• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS Something About That Moon...

I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something about the moon in the new 3D remake that I just don't like. Somehow it seems silly or childish, but it just doesn't seem to have the same impact (I'd say "pun not intended", who am I kidding, pun totally intended). What do you guys think? Does it look better or worse, or do you feel it's effect is about the same?

Well I think another thing is that the original moon has an equal distribution of teeth. You can see the ones on the top just as much as the ones on the bottom. This new one, it looks like the top teeth are much more prominent. For some reason this makes it look silly.

I agree. The revamped graphics have softer-edged polygons which makes it seem kind of rounder looking. That, and the nose is bigger, which is somewhat distracting, and the quality of it just flat out makes it look less creepy.

I noticed too though that even Majora's Mask doesn't look as menacing. It too looks rounder, more "child-friendly".

It seems like they're trying to make this a more accessible version overall, with these I expect there will be more of a change than what we saw with OoT 3D.

Beeker

Wild Card
I think it looks so different because a lot of features are so much bigger. The mouth, the nose, the area around the eyes, for example. A part of me kind of likes the new look... it's got a more menacing expression to it than the original. In this setting, I think that could help a lot.

I can't help but think the opposite. it doesn't look menacing to me, it looks doofy. But then, I don't plan on getting it again so I don't really have to care in the end. I didn't bother with OoT3D either. The little changes would drive me crazy.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The moon's nose is like a stereotypical black guy's nose, making it look comical as heck.
3ds_zeldamajoras-mask_1107_10__large.jpg

Djinn

and Tonic
To me it looks like the features are a bit more exaggerated. Much larger eyes with more angry skin around them, longer nose, much wider grin. Like the art department just decided to dial everything up some from the original design.

I think I finally realized what it is I don't like: In the 64 version, the moon was shaped like a moon, large and round, and had the face kinda stamped on. There were minimal facial features and contours, lending it the appearance that the face had been applied more like graffiti instead of an inherent feature of the moon. This in turn gave the impression that Skull Kid Majora was essentially trolling everyone, a move that is full of both trickery and malice. Paint a face on the moon to mess with everyone and then destroy the ever-loving S*** out of them with it. But this new moon looks more bulgy and natural, like it is and always was an actual head with features like cheeks and eyebrows and such, and not an actual moon.

The newer version looks much creepier, altough not as creepy as the new version getting a faceswap with the mcdonalds happy meal faces

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom