• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So About Gen VI's Music...

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Here's another one I rather enjoyed, the sad theme that accompanies AZ.

[video=youtube;TvB8E8FgMug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvB8E8FgMug[/video]​

I really like the music in this game, but I like the songs from R/S/E better. The Gym Leader and Wild Battle themes are my favorite in this game.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
ahhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH. Im glad this thread was made. X and Ys music is AMAZING to me. Best pokemon soundtrack imo. Love the Xerneas and Yveltal Theme. Also the Champion Theme. They make me feel so epic! Especially when you first encounter Xerneas/Yveltal. The legendary Pokemon of Kalos appears before this new kid. GAAAHHHHHHH THE MUSIC IS JUST SO GOOD. *runs off to play some more.*

Now I'm feeling sad that I'm not as excited for the music as everyone else. =[ I was looking forward to a new game/new soundtrack deal, but I agree with the people who said X/Y's music was forgettable. I saw this thread, tried to think of a track I liked, then realized I didn't remember a single melody from the game because nothing stood out to me. I guess, to be fair, I'm not super far into the game at this point, but still not insanely impressed with what I've heard so far.

Garo

Boy Wonder
It has so far served the exact same purpose as all Pokemon music: it gets me excited and sets the mood as I'm playing the game. The minute I shut my 3DS and the music stops, however, I don't recall any of it - other than the themes which are more or less unchanged from game-to-game. This isn't a bad thing - the music is doing its job - but it's mostly unremarkable, I find. Functional, impressive, and admirable, but not remarkable or exceptional as game soundtracks go.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Never without orchestration mixed in.

But, really... what's your point? MIDI is actually sometimes a better option than live instruments.

The point is extremely easy to discern: That Nintendo uses Midi a whole lot, whether mixed with real instruments or not.

"Sometimes" doesn't cut it. The fluent pieces of Aion: Tower of Eternity by far sound better than the Pokemon X/Y tracks, and Guilty Gear also has an edge over the Midi-fied guitar riffs in the video I posted. That's all that I wanted to point out, really, that there are better alternatives out there than straight-up Midi, like the older Pokemon games had; but again, the X/Y still has tremendous sound, in its own way.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
"Sometimes" doesn't cut it.

You are aware that what I said also means that orchestration is only "sometimes" better suited for a track than MIDI, correct?

The fluent pieces of Aion: Tower of Eternity by far sound better than the Pokemon X/Y tracks, and Guilty Gear also has an edge over the Midi-fied guitar riffs in the video I posted.

I'm pretty sure there's never any MIDI guitar in X&Y (read: I know there isn't). The only MIDI used is for the parts of tracks that are better suited with it, just like in the Galaxy games and Skyward Sword, all three of which have ridiculously awesome music. I don't think you realize that both orchestration and MIDI have their own unique benefits, i.e. strengths over the other.

Also, I'd just like to point out that Metroid Prime still has one of the most riveting soundtracks ever composed to this day, and as far as I know, it's pure MIDI. Just sayin'.

I appreciate how specific themes are juxtaposed with their respective environments. Santalune Forest and other nature areas have slower tempos with birds chirping in the backwards, whereas cities, gym leaders. and Team Flare have rougher, faster paced, electronic-esque themes matching their more urban, industrial environments. Gen VI's music emphasizes the modernity of this latest Pokemon batch.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
You are aware that what I said also means that orchestration is only "sometimes" better suited for a track than MIDI, correct?

Yes, and in the case of the two examples I proposed [Aion and Guilty Gear], they just happen to have better sound that fits my personal preferences. Though again, that doesn't discredit Pokemon X/Y's score at all.

I'm pretty sure there's never any MIDI guitar in X&Y (read: I know there isn't). The only MIDI used is for the parts of tracks that are better suited with it, just like in the Galaxy games and Skyward Sword, all three of which have ridiculously awesome music. I don't think you realize that both orchestration and MIDI have their own unique benefits, i.e. strengths over the other.

Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Skyward Sword are all right as their music goes, but X/Y has great music, especially for a Pokemon game. Anyhow, regarding the Midi guitar, just compare this track [which happens to use heavy Midi] to the one I linked before and you'll find that their sounds are similar.

Also, I'd just like to point out that Metroid Prime still has one of the most riveting soundtracks ever composed to this day, and as far as I know, it's pure MIDI. Just sayin'.

Just so happens that I've previously listened to half of the Metroid: Other M soundtrack to try to get more into the series.... And if I recall from somewhere, it also uses Midi and pure instruments. Most of it is ambient, though, which doesn't personally suit my tastes, but the fast-paced tracks are engaging. Metroid Prime's ost consists of the the same--an otherworldly ambience because Samus is in deep space and quicker-tempo battle tracks. The only difference is that it's all in Midi, but Prime does sound better overall.

Elite Four Theme is more than worthy of mention.

[video=youtube;IdSjChtEY3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdSjChtEY3Y[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom