• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Wasn't Completely Dumbed Down...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It lacks a Super Guide. Does anyone feel the game could use a super guide? I do; there are so many levels that are so bloody hard and of course all the enemies are super tough and I get hit/kiled a lot. Perhaps Fi could have a Super Guide option, what do you think? I think it'd be fitting for an encyclopedia such as herself!

I don't think Skyward Sword was "dumbed" down and to say so is to turn your back to the over five years the very best at Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters put into crafting this monument for the franchise's 25th Anniversary. Skyward Sword is a great game. It isn't my favorite in the franchise but it definitely soars in numerous areas. The installment boasted a vivid art style, the most dynamic NPCs since Majora's Mask, a fully orchestrated soundtrack, a boss battle mode in the form of the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round, numerous sidequests, and blending of dungeons with overworld with a particular emphasis on combat and puzzles in both.

With respect to the Super Guide feature itself Miyamoto and Aonuma have maintained that they felt the feature wouldn't suit a Zelda game. Part of the joy the series brings is in progressing through your own wits. The compromise was therefore taken to include the Sheikah Stone in Skyloft, much alone the lines of those found near Link's abode in the Kokiri Forest and Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time 3D.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
Fi tells you to do the complete obvious.

So did Navi, if you remember.

The game wasn't dumbed down any more than OoT 3D, which also had those stupid Shiekah Stones.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
What makes them stupid (in either game)? They're completely optional. Why complain about them if they're not forced upon you?

Because then completing the game isn't as much as an achievement. Noobs get the bragging rights for beating the game, even if they cheated the entire way through. It's like a strategy guide, but built into the frickin' game. It's stupid. Besides, beating a game by yourself is at least ten times (no exaggeration) more satisfying than using a guide. People shouldn't be given the choice.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Because then completing the game isn't as much as an achievement. Noobs get the bragging rights for beating the game, even if they cheated the entire way through. It's like a strategy guide, but built into the frickin' game. It's stupid. Besides, beating a game by yourself is at least ten times (no exaggeration) more satisfying than using a guide. People shouldn't be given the choice.

Strategy guides aren't cheating. They exist for people that can't figure the game out on their own, and there's nothing wrong with that. Calling people that use strategy guides "noobs" is very rude and inconsiderate. Maybe someone just isn't as good at video games. Maybe that someone needs help. Hey, instead of going online, said person has a Shiekah Stone! Nothing wrong with that period. Games are meant to be completed, and not letting someone have help when he or she needs it is just wrong. Shiekah Stones aren't stupid. They're a great idea. If you don't want the hints, here's what you do: don't use them. It's as simple as that. Complaining about the Shiekah Stones is pointless and, honestly, pretty whiny.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
Strategy guides aren't cheating. They exist for people that can't figure the game out on their own, and there's nothing wrong with that. Calling people that use strategy guides "noobs" is very rude and inconsiderate. Maybe someone just isn't as good a video games. Maybe that someone needs help. Hey, instead of going online, said persona has a Shiekah Stone! Nothing wrong with that period. Games are meant to be completed, and not letting someone have help when he or she needs it is just wrong. Shiekah Stones aren't stupid. They're a great idea. If you don't want the hints, here's what you do: don't use them. It's as simple as that. Complaining about the Shiekah Stones is pointless and, honestly, pretty whiny.

I didn't mean to imply that people who use strategy guides for their intended purposes are noobs. But there are people who use guides to walk through (walkthough; heh) every moment of a game, and the Shiekah Stones just encourage that. Sorry for acting arrogant; I just meant to state my opinion. :/

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I didn't mean to imply that people who use strategy guides for their intended purposes are noobs. But there are people who use guides to walk through (walkthough; heh) every moment of a game, and the Shiekah Stones just encourage that. Sorry for acting arrogant; I just meant to state my opinion.

I agree that using the Shiekah Stones intentionally every step of the way is pretty... idk the word, but it's still not legit cheating. Cheating is when you start bringing glitches into the mix.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
I agree that using the Shiekah Stones intentionally every step of the way is pretty... idk the word, but it's still not legit cheating. Cheating is when you start bringing glitches into the mix.

But I assume you still see my point.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Glitches isn't inherently cheating, and they aren't inherently bad. Regardless, I still support Skyward Sword having a Super Guide option. Sheikah Stones didn't tell us EVERYTHING, but a Super Guide could. They could even give us a demo of every enemy in the game, which allows us not so good players to uber pwn those baddies. Yes or no? I think yes.

And why would you say no? After all,
Strategy guides aren't cheating. They exist for people that can't figure the game out on their own, and there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe someone just isn't as good at video games. Games are meant to be completed, and not letting someone have help when he or she needs it is just wrong.
that coming from JJ means a lot to me. It shows, to me, that he does in fact support Super Guide in SS, or at least a future Zelda title. There ARE people that aren't good at the game, and super guide should be there to save the day.

[insert ellipses where needed in JJ's quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom