• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So, what exactly do you mean by Link's "reincarnation?"

So I always knew Link has been reincarnated most games, but by reincarnated, what exactly does that mean? Reincarnated as every Link is actually the spirit of SS Link, or any previous Link for that matter, or Reincarnated as every Link is like an embodiment of the SS Link, and is not the spirit of any previous Link or isnt related to them in any way? I have always wondered about this

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Each link embodies the Hero's Spirit which is unmalleable by all accounts so it remains pure and all that stuff. Link doesn't have real reincarnation cuz he doesn't know about his past selves except as legends or myths or similar.

Each link embodies the Hero's Spirit which is unmalleable by all accounts so it remains pure and all that stuff. Link doesn't have real reincarnation cuz he doesn't know about his past selves except as legends or myths or similar.

So, you are saying that the Link's ARENT related, and they are all their own people and spirits, but are basically the embodiment of a previous Link?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So, you are saying that the Link's ARENT related, and they are all their own people and spirits, but are basically the embodiment of a previous Link?

A few links are related such as OOT-TP and MM Link being OOT Link. But aside from that no links between each Link.

But for Link to be "reincarnated," does that mean that whenever a Link is born they are blessed by the Goddesses and intended by them as a reincarnation?

This reincarnation stuff is confusing af lmao

But for Link to be "reincarnated," does that mean that whenever a Link is born they are blessed by the Goddesses and intended by them as a reincarnation?

This reincarnation stuff is confusing af lmao
It's not confusing actually lol

And yeah, if someone suitable to be a link is born, The heroes spirit is transferred to them basically

So like the heroe's spirit like POSSESES them or like the spirit is with throuought their journey?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So like the heroe's spirit like POSSESES them or like the spirit is with throuought their journey?

The spirit is born anew within different people. It is kind of what drives them. So the values each hero will hold such as that of courage will be the same. The mind of the past heros are not transferred so each hero will be a different person yet have the same core values.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I don't think the Spirit of the Hero is supposed to be literal. There's proof that it isn't literal in like two Zelda games. That being TP (Hero's Shade) and ALBW (Gramps AKA Old Man ALttP Link). Why people keep believing that the Hero's Spirit is a literal thing, I don't know.

Reactions: Aku

Aku

I don't think the Spirit of the Hero is supposed to be literal. There's proof that it isn't literal in like two Zelda games. That being TP (Hero's Shade) and ALBW (Gramps AKA Old Man ALttP Link). Why people keep believing that the Hero's Spirit is a literal thing, I don't know.
Yeah, that's what I'm feeling too. It sounds anti-heroic having someone literally possessed by a spirit, while re-incarnation sounds like the person doesn't really get a choice to be 'heroic' but is literally 'programmed' by the residue of all of his previous incarnations' actions.

I'd rather each Link be his own person, rather then be a derivative of himself each time. It sounds more heroic too when he chooses to be a hero, rather then have it forcibly placed on him by 'fate.'

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Yeah, that's what I'm feeling too. It sounds anti-heroic having someone literally possessed by a spirit, while re-incarnation sounds like the person doesn't really get a choice to be 'heroic' but is literally 'programmed' by the residue of all of his previous incarnations' actions.

I'd rather each Link be his own person, rather then be a derivative of himself each time. It sounds more heroic too when he chooses to be a hero, rather then have it forcibly placed on him by 'fate.'

Yes! Agreed! I like your idea! I think the only two Links that usually reincarnate are usually the Hero of Time and the Hero of Legend! Like for example, the Hero of Legend from TP could be a reincarnation of the Hero of Legend from SS. And the Hero of Time from OoT could be a reincarnation of a certain Hero of Time from the past (not SS Link). While most other Links (like MC Link, FSA Link, TLoZ/TAoL Link, and etc) are usually descendants or ancestors of those two main focus heroes. And other heroes like the Hero of Winds from WW are spiritual legacies or spiritual successors to past Links.

So in a way, even WW kinda proves that the whole Spirit of the Hero was not meant to be taken literally, since it is confirmed that WW Link has no blood relation to the Hero of Time or even a literal spirit relation to him either. He's his own person and hero. That said, if the Spirit of the Hero belief was taken in the literal sense, then there would never be a Hero of Winds to stop Ganon in the Adult Timeline.

That's why I believe that "bearing the Spirit of the Hero" just simply means to have the same or similar form of courage, elements, will power, and any other traits as the first hero (Hylia's Hero).

If the Hero's Spirit just possesses anyone to become the hero, why are they all identical? Couldn't there be a new hero? Like a Goron, or a woman, or anything different than what we always get?

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Like a Goron, or a woman, or anything different than what we always get?

I've said this before that I would love a female Link. I think if done right it would make a very excellent story. Or, heck yes! Maybe a character creator at the start of the game where you could choose your race and gender. But perhaps that would make it a little too much like Skyrim.

I've never thought of the spirit of the hero as a literal thing, and that the reincarnation is more like generations of heroes (not necessarily related by blood) possessing similar qualities, falling into similar circumstances, and accomplishing their goals in similar ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom