• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So-called "Shameless Plugs".

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Every now and then, someone will throw a shameless plug out there, something that's most likely some form or way to showcase what they're doing, or promote something they've been working on.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it appreciative and do you like it when people showcase themselves in various ways? Or do you find it mostly annoying, inappropriate even? And under what circumstances?

And do you think it's an appropriate term? is there really something 'shameful' with self-promotion like that?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I dont mind if theyre like subtle about but if they gonna push in my face then im gonna get peed off...

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
You rang? :whistle:

Nah, but seriously, it's a bit of a divisive topic for me. On one hand, it can be really annoying if it's from someone who doesn't care about anything but getting more views or clicks. On the other hand, I really understand where they're comming from, since I'm a creator myself, and when you've worked on something and put a lot of time into it, you really want people to see it, and that can be extremely diffcult nowadays on the web, with so many people doing things like that.
I personally try to do it moderately, and NEVER in places where no one "knows" me. But if I ever annoy any of you, just let me know!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't think promoting work is bad as long as it's done at the right time, and doesn't deter from a conversation. For example, let's say someone is talking about barbecue, idk, and suddenly someone is like, "Shameless Plug: These 5 Celebrities TRASH TALKED The Movies That Made Them Stars". This is pretty random and annoying. Now if the person instead was like, "You know, I recently made a video showcasing various barbecue techniques if you are all interested", that is good promotion.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It's all about delivery. If someone is aggressive about pushing what they're advertising, then it's an immediate turn-off. But if they aren't pushy about it and they seem like a genuine person, then I don't mind so much.

It's all about delivery.
Pretty much agree with that. To interrupt something to promote a completely unrelated thing can be annoying. That being said with relevancy & proper timing it's not so much an issue.

Overall have no issue with people promoting their work though.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
This is one of my least favorite things that happens on Twitter.

1. Make one tweet that is even slightly successful
2. Wow this tweet really blew up!!! Check out my *insert blank* here!!! (for content not remotely related)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom