• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Something Thats Been Bugging Me...

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
Okay, how come a slim chance and a fat chance mean the same thing, but a wise man and a wise guy are two totally different things? I heard this on the radio and I can't get the damn question outta my head! :lol: So what do you think?

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Well, wise guy means, like, smart-@$$, and a wise man is very smart. That's why they're different.

As for the slim and fat chance, they're the same because they're both horizontally challenged, one's too thin and one's too thick! :lol:

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
Well, wise guy means, like, smart-@$$, and a wise man is very smart. That's why they're different.

As for the slim and fat chance, they're the same because they're both horizontally challenged, one's too thin and one's too thick! :lol:

I know the definition of wise man and wise guy, I meant how come wise is used differently in each term, when wise has one definition which is typicaly explained as smart. And, guy and man usually implies the person is a male, so guy and man have the same deffinition, and you can be very old and people will still call you a guy. So the two having a different definition when combined with the same word doesn't make sense to me :P.

I always saw fat chance as sarcasm. Like fat chance would mean a big chance, but its been used in that other context that its never seen as a big chance.
And wise guy would be a guy whose "wise", in this case haveing a witty mind. Or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom