• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword--the Art Style

A lot of people have been commenting on it, so it makes sense for there to be a thread for it. What are your thoughts on the art style of SS?

I've actually wanted to see an art style like this for a while. I was thinking that it would look great for a "Lord of the Rings" animated series (hee hee, I'm a dork). But it looks just as good for a Zelda game. The "painted" look is just beautiful. Nintendo has been known for taking risks with new ideas, and this looks to shape up just as well as using the cell shading to begin with.

I'm a fan of it. From what I've seen it looks great. It looks smooth, bright, and very unique. I'm not too fond of the way Link's face looks though haha.

G

Goroff

I think it may be my favorite art style of the series graphically (unless were including the wii u demo)

A

Albo

it's absoloutely beautiful, unique and unlike many of the games we see these days. no game has impressed me visually this much since wind waker ^_^

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I love it! Basically, I am a fan of Twilight Princess' design, but I always found it was too dark for me. Personally, the next best design would be Ocarina of Time's design. (I like WW, PH and ST's as well but leaving Toon Link aside for a moment...) I suppose the minor faults were cleared up in the release of Ocarina of Time 3D but I still prefered the actual design of TP Link minus the dark side of it. Then I saw the design for SS and I could not help but smile. I love the lightness of it, for one thing. The characters also look so realistic, which I love. That was the one thing with Ocarina of Time, just a few things in the design made it look less real.

I like Zelda's new design as well; she looks cute and in some sense it is nice to see her looking less Princess like this time. I think Link lookes well animated, and by this I mean his facial features really come alive. Although this has been consistant throughout most of the games, it really ties in well with how real he looks and the combination is winning. The whole game design has a very free kind of style and sense, along with the music. I definitely think this could be my favourite design yet!

Pen

The game is on!
I really love this new art style! Before I knew about it, WW and TP were the games with my favorite art styles. But now with the new SS art style (which seems to be a combination of the two) it has most certainly gotten to first place in the Zelda series art style competition! :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
They're really great. It's come to the point where it's no longer just a mix of WW and TP graphics, but a style that is unique to the game. The graphics flow together to where it's like looking at a painting. Definitely the best work Nintendo's done so far.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I just love how stuff gets blured when objects are really close and really far, the paint dabs make it feel so special I think.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Two words:

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!

There is nothing I don't love about the art style of Skyward Sword! It's my favorite out of any Zelda game I've ever seen, including the Wii U demo. It took the awesome graphics of the Wind Waker and made them better ten-fold. They're definately not as bland and boring as I thought Twilight Princess's graphics were. Skyward Sword's graphics are PERFECT!!! In case you couldn't tell by now, I love them!!!

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I admire the watercolor detail, the Team-Fortress style cel-shading in characters and clothing, and how the art is a homage to the original Zelda games.

Link Master

The Hero's Master
In my opinion it looks beautiful Nintendo did not mess up on this game. I think that they should not have copied Wind Waker at first so I am glad they made it slightly darker (that's what it looks like in my opinion).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it may be my favorite art style of the series graphically (unless were including the wii u demo)
I certainly agree with you there, It is certainly the best art style for them to have used with the wii, twilight princess had textures that were far too detailed for the wii's low power level and that made the game blurry. Skyward sword however looks very smooth and the textures are just right. I would say that Skyward sword has the best art style of any wii game that I have seen so far. The clouds look beautiful and the way objects in the distance look like paint daubs is very original and pretty. I like that they have used a character model for link that is similar to twilight princess's link rather than go for a wind waker link look as I just prefer people in games to be proportional and resemble real people to a degree. Wind waker link would get neck problems with a head so big.

I'm not too fond of the way Link's face looks though haha.
I think it looks OK, but I doubt he would get as many girls as twilight princes's link or OOT3D's link, but I will certainly not be looking at links face when Ghirahim is in the room anyway.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Twilight Princess Link is ugly, OoT Link is okay, I think SwS Link is the best looking.
fixsslink.png

The art and graphics in Skyward Sword are immaculate, to say the very least! SS might have the best art direction yet; only rivaling The Wind Waker in creativity, in my opinion. Twilight Princess' graphics were awesome, because they were very realistic to a degree never seen before in the Zelda series, though it lacked that substantial "special something" that both WW and SS exude naturally...:yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom