• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword Items

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This thread is devoted to the items in Skyward Sword. I'll be providing the screenshots & descriptions and what not, but feel free to comment!

Major Items

Beetle

The Beetle is a new item to the Zelda series and is one of the most unique ones yet. Shaped similarly to a beetle, hence the name, it latches onto Link’s arm and is capable of taking off and flying through the air. While in the air, it can grab certain items like hearts and rupees and bring them back to Link, as well crash into switches to activate them. If the Beetle crashes or flies for too long, it will deactivate and automatically return to Link. Link can also stop it in midair at will. It is controlled through the use of the Wii Motion Plus by twisting the Wii Remote left, right, up, and down, steering the Beetle in the desired directions in the process. It is received in the Skyview Temple in the Deep Wood.

zeldasss0929uk026bygoni.jpg

beetlen.jpg

-Via an upgrade, the Beetle can obtain large pincers, allowing it to pick up larger items, such as bombs. This version is called the Hook Beetle. The upgrade is mandatory, but is done for free by an Ancient Robot in the Lanayru Desert. Other upgrades, known as the Quick and Tough Beetle, will also allow it to fly faster and farther.

Bombs

Bombs make their return in Skyward Sword, which is not surprising, seeing as they’ve been in every game but Zelda II. But they have taken on a new feature in this time around. With the use of the Wii Motion Plus, Bombs can not only be thrown, but can be rolled along the ground like a bowling ball, allowing them to be used much more diversely in puzzles and other random things in the overworld. Bomb flowers can also be picked up and placed in the Bomb Bag, allowing Link to stock up on bombs without having to purchase them. The Bomb Bag is given to Link by a Mogma in the Earth Temple in Eldin Volcano.

bombbagget.jpg

zeldaskywardswordvolcan.jpg

-There are no upgrades to the Bombs themselves, but bigger Bomb Bags are able to be obtained throughout the game.

Bow

The Bow is a major staple item in the series and once again returns in Skyward Sword. As in Twilight Princess (Wii), the Bow is used by pointing the Wii Remote at the screen, only this time it’s much more realistic. Through use of the Wii Motion Plus, the Bow is now used like a real Bow. Just like in Wii Sports Resort, the Nunchuk must be pulled back with the Wii Remote pointed towards the screen to fire an arrow. This means that the “quick-fire” ability the Bow had in Twilight Princess (in both GC and Wii versions) is no longer available, making the Bow an item that must be used wisely and pretty much long-range only. The arrows' distance also depends on how much a circle meter charges up before fire. One notable feature about the arrows is that they can pierce things such as hearts to a wall, allowing them to easily be obtained across a gap. It is received in the Sandship in the Lanayru Sand Sea.

bowyhg.jpg

scaled.php

-Two upgrade designs have been seen and are known as the Iron Bow and Sacred Bow, both of which allow arrows to be shot farther. The Sacred Bow also charges the arrow's velocity to full power almost instantly. As with the Bombs, there will be larger quivers throughout the game in order to hold more arrows at a time.

Slingshot

The Slingshot makes another comeback in Skyward Sword, as it did in Twilight Princess. However, this time it won’t be cast aside. The Slingshot functions like the Bow did in the Wii version of Twilight Princess with a simple point-and-click style of fire. Since the Bow functions like a real bow in Skyward Sword, the Slingshot will be the easy item to use to shoot close-range enemies, such as Keese. This is good news to fans, as it gives the Slingshot a reason to co-exist with the Bow, unlike in Twilight Princess where it was made obsolete once the Bow was received. The Slingshot has the same circle meter the Bow does. It is given to Link by the Kikwi Elder after Link finds all the missing Kikwis.

slingshotget.jpg

scaled.php

-The one and only upgrade for the Slingshot is the Scattershot. It gives the Slingshot a spread-shot function, making the Slingshot more like a shotgun. This only works when the shot is fully charged, though.

Whip

The fan-favorite item the Whip makes its return in Skyward Sword. A very recent item to the series, introduced in Spirit Tracks, the Whip is capable of grabbing items off of the ground and out of the air, but can also be used as a weapon. Through use of the Wii Motion Plus, the Whip is used by flicking the Wii Remote in the direction the player desires it (the Whip) to go. It will also be used like the Grappling Hook by swinging across gaps, as well as grab objects in dungeons to open the path forward, just like in Spirit Tracks. It is received in the Ancient Cistern in Lake Floria.

zeldasss1005uk023bypidg.jpg

whipswing.jpg

-There are no upgrades for this item.

Clawshots

The Double Clawshots make their return in Skyward Sword (only under a slightly different name), and function just like they did in Twilight Princess. Just point at the screen and fire away. They latch on to designated points such as vines and "latch-on targets". Unlike in Twilight Princess, each Clawshot is not received separately. The Clawshots come in a pair automatically in Skyward Sword. They are received in Nayru's Silent Realm in the Lanayru Province.

clawshots.jpg

clawshots2.jpg

Gust Bellows

The Gust Jar from The Minish Cap makes its return in Skyward Sword, only under a different name: the Gust Bellows. It's very similar to the F.L.U.D.D. from Super Mario Sunshine, only it blows out air instead of water. It is used to do things such as blow away sand to uncover spike traps and doors, kill certain enemies, and keep an air flow on revolving switches to keep carts moving. It is found in the Lanayru Mining Facility in the Lanayru Desert.

gustbellows.jpg

gustjarss.png

Minor Items

Bug Net

After 20 years since its first appearance in A Link to the Past, the Bug Net makes its return in Skyward Sword. Through use of the Wii Motion Plus, it is swung just as the sword would be. It will just be used to catch bugs to be used to power up potions, as well as birds for their feathers for reasons unknown at this point. It is purchased from Beedle on Beedle Island in the Sky.

bugnetget.jpg

zeldasss1005uk046bypidg.jpg

-The upgrade for this item turns the handle and outline around the net blue and is known as the Big Bug Net. It makes catching bugs much easier.

Digging Mitts

An item very similar to the Mole Mitts from The Minish Cap, the Digging Mitts are used to dig up treasure buried underneath the ground. They are non-equipable, however, meaning they will probably not be used to dig through walls like the Mole Mitts were. They are given to Link by a Mogma in Eldin Volcano.

diggingmittsget.jpg

diggingmitts.jpg

-The Digging Mitts have an upgraded version known as the Mogma Mitts.

Mogma Mitts

The Mogma Mitts are a fancier version of the Digging Mitts and are received in the Fire Sanctuary. They have the same function as the Digging Mitts, but they also can dig underground, which then goes to an overhead view. Link can break through rocks and such underground with the Mogma Mitts in a Bomberman-style sequence. They are received in the Fire Sanctuary in the Eldin Province.

mogmamitts.jpg

mogmamittsunderground.jpg

Bottles

As always, the Bottles return in Skyward Sword. They can hold things like potions, water, fairies, and a new addition, mushroom spores. This time around, there are 5 of them to collect, breaking tradition of the usual 4, just like Majora's Mask did. Using Bottles in this game also does not pause the game. They are used in real time, meaning they must be used carefully while around enemies. But it's not all bad. This also means that Link can drink potions on the run.

emptybottle.jpg

linkwithbottle.jpg

Other Items

Sailcloth

The Sailcloth works similarly to the Deku Leaf from The Wind Waker in that it's used as a parachute. It's used when Link jumps off his bird to safely land on the land below the clouds (and when in the air in general) and when Link steps over a gust of air coming from the ground. Its icon automatically appears on the B trigger for those moments only, as it's non-equippable. It's also used to get back to Skyloft via one of the Save Statues. It once belonged to Zelda and has her bird symbol, which looks similar to the Hylian Royal Crest.

sailcloth.jpg

unled23b.jpg

Goddess's Harp

The Goddess's Harp is the musical instrument of Skyward Sword, marking the first time that an accompaniment instrument has been used in the Zelda series. As the name suggests, it once was wielded by the Goddess, Hylia, that fought Ghirahim and the rest of the Demon Lords in the backstory of Skyward Sword. It is used by strumming the air with the Wii Remote and uses rhythm-based songs, making it a sort of mix between the ocarina and the Wind Waker. One notable feature of it is its identical design of Sheik's lyre from Ocarina of Time.

sharpct.jpg

harps.jpg

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
The unknown item is the Gust-Bellow, I'm almost 100% certain!

L'item inconnue est le "Gust-Below", j'en suis presque completement sur!

Farore

Goddess of Courage
These are really good descriptions! Thank you so much for putting this on here :]

Im not yet sold on the beetle. To me, it seems unZelda-like in a way. Though, I'm quite positive that it will grow on me once I get used to it.

@farore the beedle will be a piece of technologie from zelda its good to see that think about even new items whit that tech also the unknow item looks more like the old model of the gust bellow that is what i am thinking about it

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I thought of that that, too, but it looks quite a bit different. Who knows, though, maybe it is. If that "color changing dungeon" is the one in the desert, then it probably is.

I think it just got redesigned, like the whip...

Je pense qu'il a just une nouvelle apparence, comme le fouet...

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Nice compilation of information on Skyward Sword's materials! I hope to see it made into a stickied thread. ^^

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
J' peux pas attendre d'utilisé le fouet et le "Gust-Below"!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
how do you know the mole mitts are non-equipable? no one has ever said that. the fact that we sew that Link can use it without equipping it is nothing. we are also able to use the sailcloth without doing so. besides, in one trailer we sew link using it to dig, or cling on to something http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/2...skyward-sword-opening-trailer?objectid=872155 at abut 1:17

I'm basing what I said off of the GI video of the dowsing system. When Link got over the digging place, it said to press A to dig. Link didn't equip the mitts to the B trigger upon doing this. I know that's not necessarily concrete proof, but it sure seems to suggest that they're just an item used only for digging in certain spots.

I'm basing what I said off of the GI video of the dowsing system. When Link got over the digging place, it said to press A to dig. Link didn't equip the mitts to the B trigger upon doing this. I know that's not necessarily concrete proof, but it sure seems to suggest that they're just an item used only for digging in certain spots.
i don't think it's true, and Im there will be more uses to the mole mitts and that it will be upgradable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom