• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So...Why Are The PS4 And Xbox One Doing Very Well?

When it comes to the console wars, numbers don't lie and the PS4 and Xbox One's record breaking preorders coupled with an impressive first few weeks after debut have made for some astounding firgures. According to data released today, the PS4 has sold 2.1 million units worldwide already.

I was a bit skeptical about how these consoles would fare in their early years, yet this doubt has largely dissipated. After very slow starts last generation, both Microsoft and Sony have established a great pace for next gen sales. But why is this and why are these consoles doing very well, at least for now, when the the Wii U is plummeting? Does the long wait between generations have something to with this impressive start or perhaps that the ad focus has been on creating experiences for the gamers? Or maybe gaming is less important and what people really want is an all-in-one machine.

Share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Clank

Hmm
Maybe because the hardware actually has features(such as home theater capabilities, HDMI pass-through, easy sharing of footage, etc), integration into popular services(eg potential for 4k through video streaming, twitch integration, facebook integration(to an extent), Skype, etc...), potential for high quality games, and isn't solely surviving on first party titles.

Maybe because the hardware actually has features(such as home theater capabilities, HDMI pass-through, easy sharing of footage, etc), integration into popular services(eg potential for 4k through video streaming, twitch integration, facebook integration(to an extent), Skype, etc...), potential for high quality games, and isn't solely surviving on first party titles.

Yeah, I think this is definitely one of the most important factors, Plus, Microsoft and Sony have proven themselves very reliable in offering continued support for their systems. I never doubted the PS3 would last this long, but to this day, I'm still surprised at how diligently Microsoft backed the 360. I expected its successor to be announced at E3 2010, then 2011 and 2012, yet it wasn't until this year that the curtains were finally pulled on the Xbox One. Nintendo has a bad habit of abandoning its current hardware after the next generation begins. There was no need to artificially kill the Wii by derpiving its userbase of software for the majority of 2011 and 2012.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Sony's taking the hardcore gamers like before. MS is taking the hardcores loyal to them and the casuals that Nintendo abandoned.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
No one was aware of the WII U before it came out. It was like oh we'll be releasing a new console soon.... 4 months later, wait that came out?
The fact the very first WII U commercials I've seen have just been in the past few weeks.

Simply the WII U was a marketing failure and a half. No advertisements, no hyping, no major leap, they didn't do alot of work making us want it, and the ps4/xbox 1 weren't too far away either and we knew to expect them, even worse the majority of consumers (aka not us, the people who keep track of these things) believed and still do believe that WII U isn't a new console and rather just an accessory.

Combined with early sales being so bad, 3rd parties droping support left and right, and nintendo's own games being pushed further and further back with promises of coming soon.
In all honesty, they released the console an entire year too early, before they were ready, before the consumers were ready, before the developers were ready.

All around there isn't alot that they did right.

DarkestLink

Never understood why people say there were no Wii U advertisements...I've seen plenty. Easily as often as the Xbox One advertisements and way more than the PS4 advertisements (I don't think I've seen a single one yet...).

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's simply down to the hardware capabilities. People see the power and automatically think that console is great. However, hardware power does obviously count towards making the console a lot better: faster loading times, higher frame rates, more efficency, higher resolution, better groundwork for developers etc. Although there are a number of advantages I still don't believe pure hardware power is everything as proved with the mediocre titles on both consoles thus far. I would rather have a great and well made game on a less powerful console than an average game on a console which is more powerful spec-wise.

I do believe that people sometimes overlook this factor and Sony and Microsoft have constantly flaunted their hardware capabilities and it's obviously worked. Another thing would also be the software and other non game related things that both consoles have. This is more so specific to the Xbox One. I think a lot of people see it as more than a game system and therefore it becomes more desirable.

To be honest I'm kind of surprised by the high sales so far. Especially when you consider that the current line up of games are very poor. I'm usually one to wait until the console has at least got itself going, but I just guess some bought into the hype and just had to have one.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Never understood why people say there were no Wii U advertisements...I've seen plenty. Easily as often as the Xbox One advertisements and way more than the PS4 advertisements (I don't think I've seen a single one yet...).
Because there wasn't. There have been advertisements for the WII U only very recently. You can't count gaming and electronic related places.

Compared to the WII, there was a crap load of advertisement and on regular TV, places where most people would see them.

The PS4 has had Greatness Awaits campaign.
XBOX 1 has had a few ads, but far fewer, although the xbox 360 dash board has been advertising the xbox 1, and there have been TV ads.

Both the ps4 and xbox 1 made big press events for their console release, as well as been keeping on top if it.

You have to look at the larger picture, are the ads where they need to be? Sure nintendo direct can advertise all they want, but who is that reaching? It sure isn 't reaching the casual audience, sure it isn't reaching out to new customers, its not reacing out to parents and grandparents would be buying this console as a gift.

Plus the wii already engraved itself a softer image last generation, when they said they wanted to bring back the hardcore, and then unveil a system that the hardcore can already see as underpowered, no head phone jack on the wii u pro controller, hard core gamers see this are like, no thank you, and will instead stick to a company that they know will offer what they are seeking.

It goes beyond just the failure of marketing, they made alot of bad choices, that really leaving one scratching their heads.

One reason: Sony and Microsoft actually give far better advertising for their next-gen consoles while Nintendo gives no advertising for the Wii U whatsoever. As much as I'm still loyal to Nintendo, that was a very stupid move.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't see why not. This past generation saw an increase in the gaming community because of games like Call of Duty. Now days, there are people who would just buy a console so long they can shoot some bad guys every year. It's no surprise really, considering it was a long generation. To put it simply, more people play games today than they have ever before and honestly, I think Call of Duty's influence deserves some credit here.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The PS4 and XB1 are succeeding because they have been advertised. Nothing short of that.

Before you shout "oh I have never ever seen an xbox one ad!!!" I want you to go on your Xbox 360 and look at the Dashboard. Yeah.
The PS4 has been advertised on the XMB as well.

The Wii U, however, has had next to nothing until very recently.

DarkestLink

@The Jade Fist

I disagree, I've seen Wii U commercials for months now...just not much on Wii U games until recently, although the NSMBU commercial seemed to go on forever.

@justac00lguy

I don't think power is what's drawing people in...historically, the stronger console generally doesn't do that well compared to its competition. N64, Gamecube, PS3, SEGA's old consoles...

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
When it comes to the console wars, numbers don't lie and the PS4 and Xbox One's record breaking preorders coupled with an impressive first few weeks after debut have made for some astounding firgures. According to data released today, the PS4 has sold 2.1 million units worldwide already.

I was a bit skeptical about how these consoles would fare in their early years, yet this doubt has largely dissipated. After very slow starts last generation, both Microsoft and Sony have established a great pace for next gen sales. But why is this and why are these consoles doing very well, at least for now, when the the Wii U is plummeting? Does the long wait between generations have something to with this impressive start or perhaps that the ad focus has been on creating experiences for the gamers? Or maybe gaming is less important and what people really want is an all-in-one machine.

Share your thoughts below.

Oh my God, this is my thread...

First of all, the Wii U is under-powered compared to the greatness of the PS4 and the horrible Xbone (glitchbox, sh*tbox, whatever you want to call it). Why would people want to buy a system that's last Gen when we've already entered next Gen.

Second of all, NO FREAKIN' GAMES. At least PS4 and Xbone have had a pretty good, decent lineup of games compared to what the Wii U had at launch. Okay, I know the Wii U has its new games coming next year, but that's next year not this year.

Third of all, no one cares about Nintendo anymore. It's laughably sad, really. Plus, the Wii U is a gimmick. Freakin' Fisher Price tablet. Why not just give us a regular controller LIKE EVERY NORMAL GAMING COMPANY? (Don't get me wrong, I love the gamepad but really, WHY?).

NO GAMES PEOPLE! YES! I'M REPEATING MYSELF!

Okay I'm done. You Nintendrones out there can flame all you want, but there's no point in arguing over the obvious problem the Wii Underpowered has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom