• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword, Will It Be Game of the Year?

IllehNylund

Mr. Hermelin
Skyward Sword have just been getting higher and higher review scores. It's the most anticipated Wii game ever! It has also been nominated for Game of the Year together with games Like Skyrim and Portal 2. But the question is... will it win?

I personally don't think it will win:(. Reason is that it will probably not be as epic or good as Skyrim(but still really close). Skyrim is supposed to be HUGE! So i think that Skyrim will be Game of the Year. But I think Skyward will be really close to Skyrim probably getting Second or third. But i still hope for Skyward soar up to the first place. Im really looking forward to playing both Skyrim and Skyward.

Comment who you think will win Game of the Year.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
Yeah, Skyrim is Skyward Sword's competition, really, as they are both the most anticipated adventure games, but as a Zelda fan, I'm inclined/biased to think that SS will be better. The Zelda series really have been the pinnacle of games the entire time it's existed, from the very beginning. It's just that today, many stupid teens for some reason like being ripped of with new games that are exactly the same as the past game in the series (ie, COD games being the same everytime with the same game engine and physics, just with "new" maps). These games kinda overshadow the real good games, as too many teens are stupid and buy them and too many younger gamers follow the teens to try to be "cool". Zelda games are completely different everytime, but that's the beauty of it - the games, even though they are completely different games, they fit together into the awesomeness that is the Zelda universe.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
There was a thread not too long back that asked this question, to which I replied several contenders, but now since some have been released, the group of viable winners for GOTY has narrowed.

Essentially, the competition lies in:

Uncharted 3 (though not aggregately better than the sequel, still a very well received game),

Portal 2 (stunningly brilliant, a great improvement over the first Portal, which was brilliant THEN, but the game's limited by its genre somewhat),

Batman Arkham City (currently the best reviewed game this year, and an improvement of a very, very good Batman Game one or two years back)

Skyrim (not released yet, but definitely has potential and an uber fanbase).

That's it. Battlefield and COD have too much franchise fatigue on their shoulders, Dark Souls is way too niche, and not as new as when Demon Souls came around, Deus Ex wasn't the best, it was great, but not the best, Assassins Creed, though not out yet, is suffering from franchise fatigue, and all the sporting and driving games this year have been great, but they never win.

A funny thing about GOTY is that there's a distinct bias towards action oriented games. You don't normally get puzzles or platformers or driving or soccer or FPS or social games winning, you normally get the games where you are a character and you're running through the world doing something.

This is prime Zelda territory right here, it's also Batman, Skyrim, Uncharted and AC territory. Portal 2 is awesome, so awesome in fact that it may buck the trend of the action GOTYs.

But Zelda is innovative, it's fresh, it's poetically lined up to be the last great game on the wii and the first real Zelda for the wii, it's also very well reviewed so far, and Zelda has a pedigree for this sort of stuff.

My prediction: Zelda wins for most people, Batman and Portal 2 for some, or runner ups.

That was longer than I expected.

Kazumi

chagy
While it sounds to me from all of the previews that Skyward Sword is an excellent game, and is a huge step up from Nintendo's last major effort (Twilight Princess), it still won't be able to top games such as Skyrim, Portal 2, Deus Ex:HR, Halo Anniversary, ect. Those games cater to a much wider audience, and will be appreciated by a lot more people. While Skyward Sword will be loved and played by Zelda fans, the number of fans that will play a game such as Skyrim outweighs it. Skyrim will not only have dedicated Elder Scrolls fans, but also RPG fans and open-world adventure fans who will play it and love it.

In addition to this, while it's still early to say, I'm not sure that I even think Skyward Sword deserves GOTY. While I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I love the series for it's enjoyable yet challenging game play, Skyrim just has more raw content, and seems a lot more fleshed out. It may just be that I'm getting older, but when I look at games I look for depth and details, and that's an area that the Zelda series is a bit lacking in. Again, it's too early to say. Maybe SS will be the first Zelda to have this depth and detail that I'm looking for. From the previews it sure sounds like it has more of it.

And you have to remember, Game of the Year is a very opinionated concept. I'm sure lots of people, even press, will think that Skyward Sword deserves GOTY. I just don't think that overall, it will be viewed as GOTY. However, it will definitely be a contender.

There was a thread not too long back that asked this question, to which I replied several contenders, but now since some have been released, the group of viable winners for GOTY has narrowed.

Essentially, the competition lies in:

Uncharted 3 (though not aggregately better than the sequel, still a very well received game),

Portal 2 (stunningly brilliant, a great improvement over the first Portal, which was brilliant THEN, but the game's limited by its genre somewhat),

Batman Arkham City (currently the best reviewed game this year, and an improvement of a very, very good Batman Game one or two years back)

Skyrim (not released yet, but definitely has potential and an uber fanbase).

That's it. Battlefield and COD have too much franchise fatigue on their shoulders, Dark Souls is way too niche, and not as new as when Demon Souls came around, Deus Ex wasn't the best, it was great, but not the best, Assassins Creed, though not out yet, is suffering from franchise fatigue, and all the sporting and driving games this year have been great, but they never win.

A funny thing about GOTY is that there's a distinct bias towards action oriented games. You don't normally get puzzles or platformers or driving or soccer or FPS or social games winning, you normally get the games where you are a character and you're running through the world doing something.

This is prime Zelda territory right here, it's also Batman, Skyrim, Uncharted and AC territory. Portal 2 is awesome, so awesome in fact that it may buck the trend of the action GOTYs.

But Zelda is innovative, it's fresh, it's poetically lined up to be the last great game on the wii and the first real Zelda for the wii, it's also very well reviewed so far, and Zelda has a pedigree for this sort of stuff.

My prediction: Zelda wins for most people, Batman and Portal 2 for some, or runner ups.

That was longer than I expected.

This post hits everything spot on. Uncharted 3 isn't as acclaimed as its predecessor, Portal 2 is great but only greatly improved upon its sequel-nothing revolutionary, The Elder Scrolls has always been liked but never enough to win GOTY among critics. It will be a battle between The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Batman: Arkham City. Oh and for the record, Skyward Sword is currently the highest rated game of the year.

Sources:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/960633-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/index.html

While it sounds to me from all of the previews that Skyward Sword is an excellent game, and is a huge step up from Nintendo's last major effort (Twilight Princess), it still won't be able to top games such as Skyrim, Portal 2, Deus Ex:HR, Halo Anniversary, ect. Those games cater to a much wider audience, and will be appreciated by a lot more people. While Skyward Sword will be loved and played by Zelda fans, the number of fans that will play a game such as Skyrim outweighs it. Skyrim will not only have dedicated Elder Scrolls fans, but also RPG fans and open-world adventure fans who will play it and love it.

In addition to this, while it's still early to say, I'm not sure that I even think Skyward Sword deserves GOTY. While I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I love the series for it's enjoyable yet challenging game play, Skyrim just has more raw content, and seems a lot more fleshed out. It may just be that I'm getting older, but when I look at games I look for depth and details, and that's an area that the Zelda series is a bit lacking in. Again, it's too early to say. Maybe SS will be the first Zelda to have this depth and detail that I'm looking for. From the previews it sure sounds like it has more of it.

And you have to remember, Game of the Year is a very opinionated concept. I'm sure lots of people, even press, will think that Skyward Sword deserves GOTY. I just don't think that overall, it will be viewed as GOTY. However, it will definitely be a contender.

I don't understand your thinking. Game of the Year is the best. most revolutionary game, not the one with the greatest fan base.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Elder Scrolls has always been liked but never enough to win GOTY among critics.
There is a game of the year edition of elder scrolls 4 oblivion. I take that to mean that it was actually game of the year.

That's it. Battlefield and COD have too much franchise fatigue on their shoulders, Dark Souls is way too niche, and not as new as when Demon Souls came around, Deus Ex wasn't the best,

I agree about Battlefield and COD. COD I know is just rehashed game play and graphics every single time, they never do anything new, just invent a new terrorist organisation to kill, but Deus ex was an amazing game, it had great atmosphere good visuals an intriguing plot and fun game play. I'm surprised it was not on the list of contenders.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Nevertheless when Oblivion released in 2006, Twilight Princess, Gears of War, and Okami took home more GOTY awards.

Still It did win some awards. Twilight princess came out with the most and highest scores of course. Oblivion was buggy and visuals were poor though, skyrim looks top notch and people are very excited. Lets hope Skyward sword can be in the same position this year as TP was in 2006.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
This post hits everything spot on. Uncharted 3 isn't as acclaimed as its predecessor, Portal 2 is great but only greatly improved upon its sequel-nothing revolutionary, The Elder Scrolls has always been liked but never enough to win GOTY among critics. It will be a battle between The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Batman: Arkham City. Oh and for the record, Skyward Sword is currently the highest rated game of the year.

Sources:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/960633-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/index.html

Technically, you're correct. Except Skyward Sword has only 4 reviews, Batman has been released and has an industry of reviews behind it. I didn't want to jump the gun and proclaim it the best game of the year so far because it hasn't come out yet.

Nevertheless, I would not count out Skyrim, it has the most hype behind it of its entire franchise, and if it does turn out to be something special, other than a great game that we know it will be, then we may have a fight on out hands.

I just think Skyward Sword will win out of sheer poetic justice.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Nevertheless, I would not count out Skyrim, it has the most hype behind it of its entire franchise, and if it does turn out to be something special, other than a great game that we know it will be, then we may have a fight on out hands.

Yeah, but it may be very glitchy when it comes out, and the bugs may prevent it from becoming GOTY.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The closer it gets to release-time, I'd say Skyward Sword will. A lot of people may be having their doubts about it, but it's true quality will emerge as that time approaches. Arkham, Skyrim, and Portal had best watch out for it.

Technically, you're correct. Except Skyward Sword has only 4 reviews, Batman has been released and has an industry of reviews behind it. I didn't want to jump the gun and proclaim it the best game of the year so far because it hasn't come out yet.

I just think Skyward Sword will win out of sheer poetic justice.

Arkham City currently has a 96 on Metacritic (PS3 version). That is the low end for GOTY. Let's see this generation's GOTYs:

2006:

Twilight Princess-96

2007:

Super Mario Galaxy-97

2008:

Grand Theft Auto IV-98

2009:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves-96

2010:

Super Mario Galaxy 2-97

Also it's intelligent for Nintendo to release Skyward Sword aftyer this year's other big name games because that will leave the most recent impression on critics.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Arkham City currently has a 96 on Metacritic (PS3 version). That is the low end for GOTY. Let's see this generation's GOTYs:

2006:

Twilight Princess-96

2007:

Super Mario Galaxy-97

2008:

Grand Theft Auto IV-98

2009:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves-96

2010:

Super Mario Galaxy 2-97

Also it's intelligent for Nintendo to release Skyward Sword aftyer this year's other big name games because that will leave the most recent impression on critics.

I definitely agree with '06's Game of the Year. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom