• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Smash Bros Ultimate

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
This presentation really wasn't for the casual fans. It seems pretty obvious in my opinion that a lot of what they changed, mechanics-wise, was for the sake of the competitive crew. Battlefield stages, increased damage in 1-on-1s, faster Final Smashes, etc.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I can say I'm excited for this. I love how Ultimate can be summed up as "Literally everyone" Even
Ridley believe it or not.
at first I wasn't sure how I felt about not having BotW Zelda to go with BotW Link, but I actually like the variation in Zelda characters. Great to finally not have TP multiple times.
Was surprised they didn't use SS Link in the 4th smash bros. I can say I am very hyped for this

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I can say I'm excited for this. I love how Ultimate can be summed up as "Literally everyone" Even
Ridley believe it or not.
at first I wasn't sure how I felt about not having BotW Zelda to go with BotW Link, but I actually like the variation in Zelda characters. Great to finally not have TP multiple times.
Was surprised they didn't use SS Link in the 4th smash bros. I can say I am very hyped for this

I see that lil joke there BWWA and i like it :P Also thank christ no SS link

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
so Ill say this with regards to the graphics and character models. with the game being released in December, it seems like they still have some work to do. we've only seen the 4 and 8 player smash modes confirmed as of now. (and online modes now that I think about it) I would not be surprised if the whole demo version that they used at E3 is a preliminary render for the actual game Nintendo has always felt a bit behind when it comes to the graphics power of their consoles but the switch is the most advanced so far. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't up the graphics at all between now and December. its still 6 months away. but ultimately, the game has a lot of fans counting on a great game and I'm sure Nintendo won't disappoint

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I have to disagree with you. bringing back the old characters and adding two new ones is a very cool thing. now people can relive the brawl days without playing on a crappy 3rd party wii remote. its like combining all four games into one beautiful "ultimate" smash. the re works, the new moves, the graphics changes. they all make it feel like truly the ultimate streamlined smash game. I'm super excited and I've never felt so far away from December in my life

I never said reviving the old characters and bringing new ones was bad. It's just...they didn't bring anything totally new to the table that made me go "Wow!". And I doubt we'll get anything more out of this "Ultimate" game, like a cool story mode. Not to mention you have to pay to play online. It's just so not worth the money imo.

I'm so tired of Nintendo fanboys trying to ignore the fact that the company brings next to nothing every year to the market despite being a company devoted to only making games/consoles. Nintendo is not innovative and they don't care about long-time fans. They prey on these devoted fanboys who will buy every product they put out just because it has the name 'Nintendo' on it, even if that product is a remaster of a remake of a rehashed game from the previous console with little to no changes. Nintendo is only interested in money.

And with this new Smash, focusing on competitive online play is the best way for them to make money easily, without having to put out a good quality product.

Dan

I never said reviving the old characters and bringing new ones was bad. It's just...they didn't bring anything totally new to the table that made me go "Wow!". And I doubt we'll get anything more out of this "Ultimate" game, like a cool story mode. Not to mention you have to pay to play online. It's just so not worth the money imo.

I'm so tired of Nintendo fanboys trying to ignore the fact that the company brings next to nothing every year to the market despite being a company devoted to only making games/consoles. Nintendo is not innovative and they don't care about long-time fans. They prey on these devoted fanboys who will buy every product they put out just because it has the name 'Nintendo' on it, even if that product is a remaster of a remake of a rehashed game from the previous console with little to no changes. Nintendo is only interested in money.

And with this new Smash, focusing on competitive online play is the best way for them to make money easily, without having to put out a good quality product.

Yeah but did you see that Olimars helmet gets cracked when he's hit? Don't worry though it looks fine again after a few seconds.
That entire trailer smelt more desperate than a room full of virgin 20 something year olds on the eve of valentines day.

Hence literally every Zelda game getting rereleased or a remake before BotW came out. Besides Skyward Sword anyway, but I bet thats coming soon.

Very funny and very true :)

PZoxyau.jpg

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Disappointing overall, other than the returning and new characters.

The changes are very minimal and Zelda and Ganon look terrible. Not to mention online multiplayer will most likely be unavailable unless you pay.

Most disappointing Nintendo reveal I've seen in a long time.

Honestly, the whole Zelda cast looked like a total mess. They couldn't even be bothered to use character models from the same game? I despise BotW designs, but even I'd have preferred that they had gone with all BotW designs instead of this jumble. What bothered me most though is that the BotW Link looked so different, like they remodeled him instead of just porting him over. Even his stance is totally fricked up compared to his actual game.

Overall I think the presentation was weak and there was way too much explaining every little tiny detail in the game rather than shutting up and just showing footage. If any other company had done this people here would have lost their minds and called them out on it. Not a huge fan of the dainty looking Zelda, the TP version was much more fitting for smash and Ganondorf looks much better in the Wii U version also. The character models also look like their made of plastic and look so lifeless. The models used in the Wii U version looked better to me and the lackluster looking characters are really disappointing being on the switch and being one of Nintendos biggest franchises.

PLASTIC! PLASTIC! That's the word I've been thinking of! It kinda looks like those cheesy CGI animations where the shading is all wack. I'm choosing to believe that this is because it's still in development, and it'll be more polished up once it hits the shelves. Otherwise I'll just have to wait until modding becomes a bigger thing on the Switch and try to swap out some of the character models...

Also, what the heck is up with the knockback? Like 95% of it comes out immediately, then they just immediately freeze in midair and come back down again...

This presentation really wasn't for the casual fans. It seems pretty obvious in my opinion that a lot of what they changed, mechanics-wise, was for the sake of the competitive crew. Battlefield stages, increased damage in 1-on-1s, faster Final Smashes, etc.

And that's really where all of the Smash consumers are. With the removal of single-player, a lot of the casuals weren't interested in the series. I'm totally okay with that though, as I'm part of the competitive scene. I'm wicked ticked that they changed Link's moveset so much though, he's been my main since Melee (even though he relatively sucked), and with the removal of his hookshot and time bombs, I'm going to have to completely drop him for Young or Toon Link (I am hyped that YL is in it though!)

I'm also annoyed that my whole post sounds like hate, I'm actually pretty excited for the next installment, even if it's so different from what I wanted.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Can you share where you found the official confirmation of this?

Sorry, I meant with the Wii U, that's where the casual play died down and competitive became the more major use of the game. I kinda worded that in a confusing manner I guess. Totally hoping there's a story mode for Smash Ultimate!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom