• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword & Twilight Princess: First Impressions

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
So I did end up getting SS and TP for Christmas yesterday, made me super happy! :D

Anyways, I've never really played either game before, and I'm right before the first dungeons on each game. So I thought I'd give my first impressions on each game. No spoilers please.

TWILIGHT PRINCESS

PROS SO FAR: Okay, I HAVE played this game before, but I didn't get far enough to really think of anything about the game. I have the Wii version of the game, and so far I'm actually really liking the Ordon Village area. I like the art style of the game and I think this game would be pretty freaking awesome if it was upscaled to HD. I love having Epona at the beginning of the game. I like the way Link looks also.

I basically agree here, as these were my first impressions as well. I have the Wii version, and once I stepped foot in Ordon I was in love. The village was so serene, calm, and quaint. I actually liked the graphics, it gave the game a more realistic feel. I really liked TP Link, and I thought Epona was nice to have from the get-go.

CONS SO FAR: Illia. Worst love interest ever. She's such a brat! Acts like Epona is her horse. Pssh. I also don't like the controls. The swinging of the Wii Remote makes sense and feels more comfortable in Skyward Sword, but with Twilight Princess I have to constantly shake the remote and I find it a little tedious. If there's a way to switch slashing to a button, please tell me how!

Wasn't fond of Illia either, and I didn't think she was even close to being pretty. I got used to the controls pretty quickly, so I didn't mind them so much. I didn't have too many problems with the game until I met Midna. I also thought Talo, Malo, Beth, and Colin were all pretty annoying.

SKYWARD SWORD

PROS SO FAR: The cutscenes and animations are really REALLY good. I like how the characters show more emotion in their faces. Plus there's FINALLY some chemistry between Link & Zelda. It's about time. Dashing was a much-needed feature and I am loving it.

I loved the opening cut scenes, and I loved Skyloft.... Thaaaat's about all I can say for now.

CONS SO FAR: FLYING. UGH. I can't stand controlling my Loftwing. It took me 15 minutes or so to get the statuette from the golden bird. I'm sort of getting the hang of it, but the controls still suck. Fi is really annoying and says things that are blatantly obvious. I hope she's more useful further into the game. The game is also really slow right now. The Faron Woods are already getting old. Finding the Kikwis, I thought, was a pointless essential side quest. I'm really hoping things pick up once I enter the first dungeon.

The beginning is long, boring, tedious, and I disliked it just as much as the next person. It took me a while to understand the controls, but regardless if I got the hang of them, I was still having problems. Fi is definitely repetitive when it comes to pointing out the obvious, but you may grow to like her as the game progresses. Yes, some of the side quests aren't the best, but they're still entertaining. I wasn't too fond of Zelda, in fact, I wasn't fond of most of characters (Groose, Cawlin, Pipit, ect).

That's about all I can say, really. Both games weren't that bad, in fact I ended up liking both of them. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
1) Chus that small (early game) have nothing to join back together with.

And?

2) If you swing fast enough, it doesn't matter what direction you swing in. You can destroy them before they rejoin. In fact, I prefer this method with electric chus because they are destroyed before they reapply their electric current.

Yeah, but you have to have precise timing. Too slow or too fast and it won't work.

3) After playing this game 7 times, I find swinging randomly to be more effective against Bokoblins than bothering to even try and read their movements. Better yet, stay out of range and knock them down.

Waggling doesn't work. You're just used to the combat. Staying out of range and knocking them down is also one of the many examples of the combat's depth (it's one of the numerous ways to take them out).

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

And that makes your point null.

Yeah, but you have to have precise timing. Too slow or too fast and it won't work.

Too slow? Yes. Too fast? No.

Waggling doesn't work.

Yes it does. Though I am almost positive that trying to figure out which way to slash those things is doomed to fail. Regardless, I find waggling easier, whether you waggle or try to discern which way to swing, you'll probably hit them on the 4th swing (goddess sword) with no threat of them fighting back.

Last edited:
And that makes your point null.

Too slow? Yes. Too fast? No.

Yes it does. Though I am almost positive that trying to figure out which way to slash those things is doomed to fail.

Lol waggling really doesn't work. yes u can waggle ur way through the game, but ur going to end up with imprecise motion controls in SS if u do waggle

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Yes it does. Though I am almost positive that trying to figure out which way to slash those things is doomed to fail. Regardless, I find waggling easier, whether you waggle or try to discern which way to swing, you'll probably hit them on the 4th swing (goddess sword) with no threat of them fighting back.

So you get your attacks blocked more than you hit when you waggle? My point exactly. The game is designed to discourage waggling. You'd get things done a lot faster if you played the game properly.

DarkestLink

Lol waggling really doesn't work. yes u can waggle ur way through the game, but ur going to end up with imprecise motion controls in SS if u do waggle

Who said the game? I'm talking about Bokoblins.

So you get your attacks blocked more than you hit when you waggle? My point exactly. The game is designed to discourage waggling. You'd get things done a lot faster if you played the game properly.

I got blocked more than I hit if I went up to fight period. In fact, I was more likely to hit if I waggled. Trying to make precise movements took too long for Bokoblins and I got the job done faster with waggling. Looking at other videos, I see I'm not alone. Even the ZD guide seems to be mostly waggling.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I got blocked more than I hit if I went up to fight period. In fact, I was more likely to hit if I waggled. Trying to make precise movements took too long for Bokoblins and I got the job done faster with waggling. Looking at other videos, I see I'm not alone. Even the ZD guide seems to be mostly waggling.

Then you haven't mastered the combat. I rarely have my attacks blocked because reading their defenses has become second nature to me.

DarkestLink

Then you haven't mastered the combat. I rarely have my attacks blocked because reading their defenses has become second nature to me.

I'm sure you have...

Well normally I'd ask you to show me a video of what you're doing, but I'm content with any video "doing it right". Oh and remember, goddess sword, no upgrades.

DarkestLink

What do you mean by this?

I'm not going to acknowledge your "correct way" of doing this if it's with an upgraded sword that can cut through their defenses instantly. Oh and when you say "rarely", I think 10% or less. But I'll be generous and take 20%

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm not going to acknowledge your "correct way" of doing this if it's with an upgraded sword that can cut through their defenses instantly. Oh and when you say "rarely", I think 10% or less. But I'll be generous and take 20%

Only the True Master Sword knocks Bokoblins back even if they block an attack.

And rarely meaning probably 5%. But I'm really good at this game. I've played it to no end.

DarkestLink

Only the True Master Sword knocks Bokoblins back even if they block an attack.

And rarely meaning probably 5%. But I'm really good at this game. I've played it to no end.

Well I'm still interested in any video you or someone else may have of killing bokoblins...even 6if that isn't the focus. Because, I confess, I too have been under the impression I was doing it wrong after 11 replays. It's haunted me. I've looked at guides and Let's Plays, but as far as I can tell, it looks like waggling to me. It's the same pattern at any rate

Block block block slash succession dead
block block block slash succession dead
Block block slash succession dead
Block block block slash succession dead
Block block block block slash succession dead
Block slash succession dead

The only time this doesn't seem to happen is when

A) They shield bashed and killed it.

:cool: They hit it out of range and killed it.

or

C) In a group of Bokoblins, after killing their target Bokoblin, they swing so fast that the succeeding Bokoblin(s) do not have time to raise a defense.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
DarkestLink and JuicieJ, you don't have to keep defending your points. You two just play the game differently, that's all, there's nothing wrong with that! :) I personally try to read the Bokoblin's defense patterns and swing accordingly.

So I've beaten the first dungeons on both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword now. Skyview Temple was fairly straightforward, but harder than The Deku Tree which is the first Zelda dungeon I've ever been in. I had a VERY hard time with Ghirahim. He kept taking out my shield's health (and mine as well) whenever I tried to block him. Isn't there a way to block him when he charges that ends up stunning him? I ended up beating him by constantly deflecting the spiky things back at him. Pretty nooby right?

I hated the TP Forest Temple. Wow, those monkeys were super annoying and that dungeon was a very long first dungeon. Before I got the boomerang the freaking floor tile monsters kept knocking me over! If I tried to avoid one I stepped on another. Am I just terrible at Zelda? XD

Anyways, I have decided to finish Twilight Princess before I get any farther into Skyward Sword. It came out first and I think that playing two Zelda games at once takes away part of the experience, like cutscenes and such.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Isn't there a way to block him when he charges that ends up stunning him?

Yup! What you're looking for is the overpowered Shield Bash, which as you must know is only available when you have a shield equipped. When you Z-Target an enemy, thrust the nunchuk forward (without moving the Wiimote) and you will shield bash! You have to time it so that it connects with Ghirahim's slash; you have a few frames before his sword connects with Link in order to deflect it! :D

Happy trails!

Fi does become more useful toward the end in my opinion. I like Fi better than Navi because Fi is like a computer and can tell you almost anything you want. I do like that they had some chemistry between Link and Zelda. i like flying the Loftwing, but I wish the islands were closer together. I do like the graphics, but I absolutely love TP's style of graphics. I do agree with you about Illia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom