• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild So...what do you think so far?

It's a bit meandering but I ****ing love the combat. There are a few complaints about the controls but that's more the controller than the game, for instance I don't like how reaching up to hit the - button, the left thumbstick is in the way a bit.

Yeah, running and jumping buttons should have been diagonal from each other, just like in Mario games. Whenever I want to charge an enemy and lead in with a jump attack, it feels so unnatural to leap to the top or bottom of the controller just to jump. I played all day yesterday and I'm still not used to it.
Though, one thing I noticed is that there's a delay on the run and jump. So if you're trying to do a running jump if you take your finger off the run button to hit the jump button, it will still register it as a running jump.

Want to try taming a horse, but man, those buggers run before I have a chance to sneak close enough to do anything.
Are you crouching? Also, pay attention to that little purple wavey line thing. That's the indicator of how much noise you're making. Also, if you're still having trouble, try de-equipping some of your noisy gear like weapons and shields, they make additional noise as you move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheik

:the:
I got the game yesterday and played for like eight hours. Time really flies when you're playing BoTW. It's so great.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Are you crouching? Also, pay attention to that little purple wavey line thing. That's the indicator of how much noise you're making. Also, if you're still having trouble, try de-equipping some of your noisy gear like weapons and shields, they make additional noise as you move.

Managed to catch one today, in between my gamepad losing connection to the console (going out to buy a pro controller tomorrow). I was crouching yesterday as well, but I guess the noise was what did it, I dunno.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The controls aren't really bothering or confusing me as much anymore. I have several gripes with the game, though a lot of it is stuff I can't really hold against the game. Mostly just preferences. However, I came across a shrine that was similar to rollgoal and well, f*ck that sh*t to death. Horrible controls.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The controls aren't really bothering or confusing me as much anymore. I have several gripes with the game, though a lot of it is stuff I can't really hold against the game. Mostly just preferences. However, I came across a shrine that was similar to rollgoal and well, f*ck that sh*t to death. Horrible controls.
You can cheese it by flipping the gamepad upside down.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Also kiddies remember that you make more noise with a sword, shield, and bow on your back. Remove it to go stealthn then drink a tonic to go full stealth.

only an hour to an hour and a half in, i like it but I'm not sure if i like the weapons breaking/inventory management. still too early to tell. fps drops when docked on switch suck tho

Very positive first impressions so far. I've played for around 10 hours now.

Pros:

- This is hands down the best iteration of Hyrule that has ever existed in a 3D space. Every other 3D game pales in comparison, and looks like a bunch of segmented rooms with a theme rather than a believable world. All of the complex terrain, locations, and names that BotW has makes it very much like Xenoblade Chronicles X in the way that you buy this is a single, coherent world with little limitations.

- The exploration aspect in the best its been since the original game, no joke. No other game in the series has combined this type of freedom with such a vast explorable space, and the terrible habit that 3D Zelda had fallen into of guiding the player every step of the way is gone in favor of just doing what you want when you want. Again, very XCX in the way that I feel like I can do what I want without restriction.

- The shrines are a great replacement for the relatively small amount of dungeons (although I haven't even gotten to a dungeon yet because I've been so distracted filling out the map). I've had about two so far that have been a little difficult to crack, but I'm already noticing that there isn't a set solution for a lot of them - you can think outside the box and find a solution that maybe wasn't the "developer's intention". It leads to a much more satisfying feeling of accomplishment.

- I'm liking the upgrade system for hearts and stamina a lot more so far. It encourages you to go out of you way to find shrines, and makes sure that you don't B-line towards the end of the game without thinking because you'll probably get annihilated without the proper upgrades.

- It's about time we had a difficult Zelda game, one where the difficulty came from the game itself and not the player handicapping themselves with inferior hearts or equipment. I've already gotten in over my head a few times, and I'm not quite good at the combat yet to make up for the strength difference between Link and the monsters. That's where the difficulty should come from - just not being good enough yet, not arbitrary restriction.

- Really happy that we have so many options for clothing, weapons, shields, and things like that. It really gives you a sense of both the magnitude of the game and the freedom of choice that you as the player have when it comes to getting ready for a certain situation.

- Cooking is a fantastic addition to the series. I'm having a blast seeing what combinations yield what results, and its been my main method of getting rupees so far. It adds another strategic layer of preparation that's going to vary depending on the situation, which again, adds to the complexity of the game and the freedom the player has.

- I'm so happy the "Zelda tradition" of pretending like voice acting isn't a thing in games has finally been done away with. It was about time Zelda joined the rest of the gaming industry in the 21st century instead of being perpetually stuck in 1998.

Cons:

- I'm having a bit of a difficult time getting used to the controls for the Switch, which may just be a consequence of the system being brand new. I find myself bringing up the rune menu when I want to change weapons, or getting the jump button mixed up with something else. The default button layout isn't very intuitive, but hopefully this will improve the more time I spend with it.

- Combat seems like a step behind TP, surprisingly. The depth seems to come from the preparation for combat, both from an equipment/food perspective and a physical one when it comes to how you'll literally approach the enemy. The actual combat itself seems like it doesn't give me as much control as TP did, and I feel more helpless as a result. Maybe this was intentional to put more emphasis on the weapons, but it's really weird that I like TP combat more so far.

- Story seems to be lack-luster and lacking depth. Although this is Zelda, so it's not like I was expecting much to begin with.

- Still not sold on this graphical style, and I don't think I ever will be. Hopefully the next Zelda exclusively for Switch ditches this shaded over detail-less style for something more complex and engaging. There are some great landscape visuals, but everything up close (including the characters/creatures) just looks kind of sterile and plastic to me.

This could very well be my favorite Zelda game, and I already believe it to be the best in the series since Majora's Mask. We'll see if it keeps it up.

Reactions: MW7
My impressions are extremely positive thus far.

I love simply exploring the world. Sometimes just putting down the controller and taking in the sights and sounds is amusing. Xenoblade Chronicles X felt like that was a bit too much meandering around the overworld, so I love that shrines give me a concrete objective to focus on. Dungeons have always been my favorite aspects of Zelda, so I love seeing these mini-dungeons scattered around the overworld. Assaulting moblin camps is amusing as well but not quite as fun. I've come up with a variety of strategies to gang up on unsuspecting foes, yet the payoff doesn't feel that good. I don't care too much for some amber or other gems. As far as side objectives are concerned, I simply enjoy strolling around and collecting as much food as I can so I can cook some new meals. It's addicting to not only find fresh fruit and mushrooms but to also sneak up and shoot unsuspecting animals.

I have a lot of the story still before me, but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. The cutscenes and voice acting are excellent. There's a real tension in the world as Link tries to defeat Calamity Ganon. A lot of plot twists are what I expected, but that doesn't make them bad. The production value is the highest I've ever seen from a Nintendo game, and it runs fine on Wii U. I've only encountered one frame rate stutter thus far, which is no big deal.

Aside from the aforementioned frame rate hiccup, my only real gripe with the game is having to climb resurrection towers to activate them. It's a nitpicky detail, but it feels like I'm wasting my time trying to scale them. It seems like a way to force more climbing into the game. Don't get me wrong, I love climbing, but this is taking one of the worst aspects from Ubisoft games.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
My impressions are extremely positive thus far.

I love simply exploring the world. Sometimes just putting down the controller and taking in the sights and sounds is amusing. Xenoblade Chronicles X felt like that was a bit too much meandering around the overworld, so I love that shrines give me a concrete objective to focus on. Dungeons have always been my favorite aspects of Zelda, so I love seeing these mini-dungeons scattered around the overworld. Assaulting moblin camps is amusing as well but not quite as fun. I've come up with a variety of strategies to gang up on unsuspecting foes, yet the payoff doesn't feel that good. I don't care too much for some amber or other gems. As far as side objectives are concerned, I simply enjoy strolling around and collecting as much food as I can so I can cook some new meals. It's addicting to not only find fresh fruit and mushrooms but to also sneak up and shoot unsuspecting animals.

I have a lot of the story still before me, but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. The cutscenes and voice acting are excellent. There's a real tension in the world as Link tries to defeat Calamity Ganon. A lot of plot twists are what I expected, but that doesn't make them bad. The production value is the highest I've ever seen from a Nintendo game, and it runs fine on Wii U. I've only encountered one frame rate stutter thus far, which is no big deal.

Aside from the aforementioned frame rate hiccup, my only real gripe with the game is having to climb resurrection towers to activate them. It's a nitpicky detail, but it feels like I'm wasting my time trying to scale them. It seems like a way to force more climbing into the game. Don't get me wrong, I love climbing, but this is taking one of the worst aspects from Ubisoft games.
I've gotten the occasional major frame rate drop from defeating I believe it was moblins but I can't recall. Had two times where the game froze for about 3 seconds.

I get frame drops constantly in all types of situations docked on Switch, including just running through grass. It's almost locked at 30 portably though, since it's running at a lower resolution.

Managed to catch one today, in between my gamepad losing connection to the console (going out to buy a pro controller tomorrow). I was crouching yesterday as well, but I guess the noise was what did it, I dunno.
Yeah, even crouching isn't enough. You still have to move slowly while doing it.

Oddest Glitch I've had so far? getting the Blood Moon cinematic in the middle of the day. Afterwards, reloading took so long I thought it had frozen. But it eventually came back.

I've had a few of these. Sometimes it really seems like the view angle is a lie, and what seems like a perfectly level surface is curved away from you a bit.

Theaterke

Is this just fantasy?
30 hours done so far and sometimes still struggling with the controls and indeed, the fact that wiiu doesn't use any integration of the game-pad is an absolute bummer. You'd have think they would especially after a couple of years ago we had that launch trailer that showed us all the options of what Nintendo could possibly achieve with using the game-pad.

Nevertheless I am so on love with the game. Yeaah the plot line ended in a little disappointing way, but I think that the actual open world game play makes up for that. There's just so much to explore and so many side quests to finish. I think this is what we all wanted out of a Zelda game. So for me still 10/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom