• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyword Sword Title Art, Clue?

maybe we will learn why the royal family is this one and not a different one, or maybe we will meet a celestial bird of some sort

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
I'd been thinking about this too... what I'd really like to know though is the Japanese name for the game- they tend to be a clue as well because usually they differ slightly in meaning. Take ST for example, the English name is "Spirit Tracks", but the actual Japanese name translates as "Train Whistle of the Earth" (or something to that effect). Looking at both names and the logo together, it tells us that along with trains being important, spirits, the actual tracks themselves and the train whistle are intended to play an important role as well. Throughout the game the train whistle is actually used for various important purposes, but without looking at the Japanese name it doesn't spring out really in western gamers' minds...

If we could learn the japanese name, it might help to shed some light on what the actual purpose the Royal Crest plays in the game, and what it is meant to symbolise (flight? founding of the royal family? etc). But regardless, this it is a great point you've stumbled on here, Con-man :3

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
This is a huge shot, but I'm guessing that after Link saves Hyrule, the people of Skyloft decide to build a civilization there, and their royal crest would be a bird in honor of link, who flew from the sky to save the land. That might be why the royal crest is a bird.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I've thought about the symbolism of that bird quite a bit. My personal theory, and this is a rather farfetched one but regardless, is that Hyrule is a divided land torn by evil and ignorant of the myths of the Golden Goddesses. The bird in the logo symbolizes the hero, Link, from Skyloft, since Skyloft is close to the heavens, bringing the myths and blessings of the Golden Goddesses down to Hyrule to save them (the bird is carrying the Triforce in the logo after all, though whether that has symbolic purpose or is for aesthetic balance remains to be seen).

What I find curious is that the bird in the logo, though apparently made of gold, is imperfect. It is tarnished and cracked in places, perhaps showing a fall from grace for the people of Skyloft? Perhaps Skyloft suffered to save Hyrule, resulting in the semi-ruined state of some areas of the City in the Sky (yes I believe that Skyloft and the City in the Sky are closely related)? I'm just throwing out theories really, there might not even be a symbolic purpose for the cracked gold other than aesthetics, but hey, who knows? It's fun to speculate on such things.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
good point, the japanese names sometimes have clues in them.

Indeed. Though just as commonly the japanese names have been the same in meaning as the english ones, such as with Ocarina of Time/Toki no Okarina, or are literally just a phonic translation of the English title, such as with Twilight Princess/Towairaito Purinsesu... and irritatingly this seems to be one of those occasions. Even delving into the japanese site, Nintendo, being the swines they are, simply labelled it in english away- I can't even find the Kanji/Hiragana for it... if we could, translating that might help even a little. I'm trying to listen to the undubbed Iwata asks, but EVEN THEN they just seem to be calling it "Sukaiwarudo Suworudo" or something to that effect- still just a phonetic translation! Argh.

So it looks like the japanese name isn't going to be much help this time anyway, so for now the only other hint we have is from the Crest in the logo... I wonder what is does symbolise... maybe its meaning is something akin to our concept of Angels- as in, as savior from the heavens decending to destroy the darkness? Or perhaps it refers to some aspect of freedom, or rebirth of Hyrule (ie like a Phoenix rising from the ashes) I don't know. Hopefully the game will explain though~

EDIT: I like Xinnamin's idea above, about the reason for the tarnished effect... I do hope Nintendo has a deeper reason for that too...

Last edited:

Con-man

Master Swordsman
Just because it's the crest of the royal family, doesn't mean it doesn't represent flight, Link could fly around on some majestic bird and that is why they chose to put a bird in the crest. So it doesn't really make difference.

L

Link's Shadow

Maybe the Hylian bird will be what Link uses to go from Skyloft to Hyrule.

Steve

5/19/13
Considering the game appears to be the earliest title to date, and based on what the developers have said, it would seem that this is the game where Hyrule is officially born as a kingdom. Considering the Hylian Pheonix, with the Triforce head, is the mark of the Royal Family, it would be safe to say that is the reasoning for using it the the logo.

I agree with the majority of people on here, the game may focus on how the royal family came to be in Hyrule. Still calling that the game will feature the unification of Hyrule XD

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
The symbol has a Triforce with a bird under it because I assume it's actually supposed symbolize the Hylian savior coming from the sky. Maybe it's supposed to symbolize how the sword points to the sky, and there are birds in the sky. Who knows? It's not going to be something stupid. We know that the only flying in the game we will see is when the SS girl helps Link get to Skyloft throughout the game. Other than that, Link just free falls from Skyloft to Hyrule.

Link doesn't fly on a bird, use your common sense. Nintendo confirmed some of the story, go read it. Link travels from Hyrule to Skyloft by the SS when it is in it's human form, when he goes from Skyloft to Hyrule, he free falls, and the SS in it's human form prevents Link from dying upon impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
The logo that everyones talking about may just be a place holder until we see more about the game. So until the game comes closer to the release date, we will not be certain for sure.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
The logo that everyones talking about may just be a place holder until we see more about the game. So until the game comes closer to the release date, we will not be certain for sure.

Good point, but have they done this in the past?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom