• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword's High Expectations

geek4887

The Unknown
With a few weeks away from Skyward Sword's release, everyone's been speculating as much as they can about this new installment. Everyone's been theorizing, checking out items, so on so forth. Of course, everyone then has a standard on this game. Now, as Zelda fans, we tend to have a bit too high standards. Anyways, I have high expectations of Skyward Sword. It got AMAZING reviews from many sites, some are even perfect. I just watched that IGN video and they said that it's probably the best Zelda game to date. If it tops Ocarina of Time, the best game ever, will Skyward Sword be the newest best game ever? I know it's pretty far fetched but with what we've seen, what do you think?

Ocarina of Time is not the best game ever.. it's not even the best Zelda game ever. So do I believe Skyward Sword can top OoT and TP and Link's Awakening? Yes. I do.

geek4887

The Unknown
Ocarina of Time is not the best game ever.. it's not even the best Zelda game ever. So do I believe Skyward Sword can top OoT and TP and Link's Awakening? Yes. I do.
Oh, I meant that it's widely considered, both by gamers and critics, to be the best game ever. Yeah, a little misunderstanding there.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
Ocarina of Time is not the best game ever.. it's not even the best Zelda game ever.

Are you kidding? I know it's a matter of opinion, but *insert Zelda fanboy rant here*. I just wonder, what game is the best game ever to you?

As to the high expectations thing, even though I believe it's gonna be the most awesome game ever, I thing high expectations may be a bad thing. Remember TP? Having an adult, realistic Link excited people so much that the expectations rose too high for people to actually notice how good the game really was. People instead focused on the downturns of the game, overshadowing the greatness the game did have.

Ocarina of Time is so highly outdated by today's standards. It is a 3D game that is still holding on to its 2D roots. The dungeon design is just so.. boring. Things look very flat and lifeless, like these places were designed for a game rather than merely existing within a game world. Wind Waker really remedied this and made places look like actual TEMPLES where people might have worshiped or whatever. Plus, the story is very.. bare bones. There is the occasional cool scene, but it's mostly pretty annoying. OoT is by no means a bad game, but it's run its course. Similar to how SM64 was bested by Sunshine and Galaxy. Those primitive N64 designs have been rendered obsolete by this point.

As for what games I do consider worthy of being called the best of all time? My list isn't too exciting or obscure or less than generic. I'd include games like Super Metroid, Cave Story, Portal 2, Phantasy Star IV, Gate of Thunder, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dragon Quest III through V, and most likely Metal Gear Solid when played on hard mode.

Ocarina is widely considered to be one of the greatest video games ever made. You can disagree (hell, its not my favorite) but you can't deny its pedigree. It is the definative Zelda. The blueprint for an adventure game. I'd say it is the most balanced Zelda to date and that is why it is the most universally liked. It might not have done sidequests as well as Majora's Mask, or exploration like Wind Waker, but it was very well rounded. Each of those games has flaws in some areas. While Ocarina may not shine as brightly in certain areas, it really has no glaring flaws. I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong though. I just wanted to try and explain why Ocarina holds the status it does.

OT, I think some people are a little overhyped about the game and are setting themselves up for disappointment, but nothing close to Twilight Princess levels. Some people are convinced the game will be GOTY when there are several other phenomenal games being released right now. Honestly I'd be surprised if SS got very many GOTY awards. Where the industry is right now, games like Zelda just aren't as appreciated.

There are also others who are so convinced with how they want the plot to pan out that they refuse to accept any other theories. These people will probably be greatly disappointed if the story twists in a way they weren't expecting.

There's also the fact that we know so much about the game. I can list the first five areas we visit, the dungeons at the ends of those areas, and the bosses at the ends of those dungeons. We also know about several overworld bosses who will surely come into play later in the game. I'm concerned that we've seen too much.

All in all though, I'm almost convinced that this Zelda will be the greatest since Wind Waker, or maybe even the N64 Zeldas. Only time will tell.

With how much is being revealed I'd say so. I'm a hardcore Zelda fan though and I tend to be bias. But the story seems to be deep and enthralling, the exploration looks expansive and fun, the gameplay looks to be innovative and fun in itself, and if there are as many sidequests as we've been told there are that should provide hours of fun for us to get side tracked by. I'd say yes, it will be amazing.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I am positive that Skyward Sword will live up to the expectations of Zelda fans. I have no doubt in my mind that it will be the best Zelda game ever!

F

foundthebigkey

I was very overhyped after the September trailers, especially the Romance one, and more recently the harp trailer has caught my interest. But I've been avoiding anything that looks like it'll spoil anything I don't already know since October (so I'll be grateful to get to the end so I can start looking at more than 1 or 2 threads), and my hype level is actually pretty low now.

If it isn't the best thing ever I won't be overly disappointed, so long as it has the Zelda vibe I'll enjoy it, but the reviews and features I do know of give me hope that SS will be one of the better games in the series.

Based on the reviews, the art style, the rpg elements and the apparently strong plot (and you know, being Zelda), short of actually playing I can see this becomes one of the best, if not the best. But of course pre-release impressions can be misleading.

I believe this game will really live up to the hype. Or at least I hope. From what i have seen and heard SS is going to be an amzing Game. It may even become my favorite game!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
My high expectations? A short time after its release, Skyward Sword will begin to top Arkham City, Skyrim, and Assassin's Creed. It will become the Game of the Year first, then the top-rated game ever, because it's still bursting with unrealized potential. When the world experiences this masterpiece wrought by Nintendo, they'll understand how deep the Big N went to draw so much from us. Skyward Sword will not be the best game in the series, but the best game of all time.

MW7

My expectations are sky high. There is almost no way for the game to live up to them, but even then I'd go so far as to say that SS could fail every one of my expectations and still be my favorite wii game by a mile (right now its DKCR). It'd be near impossible for it to top MM as my favorite zelda game, but notice that I said near impossible and not impossible.

As for critical reception, it will definitely win multiple GOTY awards, but Batman and/or Skyrim could potentially end up as the highest rated game of the year on Metacritic and Gamerankings (which IMO are the only GOTY awards that matter). As far as within the Zelda series, I'm going with the conservative bet that it ends up as the second highest rated Zelda game ever below OOT since that's where it currently lies with six reviews in already.

My expectations for skyward sword are off the charts. And perhaps for some of the same reasons as the rest of you, but also for reasons of my own. I have grown up on TLOZ. as a kid, that's what I played. I made wooden shields, and had a white kitana toy, that was my "white sword" from the original NES. so much nostalgic love for me there. I remember when ALTTP came out for the SNES, I thought it was weird. I mean, it rained!! My mind was blown all over again. I could crash into trees and knock out stuff? Who knew?? Then being in middle school after school computer club, gleening whatever I could about OOT. Nothing Zelda has done, has really let me down. except maybe Spirit tracks. but thats a different can of worms entirely.
But enough Nostalgia, I suppose. The main reason even above all that nostalgia I shared is simply this. I have pain stakingly shut myself off from learning much of anything about SS. I know we fly in the sky, apparently get a bird, and we get a musical instrument. I hear it's a harp now. That's what I know about it. and I don't wanna know much more, really. That way the thrill of EVERY discovery is new, and fresh to me. And to me, thats what makes Zelda. so hype? HUGE personal hype here.

I know what you mean Dekunub. I've seen more than I probably wanted to, so I've really recently kept myself from looking at any new spoiler videos or pictures these past couple of weeks. I want everything to be as fresh as possible as well. I know we've barely scratched the surface of this game with what's been shown, but still. I know that sometimes the little things can make the game and so I'm not going to let myself be spoiled anymore. I commend you for avoiding all that you have. I just wanted to see a little bit of what this game will have in store and what it'll be about. The biggest thing to try and avoid was all the enemy and boss details that have come up, as well as the locations of everything. I can't wait for everything and considering that this game is already finished and is just in the final stages of getting out to the public, I'm sure that we won't have the hype level letdown that Twilight Princess gave to us with all of its unused portions that were shown to us in trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom