• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SNES Classic Edition

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Hey ZD, there has been some talk about this already; but Nintendo announced yesterday that they are releasing the SNES Classic Edition.
snes-classic-edition.jpg

DDQmxi4XcAAopva.0.jpg

It comes with 20 games:
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi’s Island
snes-classic-star-fox-2.jpg

Plus: It is the first time that anyone will be able to play the finished game of Star Fox 2. Which: I mean, that is really cool.

I was not really stoked on the NES classic... But man: this package is amazing. Especially since it comes with 2 controllers, for awesome local multiplayer with friends.

I myself am completely sold on this package: I have actually managed to get a preorder on Amazon UK(just in case I cannot get an American preorder). But what do you think ZDers? Are you going to try to get the SNES Classic Edition?

Last edited:
I'm really not fussed.

I was impressed with how clean and responsive the NES was and i expect the same from the Snes so it'll be good but....

Personally i have most of these titles downloaded on my WiiU. The ones that are left are the ones i dont care about.

If i didnt have most of these titles at least twice (Snes original and wiiU) each already i would consider it, but as it stands, its not worth it.

I also think they missed some good opportunities for other games. Why not Mario All Stars? Kirby's Dreamland 3 instead of Dream Course, why not the other 2 DKC games? How about Turtles in Time or Double Dragon x Battletoads?

Whats there is good but meh, i own most of them twice already. No need for a third.

Last edited:

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I never considered getting the nes classic, but this looks amazing. I'm definitely see what I can do about getting one

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'm really not fussed.

I was impressed with how clean and responsive the NES was and i expect the same from the Snes so it'll be good but....

Personally i have most of these titles downloaded on my WiiU. The ones that are left are the ones i dont care about.

If i didnt have most of these titles at least twice (Snes original and wiiU) each already i would consider it, but as it stands, its not worth it.

I also think they missed some good opportunities for other games. Why not Mario All Stars? Kirby's Dreamland 3 instead of Dream Course, why not the other 2 DKC games? How about Turtles in Time or Double Dragon x Battletoads?

Whats there is good but meh, i own most of them twice already. No need for a third.
For me at the very least, the Star Fox offerings of this collection is definitely worth it. I actually have never properly played the original Star Fox, due to never owning a SNES(I have played it on emulators, but that was sub optimal compared to the real thing). Nintendo has never released the original Star Fox on VC, so, Star Fox will be pretty much brand new to me. Plus, Star Fox 2... That was a real hook for me. Getting a brand new 20 year old game is astonishing to me, and I actually really love the characters of SF2 compared to any other Star Fox game.

(Oh and as for why TMNT isn't on it. It's actually impossible to re-release this game; like, it's actually impossible. Konami lost its license for TMNT years ago. It was later bought by Activision; but current day, Activision again lost the license. And Double Dragon X BattleToads is impossible because of Rare).

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would like to have one, but I have a real SNES, so I'll probably just end up getting any games for it that I missed out on in cartridge form depending on what's cheaper.

I have 6 of these titles already for my actual SNES:

Donkey Kong Country
Final Fantasy III
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World

That leaves 14 games that might motivate me to get the console. But 4 of them don't interest me at all:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Punch-Out!!
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts

So that leaves the following 10 games as reasons I might decide to buy the console:

EarthBound
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course

Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Super Castlevania IV
Super Metroid
Yoshi’s Island

Out of those games, I'm really only seriously interested in 5 of them, with the rest being games I'm moderately interested in or curious about.

Ultimately, if I buy the thing, the Star Fox 2 addition to the package will be what puts me over the edge.

MW7

I'll will try much harder to buy one than I did for the NES Classic. I'm still upset that I don't have one. I still have a working SNES with several of these games, but I've never played Earthbound, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, and several others. I actually think Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest is my favorite SNES game, and it seems to be extremely popular so I'm surprised it wasn't included.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Being able to get most of these games elsewhere aside, it's a nice novelty that I'd really be interested in if Nintendo actually cared to get it out to consumers. I like that they're fixing things like the wire length of the controller and even including a second controller this time around, but it's hard to be excited when I know I won't be able to get one as I wasn't able to get a NES classic before. They should have really focused on the NES classic a while longer and made sure they had enough to go around before doing something like this. Scalpers are dicks, but you can't really blame them when Nintendo is creating such a nice market for them. It's like Nintendo hates money or something. They should have milked the NES classic for all it's worth first, and then move onto the SNES classic.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
I really want to grab an SNES Classic, but I feel like it will be even more popular than the NES Classic, and I might not get one. Nintendo did say that they would make more of the SNES than the NES, but I'm still not sure. If I do though, I'll get to catch up on a generation of gaming that I missed. I know this might anger some of you, but I have yet to play A Link to the Past, Earthbound, and pretty much all of the games included in the Classic besides Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Yoshi's Island. In conclusion, I am really hoping to snag one of these when it comes out.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
The only game on the console i can't play legally is Starfox 2, I have a physical copy of every other game on the console, so I won't be getting an SNES classic unless it had 2 or more games I wanted to play but couldn't. Just a personal rule of mine.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Can't wait until they understock it and it costs 600 bucks on ebay. ****ing Nintendo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom