• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Son is Going to Be Toon Link for Halloween... HELP!

I need some tips.. and ideas from people who have made Link costumes before... Keep in mind this is a Halloween costume and not a Cosplay .... so it doesn't need to be perfect.. BUT I do tend to try to go for as nice as I can get for the money.

I was thinking of making the Wind Waker shield from foam board and metallic tape. Likewise with the first sword you get in that game.

If the boy was born Blonde (his mom is Asian so that wasn't gonna happen LOL) he would pretty much be toon Link already....
conorlink.jpg

Last edited:

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I've never done a Link costume, but from what I've seen, they are expensive as crap. As most other cosplay type costumes (excluding those that are in regular costume shops, such as the Mario costumes and Power Rangers, etc.).
But, what I do, is I actually do my own cosplay costumes (I'm doing Zelda from SS this Halloween). I would suggest to get the hardest part (the hat) from an online store (I think Amazon has one). Otherwise, Link is a pretty simple outfit. The undershirt will be very easy to find, just a long-sleeved shirt in that color, and I bet you can find the tunic pretty easily. What I do is, if I can find the right style/cut, but not in the right color, I get fabric dye, and buy one in a very light color. For toon Link, you'll need brown boots (or boot covers) and white pants. The belt can be made out of a basic belt, and then create the buckle, and you can just glue that onto the belt.
Another helpful part is, if you know how to sew, you can make a lot of this by going to a fabric store. I don't sew very well, so I limit that to accessories (like Zelda's shawl, for the one I'm doing; for toon Link, I don't see anything that should be too hard to find without sewing). Any designs can easily be painted on with fabric paint. And it seems like you got the equipment covered. Are you going to do the pointed ears, as well?
Hopefully I've helped, at least some. I have to say, it's good that you're planning this so early- it will give you time to find the right stuff and adjust as needed. And fortunately, for a lot of cosplays, if done right, the clothes can be reworn elsewhere, so you're not 'wasting' money for one night. Just let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll try to help! :)

I was Toon Link for Halloween a few years ago, so I may be able to help you. My mom made most of the costume, so I can't remember fully, but I'll try. She made the hat from some sort of fabric; that part I don't remember well. For the tunic I wore one of my dad's green v-neck shirts that was too long for me with a lighter green long-sleeve shirt under it. Then for the pants I simply wore tan pants. I didn't worry about the boots because I didn't have any that fit (and they would've been uncomfortable to walk around in for an hour anyways). I already had a foam sword in my closet that I carried around, and didn't bother with the shield because I had to carry my candy bag. One thing that could be interesting, however, would be making a shield and gluing/taping/somehow attaching it to the front of his candy bag. It would kill 2 birds with one stone and look pretty cool (three birds with one stone I suppose:P).

That's about all the insight I can give without asking my mom. I hope you make it work.^^

This is what we have so far.. the Sword is chopped up from a cheap foam sword I found I shortened and shaped it to match better... the shield was made from layers of foam board paint and foil tape (Yeah I know its not game accurate, he and I came up with our own design)... the Hat and Tunic are not finished yet they need some sewing still... the under shirt and pants are stand ins until I can find the right colored ones.. the boots are final.

What do you guys think

conorlink.jpg

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
It looks good! Really good actually. I know you said it wasn't cosplay and it didn't need to be perfect... but that shield is a little too big... XD

Anyway, I bet you could just go out and buy a light green long-sleeve shirt and work form there. Do you have any long-johns (long underwear)? That's what I used for the pants when I was Link. ^^ Either that, or get white tights or a white leotard.

That's all i got.

The pants look like Skyward Sword Link's xD But the whole costume really looks great, that takes work I bet, but it shows! I love your shield design too ;)

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Oh, wow. The only thing that's not 'right' is the undershirt and the pants, but other than that, it's really good. Since it's not supposed to be a cosplay, just a costume, it worked out really well. It's obvious you put a lot of effort into it; the shield looks really nice. Great job! :zelda:

Believe it or not I am having a REALLY difficult time finding the undershirt.. He may end up just using the white one he has in that picture... At least adult ocarina link wears a white undershirt.

The Shield was pretty difficult to get right.. first we had to give up having it curved... then we decided instead of worrying about accuracy on the front we would just make our own design because, why not? The size was difficult to get Toon link is obviously shorter than my son so I tried to make the shield a little bigger to compensate for my sons height.. My son is 9 isn't wind waker link older? he looks so so small.

Finished it... after the picture was taken he spent some time running around outside and the house jumping around in costume... it was pretty funny.

conor_with_link_by_irishmile-d4ctqna.jpg

Really came out great, for many people IMO it's hard to pull off Link (making a homemade costume) without looking stupid, but the costume you made looks like it may as well have all come together professionally done! Nice work!

It looks great! He looks just like Toon Link, minus the hair!

That looks real nice! If that kid came to my house, I'd give him the whole bag of candy.

Really came out great, for many people IMO it's hard to pull off Link (making a homemade costume) without looking stupid, but the costume you made looks like it may as well have all come together professionally done! Nice work!
Yeah... the hair... He tried so hard to convince his mother to let him dye his hair blonde...
Thank you for the kind words.. we put a lot of effort into it.. I think we did pretty good for a 9 year old and a father who had to learn how to sew..

Last edited:
He looks fantastic! around my parts hardly anybody dresses up in Zelda costumes for Halloween... they are to busy dressing up in Spongebob costumes and any other show they watched on Television. That kid deserves a whole pool of candy! XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom