• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sonic: Is it too late to improve?

Dan

Yes. They've tried nearly everything now. I'm sorry, but Sonic just isn't what it once was. Hell even what it once was a brief period with little competition. For it be a juggernaut again is near impossible considering that platform games aren't exactly hot in the mainstream gaming scene.

Not true, they haven't made him a Vamphog yet, if you're going to go werewolf you got to at least try vampire too.

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
Not if they never learn...
Weeeeeeee

Even without regarding Rise of Lyric, the Sonic Boom name is still heavily tarnished. Shattered Crystal was underwhelming to say the least, and yet they seem to think highly gimmicky gameplay is the answer to fix it.
Go home Sega... Go home....

RIP, Sonic, 1991-2015, Died from running too fast for his fans to keep up.

Basically, Sonic is long gone. Sega is going to pretty much die off. The only way Sonic could be revived was if Sega surrendered themselves to some better company, like their rival Nintendo.

Sega should give Sonic a rest for awhile. I like his games but I think Sonic team should have stick to a certain formula like Unleashed/Generations game-play because that was good.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
At least they are gonna use more characters, the problem Sonic has is that it lost so many things that made it great but didn't get anything back, I watched a Pro Jared video about Sonic Adventure 2 Battle recently, and he talked about how we only remember the good parts of it but it was actually really bad as well. However the fact remains there was tons to love in SA2B, high speed, very little bull**** in Sonic and Shadow stages, they never asked you to slow down and jump on platforms, it was about keeping the momentum. It had chao garden, tons of playable characters, 3D stages, multiplayer, and at some point they just decided to toss all that out the window and go with new **** that has not worked out, there is no more 3D stages, every time you think you're playing a 3D stage in a Sonic game it flips to 2D for more than half of the duration, which slows you down and makes the 2D last even longer, they almost never use the other characters as playable characters, when they do it's usually just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and if we're lucky Amy or Shadow and someone else.

The Chao Garden has never made a true comeback, and the best we got was Sonic Chronicles with Chao as equip items. Speaking of which that was the last Sonic game that didn't make me question why I am still into this game series. Multiplayer hasn't been a thing since 06 when they allowed you to play as a total of 3 characters who were very much on different levels of viability. Most of all though, every single Sonic game that comes out seems to test patience, literally, like it has you actually waiting for stuff. I remember Sonic Colors had a stage on a planet with tons of grass, started out super fun, then all of the sudden you come across a bunch of metal where Eggman is building and it's just a bunch of 2D platform jumping, get on a platform, wait for it to move to the spot you are going to, jump on more platforms to make your way up. It's not to late to improve, it's not hard to even make a good Sonic game, the problem is the people who make the games don't know what made them great.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Normally I'd say no. Since if Sega could learn from their mistakes and either deliver a brilliant new 2D sonic game or figure out a realm of 3D that truely works for the Blue blur. I'd think they have a chance if they take their time with him and not have to go so fast with development.

Now considering Sega decided to bring a sequel to Sonic Boom. Specifically the 3ds version of Sonic Boom which I heard wasn't horriable just mediocre with some back tracking. I say they can't completely learn since they apparently think of one idea and stick with it.

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly I think it has gotten to the point where I wish they would retire the character and just stop with Sonic. They have been everywhere, from werehog to knights of the round table, there is just not a while lot left for the series. I'd rather Sonic not turn into the game equivalent of Simpson's where it becomes terrible and then remains terrible for so long that the crappy entries outnumber the good entries in the series.

And it is not like Sega does not have anything else to make into a major title. I would love to see Kid Chameleon or Altered Beast again.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Sonic already established itself as an icon. He doesn't really need to try anymore. He can get away with releasing 2 average games, 2 bad games and 1 good one.

Honestly, Sonic lacked direction to begin with because it was never about the gameplay. Sonic was slower than Mario in the NES/SNES days, so it wasn't about speed. It was about having a rebellious cool image. Sonic still retains that image but never found a good gameplay mechanic for 3D gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom