonic series, Jetset Radio, and also F-Zero GX ect...
And i actually download these soundtracks, because most of them are really good.

Dark_Kokiri

I be a Kokiri~
Oooh....Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis was my very first videogame. And I even got to play it on the original console, what a treat. X3

Anyhoo, I love the 2D ones, form the original to Sonic CD. They have sentimental value to me because they were my favorite series as a kid, and basically the only series that I loyally followed. I really liked some of the 3D ones, but at a certain point I gave up on the series, now I'm a loyal Zelda fan. (Yes, I am looking forward to Spirit Tracks, mind you. XD)

Anyways, I would play the Genesis at my friend's house. He lived across the street from me and I would go over there almost every day to play Sonic 2 with him. I was always Tails and kind of the decoy when it came to the bosses because Tails has infinate lives. We had all these complicated strategies for the bosses, special zones, and just plain finishing the level, at ages 4-5, no less! Fun stuff, and this was basically the pattern that my friend and I followed with every 2D game.

One day, my dad brought home Sega Dreamcast. How I loved that thing, it came with a special blue transparent memory card, one remote control, and two Sonic games: Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Adventure. We later bought Sonic Adventure 2. I love all three of them, and I highly reccomend them to all Sonic fans. I'm not talking about the re-makes for the Gamecube, oh no. Play them on the Dreamcast, it's a totally different experience, espically in the Chao Gardens. Anyhoo, those were the best games I've ever played. Later, my youngest sister got a GAmecube for her birthday, and seeing that my discs for the Dreamcast were all scratched and busted (I never took good care of them when I was young.) my dad bought us the Gamecube versions of those games. Sadly, I am yet yo find a transfered version of Sonic Shuffle, I loved that game despite how hard it was. It was always better than Mario Party in my opinion. (then again, I've only played 4 on so I never got the N64 experience. =P)

Holy....ok, I'll stop. That was much more than I expected to type out. I'll be back to this topic later to continue my thoughts. XD

Well since we are discussing about the sonic games.
Lets talk about the music. To tell you the truth, i think that the music is actually good with the 3-D games. Ok when it was 2-D it had this music melodie kinda thing. when they began 3-D, they made it rock themed soundtracks. Some people might dislike it but i really like the music they make.

Going a little off topic, if i look back at games that sega made and if i look back to the soundtracks, they are really masterpieces. Like Sonic series, Jetset Radio, and also F-Zero GX ect...
And i actually download these soundtracks, because most of them are really good.

I they did an excellent job with the music as well. Crush 40 did an excellent job fitting the mood in each game with their songs. Some favorites of mine are Live and Learn (SA2 theme), What I'm Made Of (Sonic Heroes, Metal Overlord battle), I Am (Shadow the Hedgehog theme) and All Hail Shadow (Shadow the Hedgehog credits), and all of them except the latter are by Crush 40. And those are just the main songs. Most of the Stage music was excellent as well.

But some of it really sucked. Tails' and Amy's theme from SA were...... just bad.

Modern Sonic Characters

Okay, onto whatever I wanted to say. I grew up with alot of the older Sonic games. When I was under the impression that Knuckles was cool, everyone else was all over Shadow. Eventually I got a demo of Sonic Heroes and got the impression that he was better that Knux. Then I thought E-102 Gamma was cool, then Omega. Then, once Silver became cool, I lost all faith in new sonic games. Silver took what Sonic was, and just blew it. Then came Blaze the cat, then the babylon rogues, then all these uber custom Sonic characters. I thought that Sonic lost it's cool. Now that Metal Sonic is apparently going to be in Mario & Sonic at the winter olympics, I feel like the Sonic Team is coming to their senses.

So now I want your opinion on all these new characters in Sonic. Pleas give reasons why and most of all, do not flame others for their opinions.

EDIT: I don't really think of Big the Cat as a Sonic character. Especially how hard his levels were, how stupid he is, and overall, he didn't fit in.

Sonic-- Extremely fast hedgehog
Tails-- Flying Fox
Knuckles-- Gliding echdina that has pointy fists that shoot these red thingies.
Amy-- Love-crazy cat that has a big mallet
E-102-- FRIGGIN' ROBOT WITH LAZERS
Big-- Cat that fishes.

EDIT: Let us not forget how they screw up Sonic himself by making him go from super cool fast hedgehog, to a Final Fantasy hero that can transform into a stupid werehog that spoofs Twilight Princess. Sonic is supposed to be speedy and slick. Final Fantasy and Zelda should be tough and medieval like. I also hated how Sonic Chronicles was an RPG. What does that have to do with Sonic? Sonic should be able to just jump on the enemy all he wants while narrowly avoiding attacks. Not taking turns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom