• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Smash Bros 5 Joy-Con Multiplayer?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Should Smash 5 be compatible with single joy-con play?

• Yes, definitely

• No, definitely not

• #dkbongosmash #gitgud

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Nintendo has been pushing their couch multiplayer with the Switch and a major first-party ip like Smash seems unlikely to pass up the possibility. The thing is, of course I don't want to have to buy a bunch of pro controllers for Smash, but I also don't want to play a version of Smash that makes it difficult to grab (analogue stick button? motion controls?) or even hold the controller. So what's the solution?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Single Joy Con play is happening.

Stick is to move
A is standard attack
B is special
L Bumper is grab
R bumper is shield
X and Y are jump (And tap jump, of course)

No C stick, but that's ok. No taunts, but that's also ok

Of course, no one would play like this unless they needed to, but it's totally happening

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I may not have been clear, it's very likely to happen, I'm asking if it SHOULD happen. I'm just conflicted because I imagine play with a single joy-con to take away from the experience. We know, if we're given the option to do something cheaper or easier, even at the expense of a brand, the masses will choose that option. The same way that knowing cheat codes can ruin a video game or discovering the most powerful min-max can ruin a role playing game. Maybe I'm wrong. So you think it would hurt people's overall perception of the game is most people played it with a single joy-con?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I may not have been clear, it's very likely to happen, I'm asking if it SHOULD happen. I'm just conflicted because I imagine play with a single joy-con to take away from the experience. We know, if we're given the option to do something cheaper or easier, even at the expense of a brand, the masses will choose that option. The same way that knowing cheat codes can ruin a video game or discovering the most powerful min-max can ruin a role playing game. Maybe I'm wrong. So you think it would hurt people's overall perception of the game is most people played it with a single joy-con?
The option of single joy con play isn't hurting anyone. I see zero way for it to hurt someone. Only help

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
The option of single joy con play isn't hurting anyone. I see zero way for it to hurt someone. Only help

For all the noobs still stuck on the sideways Wii remote, the single joy con will appeal

These are the sort of opinions I was wondering about. How people individually feel about it. Maybe I should have reworded the thread to ask if people think that a lesser game experience could be detrimental to the franchise.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i don't see why it shouldn't, frankly i think a joycon would be more suitable for smash than a single wiimote
in fact,compare the buttons on a standard 3ds to the ones on a lone joycon,d-pad aside its the same amount,if people were able to competently play smash bros on a 3ds, then there should be no problems w/ using a joycon

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
Does the Switch still have a way to accommodate gamecube ports? I have severe Tendinopathy in both hands that's making it quite painful to play high APM games, especially on the Wiimote and the Switch Joycons look to be even more of a strain on the ECU and FCU tendons. I'm hoping to be able to use a B0XX across multiple platforms for Smash when it eventually releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom