• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword's Diamond Theme

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Hey all,

So, after watching ALOT of Skyward Sword footage and watching the trailers, I've noticed that this game is full of diamonds.

I mean, Ghirahim has the diamond earring, his outfit is covered in diamonds, and he has the big red diamond attached to his hip. Phi is reflective like a diamond, has a big blue diamond in the middle of her chest, and her head is shaped like a diamond. That "Rauru" guy's shawl has diamonds on it, as well as the gold chain holding them in place. The switches seen in the demos are 4 diamonds put together, the top part of the teleporting statues (the ones that bring you back to Skyloft) is a diamond...

That's all i remember.

So, do you think this was intentional, does the diamond theme serve a bigger purpose? Or do you think it was just a REALLY weird coincidence?

Post your thoughts below...

Luigidude64

Suzune Supporter
Well, all Zelda games have a theme. This one just happens to have an overload of diamonds as it's theme. . .

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It could have some story importance, I doubt diamonds will be a major plot device but they could still mean something. Otherwise I think it could just be a design for a good part of the game. Nintendo doesn't really put "coincidences" in their games if they make a ton of apperances throughout that game. Usually they have some plot device aspect to them (Triforce in most Zelda games, for example) or they are references to older titles or special things to the devs (Yoshi Doll in Link's Awakening).

It's bothering me a little, it should be more subtle I think.

I think that the diamonds are a magical power source, but with more mundane usage. Maybe the ancient were proficient at using it's powers and used it to build amazing tech things, and eventually to levitate the land for escaping, or save a small portion, from the menace that came to the land bellow. Maybe Zelda, Link/Phi and Ghirarim are the only still able to leverage this power, or maybe it's still a mundane thing, that some people are able to use.

Zelda has a blue diamond on her chest, Phi has a blue diamond on her chest too (the SS has a small blue diamond on its guard) and Ghirarim has a blue diamond on his earring. Maybe it's a superior quality/purity diamond. While red diamond are spotted in more common places (Ghirarim belt and dungeon switches).

Maybe its a red x blue thing, like magnetics.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I'm thinking they're introducing a new strain of magic. Most games have the Triforce, the FSS and ST have Force Gems, and now SS will have diamonds. These diamonds will also link to spirits like Phi, (possibly Ghirahim), the Fairy of Winds in TP, and maybe others that existed in other games but didn't actually appear. They're prevalent in SS because that's the era the magic was most used, like how Force Gems are prevalent in FSA but not in LttP. That's just some heavy speculation/fantasizing though, and I'll probably be disappointed.

IHNo

The Other Side
I believe the purple switch with the supposed Sheikah symbol was also a diamond as well.... It is rather weird that diamonds make such a bold appearance. I suspect the theme has depth to it, something along the lines of magic (like others above me have been suggesting), but it's hard to say because there's really nothing to go on this other than the fact that diamonds are indeed appearing throughout the game quite a lot. I don't think Nintendo would just throw them in there and leave their presence unexplained, but I don't think it's something groundbreaking to the plot either. We can only wonder.

Teal

Useful Help.
It may have a role in the Story itself or it's just Nintendo making a dimamond theme but if it's apart of the story i would be intrested.

Teal.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think perhaps with Ghirahim there will be a meaning behind it. However I doubt that the ''Rauru'' guy's shawl actually has any connection though and is just a decorative pattern.

...referring to the diamond shape that both Phi and Lord Ghirahim share. While Lord Ghirahim's is red, Phi's is blue; these two colors are usually contrasts to one another. I wonder what exactly could this signify, if anything.
There's also the red diamond on the hilt of Lord Ghirahim's black rapier (sword). LG's sword can't just coincidentally be the evil opposite of Link's Master Sword (in a way), can it? Hmm...

Would Lord Ghirahim's army(?) all have the red diamond somewhere on their body or clothing, and would allies from the good side (Link's) have the blue ones? I wonder where Lord Ghirahim's blue earring would fit into this, if it proves to be the case.

I'm thinking they're introducing a new strain of magic. Most games have the Triforce, the FSS and ST have Force Gems, and now SS will have diamonds. These diamonds will also link to spirits like Phi, (possibly Ghirahim), the Fairy of Winds in TP, and maybe others that existed in other games but didn't actually appear. They're prevalent in SS because that's the era the magic was most used, like how Force Gems are prevalent in FSA but not in LttP. That's just some heavy speculation/fantasizing though, and I'll probably be disappointed.
This could very well be true, as the diamonds have a confirmed importance in the game's plot. I think you're onto something here.

For me would be quite lame to have diamonds all over the place for a tangential importance in the story only. They aren't even cool.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, the diamond symbol is obviously very important to the plot. In fact, I'm quite certain Ghirahim's earring is the reason one of his ears is pointed and the other one isn't. And notice that Zelda has a diamond on her dress. It could be that Ghirahim is after this, and that's why he's after her.

That's what i've said, but thinking more about it, I'm certain that's not so simple as taking the diamond.

In the encounter with Link on the Sky Temple he ignores Link even after acknowledging the power of the skyward sword, and clearly say that he is after the girl (he even refer to her as "holiness"), stack it with what Aonuma mentioned about Zelda's fate.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
There's also the red diamond on the hilt of Lord Ghirahim's black rapier (sword). LG's sword can't just coincidentally be the evil opposite of Link's Master Sword (in a way), can it? Hmm...

Would Lord Ghirahim's army(?) all have the red diamond somewhere on their body or clothing, and would allies from the good side (Link's) have the blue ones? I wonder where Lord Ghirahim's blue earring would fit into this, if it proves to be the case.
I like this idea. I mean, this makes the most sense.
A diamond points Up and down.
Skyloft (Up) - Hyrule (Down).
Very simple yet very logical. Great thinking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom