• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Smash Bros Ultimate

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.
I never said reviving the old characters and bringing new ones was bad. It's just...they didn't bring anything totally new to the table that made me go "Wow!". And I doubt we'll get anything more out of this "Ultimate" game, like a cool story mode. Not to mention you have to pay to play online. It's just so not worth the money imo.

I'm so tired of Nintendo fanboys trying to ignore the fact that the company brings next to nothing every year to the market despite being a company devoted to only making games/consoles. Nintendo is not innovative and they don't care about long-time fans. They prey on these devoted fanboys who will buy every product they put out just because it has the name 'Nintendo' on it, even if that product is a remaster of a remake of a rehashed game from the previous console with little to no changes. Nintendo is only interested in money.

And with this new Smash, focusing on competitive online play is the best way for them to make money easily, without having to put out a good quality product.

Honestly, I'm rather annoyed at this comment. My reply isn't meant to be a personal attack, but I hope people stop calling Smash Ultimate a lazy effort when it was built from the ground up for the Switch. Sakurai works so hard on Smash games that it disheartens me to see people so harsh on the final product when it's a love letter to everything Nintendo and even provides people the opportunity to experience dream third party match-ups. Sakurai wanted to add everyone for the fans, and, I think, he also did this for Iwata. Iwata was a longtime friend of his, so even though Sakurai claimed to be done with the franchise after Smash 4, he came back for one last love letter to the fans and to a close friend and mentor.

As for Nintendo specifically, I agree they dropped the ball this year, but I hope this is an anomaly after their amazing 2017. With Fire Emblem and Yoshi both delayed to 2019, I imagine Nintendo decided to put a lot more focus on Smash to pad out the time and to cement it as the game to focus on for the year as their big seller. It sucks because there were no first party delays last year, but it happens. With only Daemon X Machina and Super Mario Party announced as major Switch retail games at E3, I hope there are more projects in the pipelines that will be revealed soon.

but I hope this is an anomaly after their amazing 2017.
Not at all. People need to stop thinking that every announcement from Nintendo happens at E3. We get directs all year round. Info will be spread around them all. Also Nintendo has said 2017 was an anomoly in terms of their E3 content. Usually Nintendo does notannounce or name drop projects that far from completion but they wanted to give the public a rough outline of the next few years of switch.

From now on, it's just content much closer to release from the Nintendo directs throughout the year. That's not a bad thing as you know everything talked about is nor years away from release. Nintendo's direct this year, though not amazing was alright. In comparison no one had an amazing keynote or digital event at E3. Every major studio left the smart fans wanting. That's ok. From a Nintendo point of view, we have the rest of 2018 covered which is great and soon enough we'll hear more about 2019.

Square Enix's digital event was pretty good too. Zero new titles announced there but it confirmed to us everything we know and it was slick and quick, no boring live keynotes getting in the rode.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Slowly been losing my mind about Smash Ultimate. I've always loved Inklings and Ridley in their own games so I'm excited for their inclusion. I don't care that we won't be getting too many new characters since the roster is already so stacked. So happy Snake is returning, especially. Bringing back Squirtle and Ivysaur is really cool too although I would have preferred they split up as their own characters.

It amazing me how many stages they're putting in the game. If they actually manage bring back every stage (and the music that goes with it), I'll be completely overwhelmed in the best possible way. At the very least bring back Fountain of Dreams, please!

I've always been extremely attached to the Twilight Princess designs personally but I'll have to get over it. At least they brought back Young Link, he's adorable and might fulfill my desire for a more traditional Link.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Im actually really excited for Ivysaur. I mained him in Project M and he was pretty good I really liked the Solar Beam mechanic. I don't remember if he had that in Brawl but it was a fun ability in Project M!

Quin

Disaster Master
And that's really where all of the Smash consumers are. With the removal of single-player, a lot of the casuals weren't interested in the series.

Yeah, no. They are just a vocal minority if anything. I'm willing to bet only like 5% of the people that bought smash are competitive players that turn off items and only play battle field ASAP.

Honestly, I'm rather annoyed at this comment. My reply isn't meant to be a personal attack, but I hope people stop calling Smash Ultimate a lazy effort when it was built from the ground up for the Switch. Sakurai works so hard on Smash games that it disheartens me to see people so harsh on the final product when it's a love letter to everything Nintendo and even provides people the opportunity to experience dream third party match-ups. Sakurai wanted to add everyone for the fans, and, I think, he also did this for Iwata. Iwata was a longtime friend of his, so even though Sakurai claimed to be done with the franchise after Smash 4, he came back for one last love letter to the fans and to a close friend and mentor.

Sakurai always says the smash he makes is the last one. See him make smash 6 too.

Anyway, I love the guy, he makes amazing content filled games usually, but c'mon, Smash 4 was seriously lacking in love and content if you compare it to melee and brawl. So far this game isn't showing to change that so far as well, but lets wait and see.
To say he did everything for the fans is also just baseless assumptions. Some things he added are obviously more meant to be advertisements. Don't praise him too much now.

Anyway, I personally was pretty disappointed with the lack of new stuff as well at first (other than YES RIDLEY!!!!!) But I warmed up to the idea more. Not because of all the clones they readded, but they showed so many stages, there is a good possibility all previous ones are making it in, and thats cool. New items also look very fun. Oh and wario got the shoulder bash back! Thanks Sakurai

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Yeah, no. They are just a vocal minority if anything. I'm willing to bet only like 5% of the people that bought smash are competitive players that turn off items and only play battle field ASAP.

Sakurai always says the smash he makes is the last one. See him make smash 6 too.

Anyway, I love the guy, he makes amazing content filled games usually, but c'mon, Smash 4 was seriously lacking in love and content if you compare it to melee and brawl. So far this game isn't showing to change that so far as well, but lets wait and see.
To say he did everything for the fans is also just baseless assumptions. Some things he added are obviously more meant to be advertisements. Don't praise him too much now.

Anyway, I personally was pretty disappointed with the lack of new stuff as well at first (other than YES RIDLEY!!!!!) But I warmed up to the idea more. Not because of all the clones they readded, but they showed so many stages, there is a good possibility all previous ones are making it in, and thats cool. New items also look very fun. Oh and wario got the shoulder bash back! Thanks Sakurai
I play with no items only on Final destination and sometimes Battlefield. Who the **** plays only for Single Player? Who the **** plays time battles and who the **** actually uses other stages? Only if I'm smashing with a group do I ever use different stages and maybe an item. They are dumb.

Brawl was given no love and was much worse than Sm4sh. Worse than 64.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I play with no items only on Final destination and sometimes Battlefield. Who the **** plays only for Single Player? Who the **** plays time battles and who the **** actually uses other stages? Only if I'm smashing with a group do I ever use different stages and maybe an item. They are dumb.
Tons of people play like that.... you are not the standard. The way you play sounds like you only use 10% of what makes the game fun.

Quin

Disaster Master
and who the **** actually uses other stages? Only if I'm smashing with a group do I ever use different stages and maybe an item. They are dumb.
People who like fun and don't get massive buttblasted because a random element is why they lost (even though item use is a skill in itself, and so is stage gimmicks)
Remind me to never play smash with you, sounds VERY boring.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I'm expecting a lackluster single player mode which is another reason why I'm probably not going to buy it. Just gonna wait for the reviews/gameplay footage.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
People who like fun and don't get massive buttblasted because a random element is why they lost (even though item use is a skill in itself, and so is stage gimmicks)
Remind me to never play smash with you, sounds VERY boring.
Eh. That is a fair assumption. When we turn on the bouncy things at max amount, it's fun though.

I just find the actual competitive part to be the fun part

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!

Yeah, no. The competitive scene is the majority of Smash 4 at least is the majority of Smash players. Sure, there's still a lot of casuals, but most of the casual single players never even bought the Wii U console.

Brawl was given no love and was much worse than Sm4sh. Worse than 64.

I do have to disagree with the jab at Brawl though. The subspace emissary line and the events were given so much more than Melee and Sm4sh ever were, and the game will always have a special place in my heart. Competitive-wise, it wasn't great, but the Wii was a casual console, and that's where the game did great.
I get where you're coming from though, I love the competitive side of Smash.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Yeah, no. The competitive scene is the majority of Smash 4 at least is the majority of Smash players. Sure, there's still a lot of casuals, but most of the casual single players never even bought the Wii U console.
However, the casuals are buying Switches. If there was such a separation, it wasn't because thays where interest in Smash was, but instead because of the situation Nintendo put that specific Smash game in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom