• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So What Are Your Initial Reactions Now?

Icetomeetyou

*brofist*
Eh.

*shurgs*

I'm sort of excited about it, seeing as it's brand new and we know almost nothing about it. But I'm also sort of annoyed because we have to wait for a game that might not even be as good as othes. The only reason I say that is because I personally don't like the graphics or controls. I'm just hoping all the glitches will be fixed once it actually comes out.

D

dsp2000

Like a lot of people, I was SURPRISED at the graphics. I was expecting another game that looked basically like Twilight Princess did (I LOVED how TP looked). But then I saw the Skyward Sword graphics and my mind immediately thought of "cartoon?" But after seeing some of the gameplay, it doesn't look that bad. It seens me back to the A Link to the Past days for some reason. I'll be even more excited if this is truly an "origin" type of game.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Actually, i was suprised and i don't know if that was in a positive or a negative way. I got mixed opinions about it when i first saw it.

The graphics with TP was indeed a huge hit, so i expected they would continue with the realistic style with this new title. Guess i was wrong.
I don't mind the cel-shaded style and i know that this game is all about the gameplay, but...

At least redesign link, is that so much trouble? To put TP link with a cell-shaded style isn't quite original enough for me.
If it was a direct sequel of TP, i would understand why they used the TP design again...but this is a prequel of OOT.
Thats the only dissapointment that i had when i saw the trailer.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
When I first saw SS unveiled at e3 I was so ready to slit some throats. The graphics completely caught me off guard, since I had assumed that they would continue with the Twilight Princess design. But after rewatching everything and learning that the individual demos had very smooth gameplay, I'm completely excited! :D The news that it won't be released until 2011 saddened me, but I'm still happy because that gives them more time to polish things up and complete the game. The graphics seem very old school to me and I love it. Although I'm not digging the giant mushrooms....that's a little too Mario-ish for a Zelda game, in my opinion.
And I saw something that completely amazed me: Link is wearing PANTS! Woah, where'd that come from?!

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I was surprised with the graphics because I didn't ever think I'd ever see Zelda in this gorgeous art style. Too many people complained about the tooniness of TWW, but aside from that, the COLORS and EXPRESSIONS were magnificent. Realistic graphics on Zelda.... yeah, the look pretty enough, but you can't really bring out the "Zeldaness" in a game with realistic styles, I don't think. Not saying TP's graphics weren't nice, I just didn't think they fit the series.

Anyway, I've been in love with Skyward Sword's art style since Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Stunning, vivid, expressive... the game's cutscenes were breathtaking, and they were improved in the sequel, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Ever since I played those games, I've been wanting Zelda to follow suit in art style, and I'm so shocked and excited that it's actually happening. It's nice to see the in-game style reflecting the actual style of the designs. Zelda has always been drawn anime-style, and this seems like a pleasant mixture of that style mixed with a little bit of western culture's style. The mixture has produced, in my opinion, the most stunning Zelda visuals I've ever seen. We saw the brightness during the day. We saw darker, mysterious purple hues in another scene. We saw lots of contrast in a lava-filled dungeon. This art style... my god, it's going to allow for so much. Not only that, but facial expressions on Link and other characters will be made much easier.

The controls.... eh, I'm still undecided on how I feel about that. There seemed to be a big delay. The was a bit of delay in TP, but the demo for Skyward Sword seemed to be very clunky despise them saying how much more fluid it'd be.... but then again, they aren't done, so they'll probably work out the kinks.

Story, world, gameplay, though... I'm very... curious. They say it's going to be more condensed. Condensed how? Like MM condensed? Condensed like we've never seen before? When they said TP was too big, I had to agree. I don't think they were saying the world itself was too big, just that, overall, it was too big for how little was in it. I'd like to see Skyward Sword on the same (if not bigger) scale, but more "condensed" like they are saying. I don't know, I'm still pretty confused by what they said. They weren't very specific on the finer details, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Overall, though, I'm very excited. I'm thrilled. I haven't been this excited about a Zelda release for a long, long time.

Kazumi

chagy
I was initially quite disappointed with the game. I don't really like the graphical style. I mean, I love Wind Waker's cel shading, and Twilight Princess' graphics were great as well, but I just don't like the blend of the two. And the colour pallet is very screwed up and wonky, at least so far. We will probably see some darker colours in different areas. It was also the poor game play demo on stage that helped toward my initial dislike of the game. It didn't look like it worked very well, and I didn't like the sound of how the controls would work either. Not to mention I don't like the hud one bit.

However, it is now starting to grow on me. I think that I will be able to get used to the style and colour pallet, and the controls seem kind of fun from what I am hearing from the show floor. I would still like them to make the sword play more responsive because even in Wii Sports Resort it sometimes didn't work to well. I'm liking the game more and more, but I'm still not that impressed with it. Only time will tell if I will really like it or not.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
My very first reaction was squealing, followed by very loudly exclaiming "DROP. DEAD. GORGEOUS." I seriously find the graphics to be beautiful, absolutely beautiful. The watercolor feel, the bright colors, the expressionism, the fantastical and lively atmosphere radiating from the gorgeous hues of the landscape, I was absolutely enthralled. The graphics were pretty much everything I had hoped for, though after a while, once the fangirly "OMG!!!!" feel died down a bit, I am slightly irked by Link's game model. Something about it just seems a bit off to me, but the graphics in general I could not be happier with.

I'm rather unsure about the controls and gameplay. The demo had hiccups and that kinda gave me a bad feeling, but interference happens. The people who actually tried the demos claim the 1:1 swordplay works pretty well, and I was very pleased with the swordplay mechanisms in Wii Sports Resort (from which these controls are based), so I'm not overly worried. I am a little skeptical still about the fluidity of the whole item control system, but I'm sure Nintendo knows what they are doing.

With what little story and overworld elements that have been leaked or can be inferred to a high degree of likelihood, I am beyond stoked. The Sky Loft, the origins of the Master Sword, the condensed overworld with an emphasis on the sky, those were things I had been speculating about and expecting for weeks. There is just so much possibility and so much we still don't know, but from what we have it looks to be very promising. I feel as if Nintendo hit right where I personally wanted them to hit, and that makes me beyond excited.

Overall, I'm highly pleased, and that is an understatement. Maybe I'm overly optimistic about the game, but there's reason to be, and I can't wait to see more.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
I am slightly irked by Link's game model. Something about it just seems a bit off to me

I feel the exact same way! His clothes just seem so....odd. Especially his pants -_-"
But for some reason this Link doesn't seem as Link-ish as he should be.

DreamDevourer

Born to Fail
My first, initial reaction was more or less "What?"

After watching the trailer I was kind of shocked by the graphics. I was expecting more of a refined TP look, and when it was shown to be a mix of TP and WW, it pretty much blew my mind. I mean, they do look beautiful and very Zelda like, but taking more and more steps in the direction of a cell-shaded series isn't exactly where I want to go. I hope that the next title after Skyward Sword evens the scale more.

The combat looks great, and the enemies look...different, but the items so far leave a lot to be imagined. So far only one new item to the series, the Beedle.

All in all, I want more.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
New game, new adventure. I'll buy in. I'm not convinced as of yet if i like or dislike the graphics yet, but i'm sure i'll love the story plot.

:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

Hero Of Spirits

Champion of Cyrodiil
As some of you might've have guessed, my intial reaction of seeing the picture of the brand new Link & finding out that game was called Skyward Sword, I was like "Okay, that was a little bit unexpected..." My Intial thoughts when Zelda Wii was first announced was that the graphics were going to be like Twilight Princess', because I thought that's how Zelda should be shown graphically. When I finished looking around at all of the pictures here on ZD, & viewed the E3 trailer, I was like: "This is going to work, & it's going to be a really epic game, just like TP." I was then hysterical for ten minutes after that, trying to find as much info about SS as I could.

From a person's view that has played TP & loved it, & hasn't played TWW yet, the graphics look very promising. Sure, Nintendo will give it a few tweaks here & there, but the end result will be just as epic as OoT or TP. Now I'm thinking of getting TWW in preparation for the release of SS. And, if it is a fluke, I'll still get to add another Collector's Edition Guide to my Zelda pile. :)

And, if the Wii MotionPlus makes it function & feel like wielding a real sword, I will go crazy... That's a definate.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
The graphics were pretty much everything I had hoped for, though after a while, once the fangirly "OMG!!!!" feel died down a bit, I am slightly irked by Link's game model. Something about it just seems a bit off to me, but the graphics in general I could not be happier with.

I feel the exact same way! His clothes just seem so....odd. Especially his pants -_-"
But for some reason this Link doesn't seem as Link-ish as he should be.

On a side note, I agree. Something really looked off about his clothes... but I think I spotted the main reason for it: he's right handed. Which means the Baldric (the leather belt holding the scabbard in place) lies the opposite way across his chest to what we're used to seeing, and it looks odd. Like seeing a room in a mirror, everything looks how it should, but something's off about it all. After I noticed that, and got used to it, I really quite like his design now. And his pants are awesome, they seem to balance him a little more? I don't know, but I think they're fitting for this game. Something looks a little off about his mouth though, in some shots. But eh, they're still working out the kinks.

TO KEEP THIS ON TOPIC: All of today, I just keep becoming more and more excited about it as time goes on and more info is released. It seems like it's shaping up to be be FANTASTIC, it really does look and feel so Zelda-y for some reason :3 Though I kind of hope they change the Bokoblin design, it's starting to bug me :|

Big Dissapointment at first but I thought it over and Thought "Hey Its Zelda" Now thats good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom