• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild So Apparently the Yiga can pull the Master Sword

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I was watching an Arlo video and he brought it up so I decided to look up the actually video on YouTube.

So which of you really really patient people are going to try this trick?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Lore-wise, it doesn't really surprise me. The Master Sword has never had any sort of worthiness requirement surrounding its use.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
that's hilarious (: so Link pulling the master sword out can potentially kill him! he needs to be strong if he's going to survive it and wield such power... meanwhile this Yiga on the other hand just pops it into his pocket like he found some money on the ground and then walks away whistling. what a hero.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
it has the "power to repel evil" which I always interpreted as having a sort of magic barrier around it that prevented bad guys from using it coincidentally

Maybe, but it's not exactly a consistent barrier. The only person the Master Sword has actually attempted to repel (and kill) is BotW Link. Even Tetra (who is a pirate. That's some pretty evil stuff) is able to lift it with no issue.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Maybe, but it's not exactly a consistent barrier. The only person the Master Sword has actually attempted to repel (and kill) is BotW Link. Even Tetra (who is a pirate. That's some pretty evil stuff) is able to lift it with no issue.
For BotW Link, I think it was more about proving that he was enough of his old self again or sumn. Trying to keep it out of the hands of someone who had no idea what to do with it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
For BotW Link, I think it was more about proving that he was enough of his old self again or sumn. Trying to keep it out of the hands of someone who had no idea what to do with it.

Maybe, but murder is a decidedly evil act. If the Master Sword considers that an acceptable defense then its ability to judge good and evil is inherently flawed.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Maybe, but murder is a decidedly evil act. If the Master Sword considers that an acceptable defense than its ability to judge good and evil is inherently flawed.
That's a good point, but I'd assume that whoever set up that defense is assuming that whoever's pulling the sword will have enough self preservation to stop before they die. If they did keep going until they died, then they probably didn't need it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That's a good point, but I'd assume that whoever set up that defense is assuming that whoever's pulling the sword will have enough self preservation to stop before they die. If they did keep going until they died, then they probably didn't need it.

That still makes it murder. How many people died trying to pull the Master Sword out of the stone? Seems like the only evil the Master Sword repels is its own.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
That still makes it murder. How many people died trying to pull the Master Sword out of the stone? Seems like the only evil the Master Sword repels is its own.
It's your own fault if you pull it that far tho, the Master Sword isn't actively trying to kill you. Is it murder on the part of the railroads if you play chicken on the railroad tracks? No, you're just an idiot.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I always saw dying to the Master Sword suicide, not murder. Considering the difficulty to reach the woods, the royal family historically choosing very few swordsman to try and wield it, and the fact that the Deku Tree stops you before you die, I’m doubtful many have died anyways. I’ve also always seen lifting and wielding the master sword as two separate things. Plenty of people can lift it, but only the worthy can draw it and “repel the darkness.”

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's your own fault if you pull it that far tho, the Master Sword isn't actively trying to kill you. Is it murder on the part of the railroads if you play chicken on the railroad tracks? No, you're just an idiot.

It isn't your fault that the Master Sword tries to kill you. There isn't a big sign at the sword warning people away.

I always saw dying to the Master Sword suicide, not murder. Considering the difficulty to reach the woods, the royal family historically choosing very few swordsman to try and wield it, and the fact that the Deku Tree stops you before you die, I’m doubtful many have died anyways. I’ve also always seen lifting and wielding the master sword as two separate things. Plenty of people can lift it, but only the worthy can draw it and “repel the darkness.”

I wouldn't call it suicide. It's still the Master Sword that tries to kill potential users. Any weapon that selects users by causing physical harm or killing potential wielders is inherently evil. Even the other big fictional weapon with a worthiness mechanic (that being Marvel's incarnation of Mjolnir) remains inert if someone perceived to be unworthy tries to lift it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom