• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Scorpion Boss?

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I was reading the ZeldaDungeon description of the Scorpion boss, and it said to slash at the claws perpindicular to the way the claw opened up. I read the rest of it and realized something: You only use your sword in this battle. Never, in a 3D Zelda Temple boss, have you only used your sword to defeat it. Why now, in Skyward Sword? Is it some demo boss for the WiiMotion Plus? I seriously hope you need to use an item on it.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Well one, we only saw a glimpse of that battle, so it is still possible that some other item is used in a way we didn't see, maybe during another stage or something. Two, SS is confirmed to have a greater emphasis on swordplay with the 1:1 controls, and I for one think that's wonderful. Less gimmicks, more fighting.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The battle really disappointed me when I first saw how it turned out, but once I noticed that the second claw would move, I was intrigued. Then when the head butting came in and the Scorpion had done 2 hearts of damage I was quite satisfied. The monster had been quick with its attacks, and with the damage it could do I was throughly impressed.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'm going to agree with Xinn. Plus, why do we always need to use an item? What's wrong with just using your sword? This game seems to be all about being different, and using only the sword isn't a huge deal.

Besides, it's only one boss. I'm sure others will require items! :)

well we don't even know if this is a dungeon boss yet. I think its a miniboss, besides it may be that other items are more effective and nobody tried them out.

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
I love the idea, actually. Starting with Oot, the majority of the bosses are usually fought from afar with some sort of ranged weapon to stun them. After they're stunned, only then can you use your sword on them. What fun is that? You might as well not even have a sword... Zelda games have been seriously lacking ACTUAL swordfights as of late. And if you're all up in their face fighting them head-to-head they have a much better chance to actually damage you. I think one of the reasons Zelda games have become easy is because, well, the enemies usually can't even reach you with their attacks! Link is off somewhere shooting them with arrows or something.>_<

I would much rather have a swordfight that requires skill than a few seconds of mindless hack 'n' slash after the boss has been stunned with a gimick item... Nintendo is bringing Zelda back to its roots and I love it!

But I have another idea... Why not have the best of both worlds? Say for example you're fighting a darknut captain for a boss or something. The darknut is wrapped in armor and therefore invincible to Link's sword. Instead of knocking its armor off with your sword (which isn't very realistic) like in TP, you could use the dungeon item in a creative way like... er... making something heavy fall on it and crack its armor open (not a very good example but meh). Then, intead of laying there stunned for you to hack and slash at it, gets up and engages you in the swordfight now that it doesn't have it's heavy armor and is more agile. I think this is what some of you meant as I look back at the posts now but... oh well.

Sorry for the long post ._.

Last edited:

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
isen't there a possibility that this is just a mini-boss? or did I miss something, was it was confirmed as a boss? i dunno but you never actually see if it gives you a heart container or not, you don't get to see it explode, and you don't get to see any warping out of the dungeon so I'm not convinced yet that it is a boss. I think it's a really great example of what is to come but it doesn't stand up to previous bosses in size or in the amount of time spent killing them, the battle was extremly short and Personally I think I could deafeat it quite quickly now that I have seen how to do it. If this was a boss that that was a somewhat dissapointing spoiler. I say it's a mini boss cause it reminded me of the room were you fight the monkey in YP for the Gale Boomerang, one entrance, in a circular room and a quick sub boss battle that earns you the dungeon item. I don't think they showed the names of the mini bosses in TP either. well it makes sense to me anyway...

Actually I just watched the video again and It looked like it skips over the intro scene for the boss (or mini boss) this has me confused but im gunna stick by my guess.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
I have the feeling that the scorpion was either just a mini boss or a demo boss. Because the "arena" that you fought it in didn't give off that cool feeling as if you're in an epic battle. In Zelda games, you're usually in a dark cave or something like that that has an atmosphere where, before you even see the boss, you know that you're going to fight one. To me, the battle did look a lot more challenging than the bosses in TP and whatnot (thank god!), but it didn't really have that boss vibe to it.

And as for the idea of not using weapons against bosses, I don't mind that at all. It would break the whole cycle of "go in here, get this item, and kill the boss with that item". It would make the fight a lot more interesting and difficult, so I'm totally for it.

Zora Link

I hate being nice. D:
This gave me a picture in my head.

Remember the first dungeon in ST?

Forest Temple (Forest themed obviously)
Main Item: Whirlwind
Boss: Stagnox, Armored Colossus

And here's an SS prediction:

*E3 demo stage is the first dungeon*
Main Item: Beetle
Boss: Scorpion

See? Both are forest themed. The Whirlwind and Beetle were the first new items to be revealed in ST and SS and have similar uses. Both bosses are giant insects.

I was reading the ZeldaDungeon description of the Scorpion boss, and it said to slash at the claws perpindicular to the way the claw opened up. I read the rest of it and realized something: You only use your sword in this battle. Never, in a 3D Zelda Temple boss, have you only used your sword to defeat it. Why now, in Skyward Sword? Is it some demo boss for the WiiMotion Plus? I seriously hope you need to use an item on it.

There are two points that I can directly point out here, it's mainly because we have only seen a small clip of the battle. Like Xinnamin said, we have only seen an extremely small section of the battle with the Scorpion, so all we got to see was Link using his sword to slash across the Scorpion's claws. We can't really state how to beat this enemy entirely until we either get to see another clip showing if another item is being used.

I don't remember Nintendo stating that this Scorpion is a definately a Boss that we find at the end of a temple, and therefore could very well be a Mini-boss in a temple. This doesn't require a second item from Link to beat him, as we have seen with plenty of mini-bosses before. Mini-bosses like the Darknut and monkey mini-boss never required for the player to use an item outsided of Link's sword, thus you wouldn't need one for this one. However, this last section is only correct if I am right about the Scorpion boss not being stated as a full end of temple boss.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I'm starting to think that this is a miniboss. At the beginning of the "boss battle video", it shows Link walking through a dungeon door, and as soon as he walks in, bars come down over the door. This is what happens in every 3D Zelda miniboss. In boss battles, the door is much bigger, and there are no bars over it. Also, in the background, you can see another door, implying that there is still more to the dungeon after fighting the scorpion. However, this seems like a very difficult miniboss if it can do two hearts of damage in one attack.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
Like Xinnamin said, we have only seen an extremely small section of the battle with the Scorpion, so all we got to see was Link using his sword to slash across the Scorpion's claws. We can't really state how to beat this enemy entirely until we either get to see another clip showing if another item is being used.

Actually, you don't use any other weapons at all. There is a full length video of a guy playing the SS demo and defeating the scorpion "boss". In the video, he only fights it with his sword. And here's another thing to point out: when it dies, it explodes and all you get are rupees, so it's either a mini-boss or a demo-boss. When you kill an actual boss, you get a heart container.

The link to the video is here (I found it on the Zelda Informer website): http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/06/skyward-sword-demo-gameplay.php
Just skip to time 8:05 in the video and you'll see him kill the scorpion (although he's not very enthusiastic about it....).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom