• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Snow to shut things down in a more modernized BOTW?

Many regions would be screwed. Necluda and Lanayru would be shut down, Hateno and Kakariko (whose economies are ruled by crops) would be screwed. Faron, Eldin, and Gerudo obviously wouldn't get snow, but if they did, Lurelin Bay would freeze over and the fish that rule its economy would decimate it. The Gorons wouldn't be affected too much; they've lived on Snowhead and Goron Mountain before. The Gerudo Desert being an ice desert, like Antarctica, would fix some things and screw up others. The Noble Pursuit would boom, the little girl's newly made Wildberry farm would be decimated. Kara Kara Bazaar would freeze over and the settlement would fall apart.

Akkala, the Great Plateau, Tabantha, Hebra, and the Ridgeland would be fine and probably wouldn't need to shut down ever (especially Hebra and the Great Plateau. Central Hyrule during its prime would have shut down pretty early on because horse-travel between, say, Mabe Village and Deya Village would be halted by the snow.

I'm trying to for a LIA (Little Ice Age) scenario where Hyrule goes thru a Grand Solar Minimum long term. Climates quickly changed from a VERY warm peak. 1360 style .

Many regions would be screwed. Necluda and Lanayru would be shut down, Hateno and Kakariko (whose economies are ruled by crops) would be screwed. Faron, Eldin, and Gerudo obviously wouldn't get snow, but if they did, Lurelin Bay would freeze over and the fish that rule its economy would decimate it. The Gorons wouldn't be affected too much; they've lived on Snowhead and Goron Mountain before. The Gerudo Desert being an ice desert, like Antarctica, would fix some things and screw up others. The Noble Pursuit would boom, the little girl's newly made Wildberry farm would be decimated. Kara Kara Bazaar would freeze over and the settlement would fall apart.

Akkala, the Great Plateau, Tabantha, Hebra, and the Ridgeland would be fine and probably wouldn't need to shut down ever (especially Hebra and the Great Plateau. Central Hyrule during its prime would have shut down pretty early on because horse-travel between, say, Mabe Village and Deya Village would be halted by the snow.
Thanks for actually answering me the best you could instead of spam reply. That's where I was heading with. A spell of bad winters such as a grand solar minimum (long term) that cools things off with or without volcanic activity though it's usually hard to have one without the other such as what we've been going thru this last year. G2 Storm Watch!! / Chaos in Kansas, Tornado / New Project to Accurately Predict Space Weather - YouTube

Universities are finally figuring this four letter word out and appropriate funding is being used to further study with rather interesting results a lot of us knew already. Yes the cat is out of the bag that.............. It’s the Sun, stupid! (iceagenow.com)

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Even at a blizzard level, I doubt it’d have much of an effect on people outside of regular damage from a snowstorm. There might be more casualties than a modern society, but it wouldn’t have many long term effects (assuming this is in the winter, when the villages wouldn’t be planting as many crops). The Rito are used to snow, I’m sure the Gerudo are tough enough to make it through especially considering the frigid nights, I don’t think it’d be physically possible to snow on Death Mountain, Kakariko and Hateno might have some casualties but they’ll recover, and Lurelin is probably to tropical to receive much snowfall. The only place I could see devastation would be the with the Zora. It will be hard to find fish with the water frozen over, and they may struggle to survive.

Even at a blizzard level, I doubt it’d have much of an effect on people outside of regular damage from a snowstorm. There might be more casualties than a modern society, but it wouldn’t have many long term effects (assuming this is in the winter, when the villages wouldn’t be planting as many crops). The Rito are used to snow, I’m sure the Gerudo are tough enough to make it through especially considering the frigid nights, I don’t think it’d be physically possible to snow on Death Mountain, Kakariko and Hateno might have some casualties but they’ll recover, and Lurelin is probably to tropical to receive much snowfall. The only place I could see devastation would be the with the Zora. It will be hard to find fish with the water frozen over, and they may struggle to survive.
According to the map from this site (the interactive one from the game) it appears Zora's Domain is pretty far north that I think they would get occasional snow falls like how in Northern California (older climate) snows would typically go below 2,000 feet several times a year unless it's warmer then average. Sometimes the Sacramento Valley east end had dustings every few years.

We lived in Paradise Cali for a few years in the early 90s right at 2,000 feet where we would hug the snowline several times a winter. The official weather station is a tad bit lower in elevation and it's quite notable: There's an official weather station down in the lower end and near us was a private weather station that recorded for the Paradise newspaper on Nelson lane: He'd always get more rain and/or snow fall totals then the official one just a few 100 feet lower!

That lower part of Paradise would get flurries at best while we had an inch or two during the conditions that create low snow. 1072 Wagstaff Rd - Google Maps We lived on Whittal Lane (private drive) the homes are all gone now though some of the fences seemed to (somehow) survived. o_o Sometimes snow would stick on one side of the road and not the other and it would be just a cold rain.:zora:

We had a major fire in the early 90s where we were on level 2 evacuation so we went to Redding knowing some friends and stayed at a motel to visit them and possibly stay with them if things were to have gone worse but the winds turned unexpectedly making the fire go the other way but as we left Paradise to escape the 1992 fire we could see flames on both sides of the Skyway Highway at some points leaving town.

Case in point about the weird climate of Paradise: One year we had 5 inches of heavy wet snow knocking our power out and phone for several hours. I was very little so to prevent me from freezing Mom took me to the neighbors and the power came back on within a half hour of that. We lived on Wagstff which the house is now burnt down from the fire.

Paradise receives TRIPLE the rainfall of the lower areas and has a much much higher yearly rainfall total and it gets even more extreme further up in Stirling City/Inskip where they also get more snow reguarly. The snowline is typically down to DeSabla PGE Power Plant site where there's a weather station: De Sabla - Google Maps They get INSANE rainfall and snowfall totals compared to surrounding areas. The snowline usually lies some where's around there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom