• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword's Difficulty

shaymin1

Derp.
I got the game yesterday, I've been playing for some time, I'm at the Faron woods. I've defeated some Bokoblin and I found them to be quite a challenge for the first time. I was expecting the fight to be a lot easier, I was surprised when the Bokoblin successfully defended himself from a lot of my strikes. Is this normal or do I just suck?
Yeah, at the start Bokoblins took me about a minute each, but after a while you get the hang of it and it only takes about ten seconds. Its probably because you aren't used to the motion controls.

It was actually quite easy during my first playthrough. I was preforming somewhat of a rushed minimalist run, as I could only play over the weekend (a story for another time). Once I got into the flow of things, everything went rather smoothly. I got hung up on the part where Zelda gives Link the sailcloth, but that's about it as far as the beginning of the game goes.

Basic enemies can be easily dispatched if you catch on to their attack 'patterns.' This is especially true for Bokoblins. I admit, however, that the Lizalfos' speed overwhelmed me...and still does [noparse]:P[/noparse]. Later in the game, upgraded versions of many enemies began to appear - not only in new places, but in areas that must be backtracked - I had to change my MO a bit, but they stuck to the same attack patterns for the most part. I didn't have much difficulty there... To be perfectly honest many of the common enemies could be defeated by simply flailing wildly about (lol). The enemies in SS have a wide range of difficulty, as in most Zeldas.

The puzzles were a piece of cake for the most part, but there were moments when I had to pull out the old thinking cap. I'd attribute this to the fact that some of said puzzles were entirely new to the series - given the motion controls involved, so catching a snag once and a while was not unexpected. Those particular puzzles were a lot more time consuming than I'd liked - given my time constraint, I admit. (Sandship door thingy) Overall, the puzzles were easy to moderate.

The game's bosses ranged from easy to hair pulling for me, but it gets tricky. A good example of this was Koloktos. It had several 'substages' of battle that flowed in repeat. I could almost say it was the first of its kind in a 3D Zelda... (again, a story for another time) I'd say this gave it a difficulty ranging from easy to insanely difficult all in one battle. Ironically, I beat Koloktos with only three hearts remaining for most of said battle - no potions, no fairies, nada. The game's other bosses were a walk in the park for me, minus The Imprisoned p.2 and neither of them took me more than three tries. As I've stated before, SS bosses were tricky, as their difficulty sort of 'fluctuated' with each phase of battle.

The above covered enemies, puzzles, and bosses. There are some other components of the game, such as missions (water basin :mad:) and side quest (Fun Fun Island) on which I caught a bit of a snag, but they weren't too bad... Keep in mind, I spent most of my first play without a shield, a wonky Wii remote + and nunchuck, and pressure the from time constraints baring down on my shoulders. Despite this, I beat the game in roughly 50 hours; I have yet to take Hero Mode for a spin. Overall, in my opinion, I'd say the Skyward Sword's difficulty should roughly range from ridiculously easy to moderate for seasoned veterans, and moderate to hard for newcomers.

I thought it started out fairly difficult, but didn't ramp up the difficulty very much as the game progressed. The only time I died was in the first boss battle

I just started playing this game and am in the Skyview Temple. I could not for the life of me figure out the eye puzzle towards the beginning of the dungeon and had to use a walkthrough. I'm always amazed by people who can just play an entire game and never use a walkthrough even once. Don't laugh, but I had a hard time flying my Loftwing and not having it get stuck in the clouds.

I have found the motion controls otherwise pretty easy so far and knowing where to go next. Its pretty linear, like TP was.

I guess overall, I'm finding it somewhere in the middle in terms of difficulty.

Caige

Moves Like Jagger.
I just started playing this game and am in the Skyview Temple. I could not for the life of me figure out the eye puzzle towards the beginning of the dungeon and had to use a walkthrough. I'm always amazed by people who can just play an entire game and never use a walkthrough even once. Don't laugh, but I had a hard time flying my Loftwing and not having it get stuck in the clouds.

I have found the motion controls otherwise pretty easy so far and knowing where to go next. Its pretty linear, like TP was.

I guess overall, I'm finding it somewhere in the middle in terms of difficulty.

No lie, I was in the same boat, save the Loftwing issues. I had a lot of trouble with the first dungeon. I had to get their walkthrough when I got to the room where you raise the water and fight a Skulltula, because I didn't know how to do either of those things. I'm getting better at it now.

I feel that the game starts out a bit difficult because you're still getting used to the motion controls but as you grow accustomed to the controls (and upgrade your equipment) fights with regular monsters like the Bokbolins become much easier.

T

TND

I would say "challenging" might be the best word. I feel like once you get past the initial motion control learning curve, you're well on your way. I got stumped for a little bit on lots of different things, but it was nothing so difficult that made me want to stop playing or anything like that. That maybe one of the many reasons I enjoyed Skyward Sword so much. Since I've been gaming for quite some time, I like to be challenged, but not have insane difficulty rammed down my throat. That's not to say I don't like difficult games (like "Super Meat Boy"), but at least I CHOOSE to play those, knowing what I'm getting in to.

Honestly, the hardest parts of the game for me was the "Dodoh" Minigame (Where you fall through the rings) and the "Pumpkin Pull" minigame. I'm normally fantastic at minigames, but these just dominated me for a while. :(

At first it is very hard but once you get use to that enemy it becomes so much easier how ever once you get new enemy's ususaly in dungeons it will get a bit more hard trying to figure out there weakness with out dieing

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
You don't suck. Enemies are supposed to block. Don't worry if it's really hard. It usually means that it's your first time playing. But if this part is hard, wait until the final boss battle. But you should get better as the game progresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom