• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Small Talk vs Silence

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Whenever you find yourself in a situation like, for example, sitting in a waiting room or riding in a car/bus with strangers, do you make small talk or do you prefer to remain silent? Personally, I prefer to remain silent. I'm rather socially awkward, and it's hard for me to talk with strangers for the most part. I don't have a problem with engaging in small talk though, as long as it's someone else that starts it. What about the rest of you?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Before, I used to stay silent. But nowadays, I prefer to make small talk. Even if it's something silly like "I like your shirt," I have to get a conversation going. I learned that connections with people are really important, so I make them when I can.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I am rather shy, so I generally remain silent. However, I have recently begun to pluck up the courage to be even slightly conversational. Silence makes things extremely awkward, so I sometimes try to engage in conversation with somebody nearby. For example, when at the hairdresser's, I spend pretty much the entire time talking to the hairdresser. Granted, they are generally the ones that begin the conversations, but I go along with it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It depends really. I'm just as likely to fish my Kindle/iPod out of my purse as I am to start up a conversation with another person. I just feel it out, see if the other people seem receptible for a conversation, maybe say something really trivial that could result in either a monosyllabic answer or a longer, more conversational answer.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I like being silent. I'm awkward even in normal conversation so small talk is really weird to me, especially with strangers. I'm not against small talk though. If someone engages in small talk with me I'll try to respond. I'd rather just sit there silently and get lost in my own mind though.

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
I don't like talking to people, really, so I prefer to be more silent. Unless the person goes and tries to make a conversation, I'll try and make it go, but I won't talk a lot.

Dan

I prefer silence but it feels very unnatural for me, and I believe the majority that aren't socially awkward rejects like small talk, or assume so anyway, so I'll try starting some if that person has started it in the past.

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
I prefer silence. I don't know how to hold a conversation anyways. I would just respond in a word or two, and the person trying to talk to me would give up. I am very socially awkward. I'm usually lost in my own little mind - like Mathias said. I like it that way. I always prefer to be alone. And plus, I like silence more than noise. So silence is always better for me.

I know the importance of developing social skills, but I have none, and I feel most comfortable inside my mind. I want to start talking to people more. Yet I don't think I would.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
It's not usually easy for me to talk to people. However, if they seem to like similar things as myself, I'll make an offhand comment, which may or may not spiral out into a full conversation or a weird look that shuts me up.

When it involves a girl, usually I want to say something, but it can take weeks to finally figure out what and how to say it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
if its to someone who i kinda know,silence to me is awkward as ****,especially if its someone who's friends w/ one of my friends
but if its a complete stranger then i don't care,i don't wanna hear them talk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom