• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Small Talk vs Silence

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Small talk! I prefer to just chat to someone if sat by them, though usually need to kind of gauge how they'll be beforehand. I've said hello before to an awkward look away, but then, like on my train back from Cardiff one day, I was sat chatting to this guy for like 3 hours, he was really nice! And just said 'ta ra' when his stop came up. So, I'd rather make small talk than sit in silence, but I guess it does kind of depend on the atmosphere and where I am. :P I feel people are more open to chat and stuff up North for instance.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I won't initiate small talk unless there's something I find really interesting about the person (if they have an anime bag that I like or are wearing a geeky tshirt or whatever), but I also won't turn down conversation if someone else starts it.

I've noticed how much elderly folks seem to appreciate it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Neither to be honest, I hate small talk as much as silence. Small talk leads nowhere in my opinion and it can be just as awkward as silence.

Everyone who knows me knows I never shut up, I don't notice it to be honest, but that's just me, I like to talk. Where I'm from, we're known for being chatty and I'm no exception, so when in social situations with anyone I know or a random stranger, I'll probably have a good conversation. I'm a pretty good listener as well and if the opposing person isn't incredibly awkward or shy then I can usually get on with them pretty well.

Of course it depends on the person and the environment, if I'm not inclined to talk to that person then I probably won't, but if someone starts a conversation I'll talk back simple as. I don't mind being the first to initiate the conversation though, as I said I like to talk :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom