• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild So Apparently the Yiga can pull the Master Sword

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
There isn't a big sign at the sword warning people away.
Isn’t this one of the Deku Tree’s most important jobs?

It's still the Master Sword that tries to kill potential users. Any weapon that selects users by causing physical harm or killing potential wielders is inherently evil.
This would make like half the quests for all Zelda games “inherently evil” because Link has to prove himself by overcoming trials and likely getting hurt. The powers that seal have shown Link no mercy before, why should they now? You could say the Triforce is inherently evil with this argument; which we know isn’t true, as it is a neutral force. And it’s even more explicitly stated that the Master Sword is a tool for good.

Even the other big fictional weapon with a worthiness mechanic (that being Marvel's incarnation of Mjolnir) remains inert if someone perceived to be unworthy tries to lift it.
To put it quite bluntly, outside stories have no bearing on other unrelated media.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Isn’t this one of the Deku Tree’s most important jobs?

Maybe, but has he actually spoken with anyone else?

This would make like half the quests for all Zelda games “inherently evil” because Link has to prove himself by overcoming trials and likely getting hurt. The powers that seal have shown Link no mercy before, why should they now? You could say the Triforce is inherently evil with this argument; which we know isn’t true, as it is a neutral force. And it’s even more explicitly stated that the Master Sword is a tool for good.

Those journeys don't actively try and murder Link. The Master Sword in BotW directly tries to murder Link.

To put it quite bluntly, outside stories have no bearing on other unrelated media.

Maybe, but it's the only direct comparison I can think of to a fictional weapon with a definitive worthiness requirement. Unlike the Master Sword, is requires goodness and strength of character.

Additionally, it does not try and murder anyone who picks it up.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Are Yiga programmed to snag weapons lying on the ground the way they are bananas? That's news to me. But I suppose they are supposed to be thieves, kinda?

Master Sword way too small for him, though.
I didn't know they could do that either. If you ask me, them being able to pick up any random object kind of undermines the whole Yigas-being-obsessed-with-bananas meme.

I think that being able to wield the Master Sword isn't so much a matter of worthiness, that's a little too subjective. Link, specifically in BotW, is shown to have almost a relationship with the Master Sword. He was lead there to draw it at a young age, and we see it tied into his own life force when he almost dies. Perhaps it's the spirit of Fi or the discretion of the goddesses at work but I think if anyone else were to try and use it it'd be just as powerful as any old kokiri sword. When the chosen hero uses it, or someone who has proven to the goddesses they can be that hero like in WW, it unlocks the power to seal the darkness and shoot lasers when the wielder is at full health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom