• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword So is Ganondorf is a Glorified Poe?

Salem

SICK
I actually formed that idea based on the Poes. In Ocarina of Time, the Poe-Salesman describes them as "spirits born of hatred and anger in the land." Given animist-legends, where everything has a spirit, including objects and legends legends about objects and spirits gaining sentience that abound in world mythology and fantasy stories... I didn't think it was an idea that was all that farfetched.
This quote originally came from my Demise thread.

The reason I started a new thread cause I thought this needs it's own topic.

here's the quote from the Poe collector of OoT
The ghosts, called Poes, are spirits of concentrated hatred that appear in the fields and graveyard. They hate the world!
Isn't that what Ganondorf is essentially? He's a reincarnation if Demise's hatred. The Poes are also a form of hatred, does that mean old Ganny is the same as the Poes?

What do you think? Does this elevate Ganondorf? Or is it another way for SS to downgrade Ganon's villain status?:rolleyes:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I repeat what I said in that thread regarding the whole "curse" idea. Demise was simply reiterating the balance of power already present in Hyrule - the Triforce. Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf) are bound to these pieces in some fashion. Where there is evil there will be good and vice versa, I wouldn't even take the curse literally.

Demise may have said his hate will be reborn in a cycle, but this cycle was always destined to happen anyway, it wasn't a revelation, Ganondorf is his own being as our many other evil figures in Hyrule. So I definitely don't see him being a glorified Poe, plus I wouldn't connect the origin of the Poes to Demise anyway.

Salem

SICK
I definitely don't see him being a glorified Poe, plus I wouldn't connect the origin of the Poes to Demise anyway.
That would be hilarious if the Poes are in fact remains of Demise's hatred.

However, if we were to assume the curse was to be taken literally, then Ganondorf would be a manifestation of Demise' hatred specifically. Whilst the poes are said to be general hatred. It sort of implies that they are the remnants of whatever being they originated from and, in this case, came away with just the hatred as opposed to other emotions. Let's not forget, we have seen other spirits that exist purely because of one emotion of one being. The most prominent one coming to mind was the Hero's Shade, who clung onto the afterlife due to his regret.
So Hyrule has a thing with sentient emotions. Now we're entering a weird section of Zelda's lore.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf summed up to be a human poe; it would start to turn into some KH shizzle then. ;p

AT ANY RATE, no, I don't believe he is one. Even if he is seen as evil, he is still human (well, Gerudo, but there ain't a diff bar the gold eyes and darker skin). He makes his own choices. And he's good at playing the anti Hero. Poes don't do that kind of stuff as far as I know.

Salem

SICK
I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf summed up to be a human poe; it would start to turn into some KH shizzle then. ;p
Oh God no. Just thinking of the possibilities is just, KH is complicated as it is...

He makes his own choices. And he's good at playing the anti Hero. Poes don't do that kind of stuff as far as I know.
Zelda Wii U villain confirmed.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I laughed when I saw this because I was thinking this exact thing just the other day. However, I have to say I think that Ganondorf is a specific reincarnation or harbinger of Demise's hatred, or Demise himself in a way, whereas the Poes are closer to ghosts and thus, I believe, general spirits of hatred. There are more of them in adult OoT for example, especially in Hyrule Field as you have the Big Poes, due to Ganondorf's take over. There are a few small ones when you're a kid in the graveyard, but I think that's more a concentration of grief. I don't think they come from specific people, but a general feeling of fear taking a physical manifestation.

EDIT: Wish Link could have said, in the final showdown with Ganondorf in OoT: "What're you gonna do? You're just a glorified Poe, old man!"

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Ganondorf a poe?

No. I think it's fairly obvious that isn't the case. Were that the case Ganondorf wouldn't be Gerudo. He would be a poe. Just like every other poe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom