• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Some Nintendo News

I feel like it's been awhile since I've pushed some concrete news regarding my favorite video game producer, Nintendo. The company reported that the Nintendo DS has sold 151.06 million units whereas the Wii 94.97 million units. And while both those older systems are struggling, the 3DS is pulling through nicely hitting the 15 million unit milestone. Nintendo also reaffirmed that Hulu Plus is still on track for the 3DS. Wii U news being rather tight lipped as of late, Nintendo Executive Producer and President, Satoru Iwata, confirmed that the system will launch close to the Christmas period. Famed Street Fighter producer, Yoshinori Ono, reports that the Wii U has received quite a bit more hardware updates since we last saw it at E3 2011 and most recently (the same E3 build) at CES 2012. All this also comes on the news that Nintendo may be renaming the Wii U to avoid consumer confusion. The Wii U controller also nw boasts NFC or Near Field Communication Technology. Satoru Iwata maintained, "By installing this functionality, it will become possible to create cards and figurines that can electronically read and write data via noncontact NFC and to expand the new play format in the video game world. Adoption of this functionality will enable various other possibilities such as using it as a means of making micropayments."

This time I also tried something different with my sources linking them in the body of the text. :)

Last edited:

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Yeah renaming the WiiU should be something they should really consider. I mean that name doesn't really sound right rolling off the tongue like it did when the Wii first came out. That was genious, but now they need something new, not just something to add to it.

Personally I don't like the name Wii U. It wouldn't stop me from buying the product but... its just... boring. Like PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSV, PS... YAAAAWN can I go home now? Boring.
They should give it a proper new name like they have since the 64. And anyway the names have changed since 64 anyway:
Ultra 64- Nintendo 64
Dolphin- GameCube
Revolution- Wii

and you could even go as far as to say that they changed NES and SNES from their Japanese names, Famicom and Super Famicom.

And also yes, the name will cause the same confusion that the 3DS caused with people saying "A 3DS is just a 3D DS">"A Wii U is just a Wii with a tablet" ITS NEW.

Rant over :)

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Yes! Yes yes yes! They are renaming the Wii U! It's about time! That was the worst name I've ever heard for a system! And the NFC thing sounds pretty cool.

I hope they rename it too... alot of Non-Gamer friends who heard about Wii U think its a controller they will be able to buy for their Wii... renaming the system may make the distinction a little more clear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom