• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Favorite Voice Cast?

Favorite Voice Cast

• Adventures of/Sonic the Hedgehog/Underground Era

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dreamcast Era

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 4Kids Era

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Post-4Kids/Sonic Boom Era

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Mido

Version 1
In the spare moments that I've had here and there, I've been taking a trip down memory lane and playing some Sonic games from various years. Whilst I enjoyed reminiscing about my favorite franchise from back in the day, I began thinking about the divisive opinions many have (of those who care) about the voice casts implemented in Sonic media over the past 25 years. This is where I'd like to pose the question above: Which voice cast did Sonic the most justice? Speak your mind!

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
The current vocal talent for Sonic the Hedgehog is the best we've ever had. It's just a shame that they're also attached to the most notorious game of this generation.

That being said, while I think Rodger Craig Smith is a phenomenal voice actor, he doesn't have the tone for Sonic. I think Ryan Drummond had the tone best, but didn't have the acting ability to portray him. I imagine if he had more time to grow as an actor, he could have stayed on.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Best ones were when Shadow The Hedgehog was made. I think that's the 4kids era. Most of the new voice actors I really dislike, though at least they kept on Mike Pollock as Dr Eggmans VA. He is perfect for the role.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I'll be honest, I hate most of the Dreamcast-Era voicecast. Except Deem Bristow. He was pretty good. Actually, most voice actors for Eggman are pretty good. Mike Pollock is by far the best though.
I'll go with 4kids-era. It's really when I got into Sonic, and it'll always be my favorite era and, with Sonic Heroes, my favorite cast.

I always hated the 4kids dub for Sonic. >_> Fake as the Dreamcast dub and the super old Sonic cartoons sounded, I much, much preferred those actors' portrayals. I actually voted for the new dub though; I think they do a really good job and their voices (particularly Tails) fit my ideals for the characters a lot more.

The Japanese one.

I mean they're still bad, but at least I can't understand them half the time so I can more easily ignore how bad they are.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
The voices I've heard now have been good, although I haven't played a Sonic game since Sonic Heroes.

I don't mind the Dreamcast voices, although I probably would if I never played those games growing up and got into them as I am now.

Going to have to go with the 4Kids era just because of nostalgia. I have fond memories watching Sonic X as a kid and thinking it was the coolest thing ever, which translated into the games fairly well in my head. I was kind of upset when they ditched the whole cast, but I'm overjoyed that they kept Pollock as Eggman - the man IS Eggman, and whenever I heard another voice for him I'm instantly jaded.

Mido

Version 1
Alright, now for a bit of commentary:

I'm honestly surprised that the love is not there for the ol' Dreamcast crowd! (I must admit that I have a huge soft spot for that cast). Strangely enough, I never quite got into the 4kids cast, and I specifically recall a nine year-old me being quite upset upon realizing the change when I first played Shadow the Hedgehog. :cool: I absolutely loathed the change at the time, and perhaps my butthurt still remains after all these years; however, while I still consider the group my least favorite cast, I cannot deny that among them are some of the best for the roles. Mike Pollock, as many of you have already mentioned, has become the definitive Eggman/Robotnik, and captures both the silliness and seriousness of the character all too well. I grew up with Bristow, who also was great, but Pollock has to be my favorite these days. The rest of the cast I could never get into. Dan Green is an awesome voice actor, but I found his Knuckles, while good, never seemed to have that 'coolness' the Scott Dreier Knuckles had. Jason Griffith's Sonic has ultimately grown on me over the years, and I can concede to the fact that he may very well be the best of the bunch as Sonic. He comes of as both light-hearted, but can be taken seriously at the same time. I ultimately like his Sonic over his Shadow, who comes off as a tad too dramatic at times, but his performance is far from bad. I still stand by the notion that David Humphrey's Shadow, specifically in Heroes, was the best one. Other than Green, Pollock, Griffith, and perhaps also Amy's VA whose name I don't recall off-hand, I cannot say I'm a huge fan of the rest of the cast, especially Tails.

I ultimately enjoy the newest cast the most mainly due to the performances being solid all around. I know there are many who loathe Roger Craig Smith's Sonic, but I actually find his take all right. His voice isn't the best for the character, but I think it's the way this Sonic is written that aids RCS's performance. It sort of reminds me of Jaleel White's Sonic in that he's a bit of a joker. I think the Tails VA's we've had in the new era have been the best two voicing the role, and Travis Willingham's Knuckles seems to find the right balance between Scott Dreier and Dan Green.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
I still stand by the notion that the current vocal talent for Sonic the Hedgehog is the best, but Jaleel White is the true Sonic voice for me. I grew up with Jaleel White's Sonic in early 90s, and while his character was very cocky and sure of himself, he did care about his friends to a degree (and Sonic SatAM is easily the best example of Sonic as he was in the 90s). Rodger Craig Smith's Sonic has the attitude, but the current writing has him sounding more like a jerk than someone who is self-confident.

Mido

Version 1
I still stand by the notion that the current vocal talent for Sonic the Hedgehog is the best, but Jaleel White is the true Sonic voice for me. I grew up with Jaleel White's Sonic in early 90s, and while his character was very cocky and sure of himself, he did care about his friends to a degree (and Sonic SatAM is easily the best example of Sonic as he was in the 90s). Rodger Craig Smith's Sonic has the attitude, but the current writing has him sounding more like a jerk than someone who is self-confident.

I agree with you entirely, except I stand by my bias that Ryan Drummond is the quote-on-quote 'true' Sonic voice. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, the height of Jaleel White's Sonic was before my time, even if I was fortunately able to expose myself to Sonic SatAM after its run. (It's a damn good show!) His Sonic I think had the best character and really did well to embody the Sonic of that time.

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
They should of used Jaleel White as the voice of classic Sonic for Generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom