• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Split-Timeline-Placement?

M

MOTOVRES

As everyone knows, Nintendo has released as official a timeline as we are likely to see for some time, and there at the top sits Skyward Sword as promised. But I've been reading some very interesting and convincing theories regarding the possibility of Skyward Sword actually falling in 2 separate places on the Timeline due to it's Time-Travel aspects and don't see anything here discussing this yet.

The basics are that the "PAST" in Skyward Sword is the actual prequel to Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. The major evidence centers around the fact of the Master Sword is left there. The Sacred Temple becomes the new Temple of Time, and the Temple of Time eventually becomes Arbiter's Grounds. (Think about the locations of these places in Skyward Sword and how they seem to change/fit into Ocarina and TP). As for the Triforce, Skyward Sword makes it very confusing as far as where it will be kept. Impa says, IN THE PAST, that she will take it and hide it. Yet there it sits, at the end of the game, with Link and Zelda in the PRESENT.

The "PRESENT" in Skyward Sword is being linked more and more to Wind Waker for a number of reasons. There's been discussion elsewhere, as well as here, about the increased presence of WATER in Skyward Sword as you progress being a huge hint, coupled with a similar overworld device to Wind Waker. Some have even suggested that the fact that you bring Species from the ground to the sky could be an even larger hint that these species evolve into the forms we see in Wind Waker, and that the "Islands in the Sky" of Skyward Sword in fact become the Islands of the Great Sea after the flood.

I don't really go for the Wind Waker connection, but the "Past" being the prequel section and the "Present" being in another era is still intriguing to me.

There are plenty more details that I am sparing, but hopefully this sparks some discussion.

EDIT: Added from below to fuel discussion:

Anyway I will stop pushing the topic (bumping), but think about it! The Master Sword is now in the Past! Demise was defeated in the past, Impa did not need to watch over The Imprisoned! The Thunder Dragon was cured of his sickness and did not die (in that way at least)! This is the kind of stuff Doc Brown was talking about people!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This is off. Way off, in fact. The past and present aren't separated in Skyward Sword. There was no split created. It's all on one timeline until the end of Ocarina of Time, one timeline in an alternate universe where Link failed, and two timelines where he succeeded (one time left behind, one time returned to).

M

MOTOVRES

Yeah I hear ya, but there is talk out there and I think that there is a possibility that another game could take place between the "Past" of Skyward and the "Present" of Skyward. I mean that's like, what, 1000+ years?

Here's what a reader at Gonintendo had to say:

Also....I'd like to say something a little off topic (though still revolves around Skyward Sword)...I know this isn't a timeline theorist kind of thread by any stretch...but I'd like to bring up the timeline to see what everyone else thinks....I read an article on IGN that mainly had the guy complaining about how they added a "Hero was defeated" timeline, but he brought up something that I think they might actually do. Split the timeline again, but at Skyward Sword....if that's the case then all of the games we have thus far wouldn't be on this new timeline(s) that could be added. I know that the time travel is different, but a paradox does come into place with Skyward Sword. Demise. He was defeated in the present time, but then you also had to go back and seal him away for good in the past....well if that's the case, he was sealed away in the past making it so he wouldn't exist in the present time for you to even have to worry about defeating. I think it opens up possibilities that they'll split it again, not saying that it definitely will happen....but I think they might be more inclined to do it now that they have given us the timeline for Zelda. We know how all of the other Zelda games come into place, and splitting the timeline again will just have people theorizing about how the games fall into place all over again. Which is what Nintendo liked in the first place. Not knowing definites about how games fit in makes it feel more like a Legend. I think they released the Historia solely for the fans because of the 25th anniversary....but anyways, my point was to see if anybody else agreed or thought it was possible. I'd like to hear any thoughts either way.

And from Zelda Universe:

To be honest, I don't think the major part of the game is a prequel to OoT. I think when they go back in time to seal Demise and put the Master Sword where it belongs, THAT's the part of the game that lies before OoT. The rest of the game, I think, lies between OoT/Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

Why, you ask? Well, for starters, the Zora seem to have evolved into this new species that will eventually disappear. Skyward Sword features all these Loftwings which could very well be what will evolve into the Rito race (along with the Mogma, but I'll talk about that later). The Kikwi look an afwul lot like what would be the transition between Kokiri and Koroks (if you have a look at their human arms). Civilization has already ceased to exist on the surface, which made it easy for the Water Dragon to flood Faron Woods (which are only called Faron Woods since TP). Three Gorons and all male? Don't think they will give birth to an entire race. No, these guys are pretty much the last of their kind.

But what gave it all away to me was Lanayru Desert. First of all you have these Timeshift Stones and Orbs, which show you what the desert was like in the past. All this technology we've never seen, in a game prior to OoT? I didn't think so. To me, this looks like the last and best technology Hyrule/the surface has seen before the flood. Also, when you look at what the desert looked like in the past, it looks an awful lot like Lanayru in Twilight Princess. The Sea of Sand/Water reminded me of Lake Hylia, too.

Also, keep in mind that in the sidequests, you bring (thus save) a Mogma and a Kikwi to the skies, but no Goron. Which means they would go extinct after the flood, and that maybe the Mogma could be the Rito's predecessors (I don't know whether it's them or the Rito).

And then we have small winks, such as the art style (which is literally the transition between TP and WW), and the fact that if you would flood the surface up to the level of the sky islands, you would have an overworld similar to WW's.. So as I have said before, I think the final battle and final scenes (ergo, when you cross the Gate of Time) take place before OoT, and possibly as the first things to happen in the timeline, but the major part of the story doesn't. It's a prequel to Wind Waker.

Anyway I will stop pushing the topic (bumping), but think about it! The Master Sword is now in the Past! Demise was defeated in the past, Impa did not need to watch over The Imprisoned! The Thunder Dragon was cured of his sickness and did not die (in that way at least)! This is the kind of stuff Doc Brown was talking about people!!!

Okay that's it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I've yet to see this official timeline that everone is talking about could someone please send me a link to the site or if it's an actual thread on ZD then that will do also.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Okay thanks and while I haven't played the Oracle games the rest of the parts of the timeline makes and has Nintendo truly revealed the timeline because I don't they ever will it's one of those things keeps fans like me wanting to buy the games.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Your theory About the Whole SS creating a split is off,but I think you are right with the whole demise being defeated in the past thing,It just doesn't make any sense to me,But as to when you touch on impa.She didn't stay in the past to keep the seal on demise,she stayed to watch over the master sword.

I dont think ss is in two separated places, because even link placing the master sword in the past, in the present still there's no hyrule, and i think link and zelda form the royal family in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom