• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds So Who Exactly Is/was Yuga?

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Happy New year to all of you.

I really enjoyed reading some theories the last Fifty Minutes here at Zelda Dungeon. I finished A Link Between Worlds a few hours ago for the first time. I really love the game. The Dungeon Design is the best in recent years. I never enjoyed the dungeons in a Zelda Games as much as I did in A Link Between Worlds. The game was heavily focused on the Dungeons and I liked all of them. There wasn't any annoying filling material in A Link Between Worlds (took me 19 hours to complete almost everything). Oh yeah, there is some critic. I finished the game without beeing knocked out. Not even once. I have to admit, I'm not the most skilled Zelda gamer. So when there is a zero in my stats, it was maybe a comfortable ride (mostly thanks to the Tunics and Sword Upgrades). And some critic for the Boomerang. Was the Boomerang ever that useless in a Zelda Game? So, yeah, I really enjoyed the game, loved every single minute I've spend in that game. Still, A Link to the Past was a somehting more special experience for me. Maybe because it's difficult was higher, maybe nostalgica or maybe there is something more mystic about A Link to the Past.

SPOILER

Not let's get back to my concern. Who actually was Yuga? What happened to him? Spirited away? He did not die. Was he just a mad sorcerer? Does he belong to a cult (or is it possible he is the sorcerer from the Zelda I backstory in The Adventure of Link)? Is he working for an organisation? I highly doubt he acted completely alone. I know even Zelda Dungeon may be not able to answer these questions, but there is so little backstory about Yuga. I've searched through the Forum and the Wiki, but it seems like, no one is really asking questions about this guy (you may link me to Yuga Threads ;D). But there have to be something I missed.

And one more question. It's not easy to find out judging by the more cute character models, but how old are Ravio and Hilda? They're clearly older compared to Link and Zelda. Or am I wrong here? This is a question I just ask for personal interest.

Well this should cover up most of my concerns ;D

Last edited:
Yuga is to Hilda what Impa is to Zelda. He is a servant and protector of the Royal Family of Lorule. Hilda mentions this in the final cutscene before sending Link and Zelda through the crack in the wall to Hyrule's Sacred Realm.

After he visited Hyrule, however, and saw the power of the Triforce, he corrupted himself by seeking to promote his own selfish aims of painting Lorule in his image.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Yuga is to Hilda what Impa is to Zelda. He is a servant and protector of the Royal Family of Lorule. Hilda mentions this in the final cutscene before sending Link and Zelda through the crack in the wall to Hyrule's Sacred Realm.

After he visited Hyrule, however, and saw the power of the Triforce, he corrupted himself by seeking to promote his own selfish aims of painting Lorule in his image.

Yep, this is an crystal clear explanation :D Thanks for this one Link.

At the end, I was confused about the relationship between Yuga and Hilda. But, for me, it looked more like Hilda was in a desperate search for someone who might help the kingdom, and she found the evil sorcerer. Impa is a loyal servant of the Royal Family for Generations.
Yuga is a shady person. Yes, he may tricked Hilda and served her some time, but I don't think he belonged to the Royal Family of Lorule (to the staff, in duty of the Royal Family of Lorule).
I really was surprised when Hilda controlled Yuga in the final battle (as we know, he planned it all along and was controlled by no one).

I think there is still a big mystery about Yuga, besides the facts A Link Between Worlds is delivering. I really miss a proper backstory. For me, he is the most mysterious villain of the Zelda Franchise.

Last edited:
F

FunkyTroubadour

Hey, new here. :-)

Does Yuga remind anyone else of OOT's Ganondorf? Could he be Lorule's equivalent?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

This is incorrect; Yuga states that he knew there was an otherworldly power - the counterpart of Lorule's Triforce - behind that crack. So he was "evil" before he entered Hyrule..

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I agree with Ventus. I think Yuga was already evil and sneaked his way in to gain the trust of Princess Hilda and to start his evil plans. He acted like he was faithful and loyal. He played the act with her all along. I don't believe he changed in a split second. He used Hilda to set his plans in motion.

Sorry JJ I like Yuga way more than Debbie. I couldn't resist :P

I find it strange to assume that Yuga is the Lorule equivalent of Impa. Rather, I believe that Yuga is the Lorule equivalent of Ganondorf. Ganondorf is known for abducting/controlling Zelda in one way or another in order to fulfill his own desires. In Lorule, Yuga is unknowingly being manipulated by Hilda in order to fulfill her desires. Also, Ganondorf is a very masculine figure that is interested in destruction (think of the dark and destroyed Hyrule in OoT), and Yuga, while still apparently male, is much more effeminate and interested in beauty.

Similarly, as Hilda was drawn to Zelda for her Wisdom and Ravio drawn to Link for his Courage, Yuga was drawn to Ganon for his power.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I viewed Yuga as Lorule's own Ganon. While we've seen Zelda distrust Ganon, Hilda was more desperate and didn't see Yuga's shady side

I thought he was a servant of Ganon somewhat like Zant was, but less controlled. I feel as he had one set objective and then let power go to his head and wanted to impress Hilda at one point. That's just my two cents.

Just because Lorule runs parallel to hyrule doesn't mean Yuga has to be any ones counter part, the fact that the histories of Hyrule and Lorule are different means that an enumerable number of variables could have happened from the beginning of the parallel world in which Lorule exists to the point at which it was bridged to the world in wich Hyrule exists, parallel doesn't mean that things will be mirrored equally, parallel worlds can be the exact same or completely different, it all depends on what variables fall into place and how their effects go.

Yuga could be anyone's counterpart or no ones counterpat at this time it's anyone's guess.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I thought Ravio and Hilda were around or at the same age as Link and Zelda. Early/mid teens.

Yuga was an evil sorcerer who earned the trust of the Lorule royal family, by whatever means it may be, only to stab them in the back later. I think I remember Hilda coming to her senses and telling him to give the triforce of power back, and he refused. I doubt he was Lorule's Impa. Nobody has mentioned Demise's curse yet, so I will, it pretty much sets the stage for all villains after SS if you want to look at it that way. Yuga, Ganon(dorf), Vaati etc, are all incarnations of Demise's hatred.

I wonder about Yuga's magic. Turning into a painting/turning others into paintings isn't exactly a very common type of magic, where did it come from? Is Demise getting creative?

Don't forget, in Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf serves the royal family as well. I think Yuga more closely associated with Ganondorf than he is Impa. He even looks just like Ganondorf.

Yep, this is an crystal clear explanation :D Thanks for this one Link.

At the end, I was confused about the relationship between Yuga and Hilda. But, for me, it looked more like Hilda was in a desperate search for someone who might help the kingdom, and she found the evil sorcerer. Impa is a loyal servant of the Royal Family for Generations.
Yuga is a shady person. Yes, he may tricked Hilda and served her some time, but I don't think he belonged to the Royal Family of Lorule (to the staff, in duty of the Royal Family of Lorule).
I really was surprised when Hilda controlled Yuga in the final battle (as we know, he planned it all along and was controlled by no one).

I think there is still a big mystery about Yuga, besides the facts A Link Between Worlds is delivering. I really miss a proper backstory. For me, he is the most mysterious villain of the Zelda Franchise.

I find it strange to assume that Yuga is the Lorule equivalent of Impa. Rather, I believe that Yuga is the Lorule equivalent of Ganondorf. Ganondorf is known for abducting/controlling Zelda in one way or another in order to fulfill his own desires. In Lorule, Yuga is unknowingly being manipulated by Hilda in order to fulfill her desires. Also, Ganondorf is a very masculine figure that is interested in destruction (think of the dark and destroyed Hyrule in OoT), and Yuga, while still apparently male, is much more effeminate and interested in beauty.

Similarly, as Hilda was drawn to Zelda for her Wisdom and Ravio drawn to Link for his Courage, Yuga was drawn to Ganon for his power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom