• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword Tying Up a Few Loose Ends, but Creating Way More?!

jugglaj91

I am me....
Yeah the ending is pretty messed up. But the game still fulfilled its role of prequel well. It may give a backstory for the land, but this game shows us the first hero, the first Zelda, the source of all evil, the original resting place of the Triforce, the creation of the Master Sword, and the birth of the royal family, Hyrule, and the beginning of the Hylian race. So it may not show us the beginning of the land, but it shows us the beginning of the legend.

Also, Lanayru was dry because the original demon onslaught dryed up much of the land. That, and the people and robots who used to live there used up all of the natural resources in the area.

Well i am not so sure about the first of anything. The Legend of Zelda itself I thought came from a greedy sibling who put her to sleep. So unless this "legend" comes later (or sooner. No idea). Still there is still more to be had dealing with this.

As stated by Nintendo this game is a prequel game and NOT the first in the series. They didn't want to tie themselves down by saying this game came first because then they could not go any further back if need be.

As for where things went and why places are how they are, well that is just geography. Places change over time, things erode and/or decompose and nothing remains. Well that would be what reality says, but a lot of made up things for fantasy games and the like do take from reality in a lot of ways so that is my take on that.

As for the plant, I am not that far but based on other games trees in Zelda seem to take a while to grow, especially if there is a curse around or in play. In OoT it took 7 years for the Deku Sprout to pop up. Obviously that isn't anywhere close to how fast trees really grow. Again this is just an opinion for now, as I am not that far.

As for the time paradox thing, Link was/is on an adventure. When he returns things are changed in some ways, but he can just not be on or go on his adventure. That in itself would create the paradox. But obviously some things from the past are still going to emulate themselves in the present. in OoT Link went on an adventure, he was sent back to relive his childhood which means he didn't need to set out on one, but he still had already gone on one regardless. That is how it works.

I apologize for sounding semi-ignorant to some things as I haven't completed the game, but have read/seen enough to have some opinions of my own so far. Hopefully I am onto something and not way off here. Some things I am sure I am off on but some things have to have some validity.

This is exactly how the time travel with Ocarina of Time works though. How can people honestly criticize this when it's a direct lift from OoT?
You go back in time, plant a tree that previously wasn't there, head back to you time and there is the tree. Time has been altered and the tree has now always been there
In OoT, you go to the future, see that you need a plant to get somewhere, go back to your time, plant a sapling, head back to the future and there it is.

You are simply altering time. Now it may well be that every time Link alters the past, he is creating a separate timeline. However I much prefer to think of it in a Doctor Who style of time travel. And that is that when time is altered, it takes measures to try and cover over that fact. However sometimes, it simply can't. Hence, the split timeline in OoT. The only way it could deal with the damage done was to separate the events into two different universes.

I honestly can't see a way to explain the ending of SS without a split. However, I've only played it through once. Hopefully my Hero's mode playthrough will give me some ideas.
But in that case, it wasn't part of the plot. You can assume that you were supposed to plant something there before traveling through time, but Nintendo wanted to cut you some slack.

There can't be a split in SS. When you first see old Impa, she has the bracelet Zelda gave her at the end. That cannot happen without Link sealing Demise with the Master Sword.

I guess you could say that somehow, the tree wasn't known to Link and Groose. If it were, Link wouldn't have planted it there and it wouldn't be there. Maybe Hylia did something to make it appear not to be there, so that Link would plant it there in the past. That's the thing about these paradoxes, they can't stop being paradoxical.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
So we learn that all the water in Hyrule is provided by the river flowing through Hyrule Field into Lake Hylia from Zora's Fountain. And Zora's fountain is the resting place of the water spirit Jabu Jabu. We learn from TP that the main area of Hyrule and Hyrule field is in Lanayru Province. Well the time that SS takes place there is no river flowing from the north, no Zora to maintain the water Temple, and no fountain or Jabu Jabu to provide the water for the Lanayru/field region. Therefore it is desert at that point. It seems possible that Jabu Jabu and the Zora that came later are what really made life possible for Lanayru which is a desert in this game. This could also be why Ganondorf froze the domain and attacked the Water Temple, it could be to control of all the water in Hyrule.

They most likely did indeed come later, seeing as we saw no trace of the Zora race, even with the timeshifts.

The boss being killed is what splits the timelines.
At that point there is one timeline where Demise is killed in ancient times (without Zelda needing to stay imprisoned for so long), and one timeline where he is killed through Link's Triforce wish (where she does). However, without the original timeline, the alternate timeline could never had existed. Therefore certain things HAD to happen before the alternate timeline could be brought into effect. I.e. Zelda locking herself away, Ghirahim intervening etc

There's no paradox in that.

Also, I wouldn't agree that Twilight Princess explained nothing about the timeline. It explained how Ganon was captured and eventually brought to 'justice' in the child timeline as well showing that the tri-force was still active and functioning away from the sacred realm.

Like I said in my first post, a lot of the fun in Zelda comes from figuring out the confusions. They may well not suit you, but that isn't what the Zelda series is about. It certainly isn't evidence of poor planning. Try to keep an open mind and you may well find that you can come to enjoy the intricacies that come with Zelda storylines.

I would have to disagree and just say that if killing demise made a split than why is the bracelet and tree still there and not in a different timeline?

someone mentioned OoT having the plant scenerio, but the time line wasn't split until Zelda sent him back at the end of the game everything else happened before with the magic seeds.

I guess what someone mentioned about the Zora can be true that they haven't made their appearance yet to flood the desert. Nintendo should make a sequal to Skyward Sword explaining all the left out details and the citizens of skyloft slowly changing the land below to be livable.

I totally disagree. When Nintendo makes a Zelda game, they make sure the gameplay is PERFECT. Anything less would be a disgrace to the franchise. Don't tell me the gameplay of SS is bad. Don't listen to Tom McShea. SS doesn't use the Wii Remote pointer at all. In fact, you can hold the Wii Remote in any position you want. All you have to do is recenter the cursor once you've gotten it in the position you want. Nintendo wants to make a PERFECT experience, not so much a PERFECT story. Story and timeline placement are decided last when they make Zelda games. I never payed attention to the "story" of ALttP, OoX, LA, or PH. They don't necessarily make sense. The only one with a "definite" timeline placement is PH. I think that SS is an AMAZING game. You should never expect Zelda games to have a story that ties up ALL the loose ends. I don't even remember Nintendo saying the game did. I remember them saying it tied up a lot of loose ends, but, by no means, all of them. You said the tree should've already been grown. It was. It was just grown in dry, dry Lanayru and didn't bear any fruit. You had to plant it in the Sealed Temple in the past because it was an optimum environment and had plenty of time to grow. You could take the fruit back in time to the "Lanayru Golden Age" and help out the Thunder Dragon. I will admit that the ending is a mind-****, but I will disagree also. The reason Link couldn't pull the Master Sword out of the Pedestal was because he wasn't ready, and he had to put it there himself. The Master Sword didn't exist in the past, so Link had to bring it back in time. If you thought that Nintendo would tie up all the loose ends without making new ones, then you have forgotten the Zelda formula. That's what all the games do. Did you not notice that SS must take place AFTER OoT considering Impa's present age. Maybe I've been mind-****ed even worse than you, but that's the whole point. It's not supposed to put all of the Zelda story into a concrete state. If it did, they wouldn't be able to make anymore games. We all know how much that would suck. Forgive my rant, but it had to be done.

And they should not make a sequel.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Did you not notice that SS must take place AFTER OoT considering Impa's present age.
Actually, It has been stated MANY times before, this game comes at the earliest point in the timeline so far. And it cannot take place after OoT otherwise no one would have known about the Master Sword, even with the messed up ending of time travel and splits. Besides, loose ends will ALWAYS be there. Even if Zelda as a franchise ends, there is so much already that makes a lot of theories false and true at the same time.

What juggla91 said is true or did everyone forget the Zelda series has had many Impas not just OoT. and Kogamo did you now post that same thing in the staff chat?

K

KornGP47

What threw me off was that what you did in the past didn't change the future. Only on some characters and other stuff. Why didn't that happen much like Oracle of Ages? I do believe there are loose ends in Skyward Sword. So I hope that Nintendo DOES fill these holes that keep opening up.

I wouldn't see why much would change if things in the past were changed in this game. Think of it this way... How many people were involved in the past in SS? All of what... 6? Link, Zelda, Groose, Impa, Ghirahim, and Demise. Skyloft is far from everything on the surface so the events here aren't going to affect anything there. Hylia had all of this planned out so it's not surprising that nothing really changed. As far as the tree? think of it this way. The tree was planted before Demise's death, so it's going to be there and will forever be in the memories of all involved. The Master Sword is put into the pedestal in the past and so there it appears in the present when they come back but it wasn't there until it's placed there. This kind of aids in my theory that the Master Sword is a divine weapon that is somewhat "immune" to the natural flows of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom